The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

The other day SWMBO and myself witnessed Dunnock behaviour that we have never seen before. What we think was the female was standing (well not still really) with her vent exposed and the male was jumping around in a very excited way and pecking around her backside! They didn't mate that we could see but I've never seen that before! Must be some sort of courting? 

Dunnocks have some very mysterious habits. As I understand it, the female will often mate with more than one male, sometimes in quick succession. DNA tests on chicks in the same nest can reveal that the brood can have more than father. It would seem the males know that females are not particularly faithful, even during their egg laying spells, and so they peck at the female's hind quarters in an attempt to get her to eject the sp_erm of a previous mate before giving her a present of their own.

Edited because the Politically Correct checker replaced one word with hashes, which tended to ruin the explanation.

Edited by jonny777

The harlequins may explain your lack of native ladybirds, because the harlequin larva will eat the native British species and are resistant to disease that can kill the native ones.

Mornin' all,

Good to see a bullfinch back in the garden this morning....one of our rare visitors, except for one spring/summer a few years back when a pair must have nested close by and both the male and female were daily visitors, eating the sunflower hearts and the buds from the ground cover cotoneaster. The siskins and redpoll seem to have left for now but there are plenty of others taking their place.

Limiting the opportunities for the pigeons & grey squirrels is working well: the pigeons are reduced to waiting for smaller birds to drop seeds or scraps from one of the pole feeders, whilst changing the time when crushed peanuts are put onto the bird table is confusing the squirrel...he appears regularly at 09.00 on his daily round but the food now goes onto the table around 10.30.

Dave

Staffs Moorlands 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

also saw red squirrel on Anglesey yesterday.

And here he/she is - only shot I got from long range, handheld and photo cropped, but not bad. This was in the grounds of the NT Plas Newydd estate near LlanfairPG.

post-6669-0-73085800-1401186058.jpg

• Like 6

Good day out at the Norfolk Wildlike Trust reserve at Hickling Broad last Saturday. Went to see if the swallowtail butterflies were about, which they were apparently, but mrs geoffers and I only caught two possibles and not confirmed. Otherwise great day. Two cuckoos, two pairs of marsh harriers, several hobbies, reed warblers (no cetti's though), pair of little egreets, a heron (close up as well as a lapwing and an avocet), a drake gadwall, common tern, and a bittern. Did not see or hear any cranes though. Loads more as well but a "grand day out".

• Like 1

Mornin' all,

We had a day out to Hickling broad to see the swallowtails too, probably 6 or 7 years ago. We left the car in the car park and I walked with my wife for around an hour before we saw 2 or 3 on their food plants but had to leave our elderly host (Jimmy) in the car with his newspaper & binoculars, as he couldn't walk far at all. We returned to the car park to tell him of our sightings, when one of the swallowtails suddenly landed on the windscreen of our car, right in front of his nose.

We all laughed at his good fortune.

Dave

• Like 3

Lucky ole yu! Have seen swallowtails but "sur le continent" where they inhabit a different habitat than do the Norfolk version. As close as Normandy in fact - and scarce swallowtails too though the latter were further south. Will pop over to Hickling again soon but the flutterbies are about in other broad/fen/milk parsley areas in Norfolk.Seeing the bittern (a good view flying away from us) was a big wow moment. Have heard them recently but the last time (and only time) I had seen one before was in a reedy ditch in 1981 on the way back from a night shift at RAF Conibgsby along a minor road. Long time ago. If you can promise me seeing another one in 35 years I'll be well happy :-)

Edited by geoffers

After several days of frantic feeding from the parents, our blue tits have flown the nest (or, more precisely, the box!)

We were watching them this morning as the last of the young came out one by one. Some of them hung around the garden for a while, not quite sure what to do, and then flew off.

All quiet for another year!

• Like 1

Lucky ole yu! Have seen swallowtails but "sur le continent" where they inhabit a different habitat than do the Norfolk version. As close as Normandy in fact - and scarce swallowtails too though the latter were further south. Will pop over to Hickling again soon but the flutterbies are about in other broad/fen/milk parsley areas in Norfolk.Seeing the bittern (a good view flying away from us) was a big wow moment. Have heard them recently but the last time (and only time) I had seen one before was in a reedy ditch in 1981 on the way back from a night shift at RAF Conibgsby along a minor road. Long time ago. If you can promise me seeing another one in 35 years I'll be well happy :-)

...have seen two bitterns flying (Minsmere & Shavington) but neither sighting gave me chance to study the bird....I'm looking forward to a better opportunity too.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

Hardly garden birds but a week in Suffolk (just gone) produced great opportunities for close up footage of yellow wagtail, barn owl, reed bunting, reed warbler, black headed gull and mute swan amongst others.

Cuckoo were plentiful...calling regularly.

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An interesting incident this evening in my garden in South Devon. I was aware of a flock of swallows sounding alarm calls, and shortly afterwards a sparrow hawk dived for cover into a large Bay tree at the bottom of my garden. It quickly composed itself, saw me and flew off with at least five swallows in hot pursuit. I've never seen a bird of prey being mobbed by swallows before.

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few years back myself and SWMBO were at a birding weekend in Suffolk (details of excellent B & B and leader at Westleton, by PM; have been several times) near Minsmere and one evening we went out to seek owls. We were so lucky to see one Barny for over half an hour, just hunting at head height over its favourite field no doubt! Silent hunter!

P

...always a favourite place, Minsmere. Have been when there were uncommon birds aplenty but on the next visit the place was practically empty and there were many more birds to be seen e.g. on the Deben at Woodbridge. Their activities list is always interesting though.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dawn and dusk are great for Owls 'quartering' so I'm told.

Phil

Barn owls will hunt all day if they have young or after periods of rain - which puts them off hunting and they get hungry ! I know of at least 4 owls (maybe pairs of) within a 5 mile radius of home, capturing them on pixels / moving pixels is not so easy. They generally have favourite roosts as well as their main home, and will roam for around a mile from their home.

Last night our garden was buzzed by bats - lots of insects around and the bats were feasting.

• Like 1