7mm Bulldog 'Seagull'

Dave

Click on 'more reply options'. At the bottom of the window will appear a 'browse' button. Click, and find the photo in your files. Click on 'Open' and it will appear in the empty box next to 'browse' button. Click on 'attach' and it will appear above the 'brows'e button and then click on 'Add this post'. It should then appear in the main message window and you can add further text to your reply.

I think that makes sense!!

REgards

Sandy

post-13060-0-93764900-1329227228.jpg

Hi Sandy, I think I've sorted it if you can see the picture then we have succeeded.

Dave.

Looking at the GA drawing, it looks like No.1 is the base for a sniffing vale, And No. 2 will be a pressure relive valve for the cylinders.

I agree with Paul, item no.1 is the flange upon which is mounted the anti-vacuum valve (although the valve appears to have been omitted) and item no.2 is a cylinder relief valve (tilted upwards as the valve is at right angles to the cyliner cover).

The drawing shows the engine to have piston valves underneath the cylinders... and I feel that the piston valve covers do have the external cover / sleeve shown for the piston valve rod.

regards, Graham

Is the('No 2 in your drawing) the small 'three cornered' item and do you think there should be one for each cylinder? y

The 3-cornered item is indeed the casting for a late Churchward anti-vacuum valve and positioned the correct way up, the device has a mushroom valve inside and steam pressure pushes the valve up against a seat. Shut the regulator, steam pressure drops and and the valve falls away from the seat thereby opening the passageway to the atmosphere.

As the engine has a central steam chest then there is no need for more than one anti-vacuum valve and for convenience that valve is fitted to the centre of the front face of the steam chest.

regards, Graham

As the engine has a central steam chest then there is no need for more than one anti-vacuum valve and for convenience that valve is fitted to the centre of the front face of the steam chest.

regards, Graham

Hello Graham,

would the snifting valve have been the same size as one on say a Castle with one? to each steam chest? Or would it be slightly larger as it is working for the two steam chests.

TIA

OzzyO.

In my version I cut three sides of the footplate half-etch cutout and bent the remainder down between the frames. I needed to trim the sides at a slight angle to clear the chassis underneath the smoke box. My intention is to make a sub-plate with the snifter and pressure relief valves, and valve tails and fit to the part of the footplate that you can see in the photograph. Somehow you seem to be able to see more of mine that Ozzyo's, or is it a trick of the light and grey paint?

She ran faultlessly without any electrical shorts on our club layout this afternoon which justifies the electrical pick up system used.

Very pleased! Now to the paint shop!!

Sandy

post-7733-0-72334000-1329341920_thumb.jpg

would the snifting valve have been the same size as one on say a Castle with one? to each steam chest? Or would it be slightly larger as it is working for the two steam chests.

Many years back I spent time sorting the patterns for GWR non-ferrous castings and there was only the one set of patterns for anti-vacuum valves. As far as I can recall there was only one size of such fitting in the GWS stores. Finally, I recall a GWR stores catalogue dated circa 1920 and that had just size of fitting - available in two styles, [a] early Churchward as seen on Stars and Saints plus late Churchward / Collett style a per most preserved engines. In truth, I have never seen an example of the early style!.

regards, Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Sandy,

I'm doing it again, hijacking your thread.

I posted this photo a few mess. back showing the front cylinder face as supplied in the kit

post-8920-0-91925700-1330261682_thumb.jpg

and after I did a bit of work on it

post-8920-0-71079000-1330261753_thumb.jpg

Any photos of your front end, Sandy?

ATB

OzzyO.

Well, here she is. Finished.

post-7733-0-51966300-1330518982_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-23070300-1330519022_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-38642000-1330519061_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-77232100-1330519163_thumb.jpg

My next project is a repair to a David Andrews 'British Legion' which has been the subject of a botched repair to the cab roof.

I have managed to remove the roof without further damage and a new one will be fitted. The side sheets to the cab will also need cosmetic attention and a new set of cab doors fabricated.

post-7733-0-88799800-1330519415_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-40462400-1330519461_thumb.jpg

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

I'm not normally that keen on seagulls as they c##p all over the place, but these are the grey and white ones we have around here, but this black and green one would be very welcome. A nice looking job on her, well done. Who did the painting?

I'm never that keen on having to work on locos that have been painted, more-so when it involves de-soldering parts. In the second photo of 6170 it looks like there's a lot of oxide to remove from the cab eaves.

Best of luck on that one mate,

OzzyO.

Hello Sandy,

I'm not normally that keen on seagulls as they c##p all over the place, but these are the grey and white ones we have around here, but this black and green one would be very welcome. A nice looking job on her, well done. Who did the painting?

I'm never that keen on having to work on locos that have been painted, more-so when it involves de-soldering parts. In the second photo of 6170 it looks like there's a lot of oxide to remove from the cab eaves.

Best of luck on that one mate,

OzzyO.

Thanks for the nice comments Ozzyo. The painting is all mine I'm afraid. Like you I don't like reworking models that have been damaged but the owner was almost in tears when he showed me the state that the engine had been returned to him in. As I know the engine from when it was originally built, I felt that I had to do something to help him out and try to return it to something like its former glory.

Regards

Sandy

"Seagul" is absolutely beautiful Sandy; those locos have a very solid hard-working look about them. I always enjoy seeing City of Truro, great big chunks of metal rivetted together, captured perfectly in your Bulldog.

great bit of work there Sandy, sorry if I missed it last Saturday at Llanbedr, but will hopefully see it at the April meet.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Sej, appreciated.

Mike

You didn't miss it on Saturday as it was still in the paint shop, but I am sure it will appear there at some time in the future. Due to the Bolton show it was a quieter day but we still had a super running session when the rest were at lunch!

Regards

Sandy

The "Bulldog" has always been one of my favorite steamers! I´d give an arm and a leg to own an O scale model of it, but my kitbuilding skills won´t be sufficient to build one and my funds don´t allow for a purchase - a HUGE SIGH!

Come on you expert GW types. Why has no one spotted my painting error??????? URG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

That shouldn't be to bad to touch up with a small brush and a steady hand, I thought you were going to say something drastic like you used Brunswick green by mistake :D .

ATB, Martyn.

Hi Sandy,

That shouldn't be to bad to touch up with a small brush and a steady hand, I thought you were going to say something drastic like you used Brunswick green by mistake :D .

ATB, Martyn.

Nothing quite so bad Martyn. In fact I used Railmatch post 1928 green and although I don't like Railmatch paint, the colour appears very good. I have already repainted the springs with my Winsor & Newton series 7 oo brush, Humbrol 85, and a very steady hand!!

Regards

Sandy

Archived