Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

I had an awful time earlier today trying to prevent one of my local robins following me into the garden shed. He/she must have been rather hungry if they need to follow me into there. So I put out some of those fat balls, hoping they will prove useful for feeding them.

The best way to feed Robins is an open table or a mesh stand on the ground as they are floor feeders.

Following you into the shed isn't so bad, it's when they take the armchair and remote that you're done for.

• Like 1

I had an awful time earlier today trying to prevent one of my local robins following me into the garden shed. He/she must have been rather hungry if they need to follow me into there. So I put out some of those fat balls, hoping they will prove useful for feeding them.

How Lucky are you to get Robins there. I used to live in Kenwick (just 10 minutes away from Beckenham for the UK readers) and never saw one in 15 years. Get an occasional one up here in the Avon Valley from time to time.

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

How Lucky are you to get Robins there. I used to live in Kenwick (just 10 minutes away from Beckenham for the UK readers) and never saw one in 15 years. Get an occasional one up here in the Avon Valley from time to time.

We had 2 pairs in the garden this year, we're sure one pair bred twice going on the number of fledgeling Robins hassling us on the veg plot.

• Like 2

I always thought robins were very territorial, and would not tolerate an intruder without a fight, hence they are usually seen as a solitary bird or as a breeding pair.  I have a regular visitor in my garden, which does take food off a feeder.

This summer I have had the following little charmers in my eaves.

post-29667-0-11352600-1475524626.jpg

At first I thought they were house martins as the nest location is typical of this species, but the British Trust for Ornithology have put me right on this, and told me they are swallows, for which the nest location is not typical.

House martin numbers have been dwindling, and are now amber listed.  I understand that swallow numbers have recovered in recent years.

The swallows have now left on their migration south, leaving me to clear up the mess! 

post-29667-0-87819500-1475524922.jpg

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I always thought robins were very territorial, and would not tolerate an intruder without a fight, hence they are usually seen as a solitary bird or as a breeding pair.  I have a regular visitor in my garden, which does take food off a feeder.

In the last few years I have regularly seen three robins in my garden at once. As they are not fighting, I assume they are Mr and Mrs Robin with one of the children.

Also a few years back, I was caught in the middle of a robin singing contest. First the one on the left-hand fence would sing, then the one on the right-hand fence would sing, and the singing passed back and forth for some considerable time. As the two birds did not come to blows, I assume the border between their territories at that time went straight down the middle of my garden.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Still got 5 House Martins locally. That's twice I've thought they had all gone. I reckon this is one family or the fledged 5 from one nest site.

We have around two dozen House Sparrows back in the big hedge. That's about right after a couple of years of  lower numbers for some reason.

Need to go birding soon to get my interest revived beyond the garden.

Phil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In the last few years I have regularly seen three robins in my garden at once. As they are not fighting, I assume they are Mr and Mrs Robin with one of the children.

Also a few years back, I was caught in the middle of a robin singing contest. First the one on the left-hand fence would sing, then the one on the right-hand fence would sing, and the singing passed back and forth for some considerable time. As the two birds did not come to blows, I assume the border between their territories at that time went straight down the middle of my garden.

Only if the third one is a fledgling.

If there is enough food they'll tolerate each other, if there isn't then it's gloves off.

Went to bring the bins in this morning and there was wren on wren action underway on one of the lids. So for a couple of seconds I could say that's a male wren, that's a female wren - assuming they have got it right. Presumably the current warm spell convincing them it's an appropriate moment to bring more wrens into the world?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I am so glad to read about other people's visitors. I laid an artificial lawn last week, it's small (about 9 square metres) but the birds have vanished. The only ones at the moment are the pigeons scrambling around on the roof of my outbuilding. Which makes quite a din when I am sitting underneath. I've got some soil improver to dig into the new flower bed, perhaps some activity here will bring them back.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

I blame the magpies. Bloody things need shooting, but it isn't "PC" to do this now and their numbers are growing unchecked.

Not around here, nature is very good at balancing things without the intervention of man. When there is a large population of something the Sparrowhawk will pick them off.

They do like to pluck them in my garden though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a few days in Swanage recently, for one day we went to Arne (RSPB) while there we saw an Osprey as well as various water birds. Didn't get very good pics of the Osprey but right at the end of the day we had a barn Owl pass right in front of the hide

post-4738-0-73735300-1475780963_thumb.jpg

As she flew by the camera shutters sounded like automatic gunfire !

After Swanage we had 7 days in Menorca,  we went to their Nature reserve/park which was a pleasant day out and watched Ospreys there too, We saw one catching fish but it was on the other side of the lake.

post-4738-0-57344200-1475780981_thumb.jpg

Honest Guv...if you look you can just see a fish dangling from its talons, through the bino's we watched as a Heron hassled the Osprey which dropped the fish.

• Like 7

I am so glad to read about other people's visitors. I laid an artificial lawn last week, it's small (about 9 square metres) but the birds have vanished. The only ones at the moment are the pigeons scrambling around on the roof of my outbuilding. Which makes quite a din when I am sitting underneath. I've got some soil improver to dig into the new flower bed, perhaps some activity here will bring them back.

- Richard.

I think that patience is all that you need.

In my experience birds are very wary of anything new appearing. I bought a suet block feeder in dark green plastic and hung that up in place of one of the fat ball feeders which had been there for years and had been very popular. 

However, despite adding a brand spanking new suet block inside the feeder, it was ignored for almost a week even though the birds carried on using the other offerings. Now, they have become used to it, it has become the most popular and keeping it filled costs me a fortune.

After a few weeks absence I have noticed members of the tit family beginning to return to the garden since the nights became colder. I have had representatives from four members of the wider family - blue, great, coal, and long tailed - over the past week, which is encouraging.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

Oops fat balls had run out, long tails were not happy

That reminds me I need to get some bird food in next payday. Used up the last of my nuts at the weekend. Need to get wild bird seed, nuts, meal worms and a few packs of lard....I make my own fat balls. The birds will have to make do with what they've got for the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that patience is all that you need.

In my experience birds are very wary of anything new appearing. I bought a suet block feeder in dark green plastic and hung that up in place of one of the fat ball feeders which had been there for years and had been very popular. 

However, despite adding a brand spanking new suet block inside the feeder, it was ignored for almost a week even though the birds carried on using the other offerings. Now, they have become used to it, it has become the most popular and keeping it filled costs me a fortune.

After a few weeks absence I have noticed members of the tit family beginning to return to the garden since the nights became colder. I have had representatives from four members of the wider family - blue, great, coal, and long tailed - over the past week, which is encouraging.

Yes, my robin came back at the weekend :-).

It hopped around the lawn and seemed to be finding something - I guess either bits of soil from my shoes or something fallen from the trees above. Any way, it was good to see some life returning to the patch.

- Richard.

• Like 5

What can be done to scare away both feral and domestic cats from bird feeders and the back yard in general  ?

NOTE : Let us leave the 12 gauge in the cupboard for now !

I do find that Catwatch, as recommended by the RSPB is pretty successful.  Not 100%, and it does take time (months) for them to get it into their thick heads that there are nicer places to go, but the areas that are covered in my garden are definitley less prone to cat invasion.

Other brands often seem to deter the birds!

Anthony

I do find that Catwatch, as recommended by the RSPB is pretty successful.  Not 100%, and it does take time (months) for them to get it into their thick heads that there are nicer places to go, but the areas that are covered in my garden are definitley less prone to cat invasion.

Other brands often seem to deter the birds!

Anthony

In addition to Catwatch, the RSPB has a page on deterring cats.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrents.aspx

John