Stripping paint from aluminium coach sides

I have some BSL Aluminium coach sides which need the paint sreipping frm them, my preffered method is to use caustic soda but this is no good for aluminium. I guess oven cleaner will be the same as caustic soda, I don't realy want to have to use brake fluid as the misses will not like it in the utility room.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

If there's no plastic bits involved Nitromors or cellulose thinners will shift most things.

Now this isn't definite, but I've a vague recollection that Nitromors is caustic, and that aluminium doesn't like caustic.

..... on the other hand, I might be typing absolute rubbish !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi I use brake fluid for a lot of paint stripping, buy yourself a good size tupperware tub and a couple of litres of brake fluid, a toothbrush or fine wire wool brings any paint off a treat, kill off the brake fluid with soapy water, then rinse that off with neat clean water.

Hope this helps

Craig.

Now this isn't definite, but I've a vague recollection that Nitromors is caustic, and that aluminium doesn't like caustic.

..... on the other hand, I might be typing absolute rubbish !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've used Nitromors myself on some old BSL coaches, with no adverse consequences to the sides - it did dissolve the plastic underframe bits - but then I should have removed those first (ooops), It also dissolved all the glue and left me with a kit of parts again.

Just make sure you remove any plastic bits you want to keep and rinse afterwards with white spirit

Archived