RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Hello Chaps,

I've been out of action for a while, but am getting back on top of things.

Months ago I posted some pictures of Zebra Finches that visit my front garden, well here's a picture from yesterday and the Finch the family is getting bigger and the Cinnamon Mutant ( is that the right word?) hasn't been picked out by the hawks yet. He / She is in the Centre of the photo :)

There's also a few Juves to be seen, you can pick them by their black beaks.

post-23233-0-72955400-1487673057.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nothing in the garden to report at the moment as SWMBO is pruning stuff, so I retell a little bit of info I heard last evening. Probably known by all but here it is anyway and provided by a very experienced birder and Wildlife Trust Warden from the wilds of mid/west Notts..

The decline of the Cuckoo is (except Scotland for some reason) due to them arriving here almost to the day each year, but the birds they like to use as hosts are nesting earlier and they have then raised their young (first broods) earlier by about a month. This is as a result of that change of climate in this country that so many folk seem not to believe is happening. I don't quite get their disbelief as climate has always 'changed' throughout history. I think they mean global warming and that is a situation not for discussion here. 

Also, who knew that Ravens are higher in the food chain than Goshawks? I certainly had never realised that. 

Incidentally and for your 'visitor information', the RSPB are taking over the management of Sherwood Forest Park and this will bring investment and a brighter future for the place as a birding venue. This whole Sherwood area in North Notts is a hidden gem of the bird world, but not for much longer.

Phil

I heard a lot of screeching and carry on from my Pet Weiro (cockatiel) earlier. So popped my head out expecting to see the neighbors cat (my cats never leave the house).

Well I didn't see a cat, but a falcon, probably not much bigger than a Magpie, but much sleeker. He / She was brown and had a cream / light tan face and dark brown or black flecks. Just sitting on the front porch.

I went for the camera, but was too slow and therefore no pictures  :( , I hope it comes back, it was quite a pretty bird.

I have seen a few of the bigger hawks around after pigeons and rabbits but never one of these small brown falcons near my house.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Is it any of these? Maybe a Nakeen Kestrel?

Phil

Well done, Phil. I think that's the one.A Nankeen Kestrel.

I had a good look it's back but only a glimpse of it's face and throat as it turned it's head to look at me. Hopefully It's comes back and I get a photo.

Your link took me to a fabulous website http://rwsboa2011.blogspot.com.au/

So thanks for that.

• Like 2

A new kind of visitor to the front Garden today, they were in a family of about 6 and were poking around in bark and leaf litter after bugs and grubs. Making a funny noise that was a mixture of chirp and squawk !!! As soon as one found a grub all the others would come rushing over to investigate. They were lightening fast and  this was about the clearest picture I could get.

post-23233-0-70193200-1488336843.jpg

• Like 5

After all the excitement of a few feathered friends previously not seen by Me in my Yard in the last few days. (I'm still trying to work out what our little stripey headed mate from the other day is).

We have the return of a "Twenty Eight" Parrot in the back yard Elm Tree.

Edit - I stand corrected, this is actually a Port Lincoln Parrot (The Twenty Eight's have a Red patch between the beak and eyes) but they are both Members of the Australian Ringneck Family and occasionally crossbreed.

post-23233-0-85493600-1488628241.jpg

• Like 5

A new kind of visitor to the front Garden today, they were in a family of about 6 and were poking around in bark and leaf litter after bugs and grubs. Making a funny noise that was a mixture of chirp and squawk !!! As soon as one found a grub all the others would come rushing over to investigate. They were lightening fast and  this was about the clearest picture I could get.

attachicon.gifMar 1.JPG

Did a quick search of Birdlife.org.au and it could be a Chestnut crowned Babbler http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/chestnut-crowned-babbler

Did a quick search of Birdlife.org.au and it could be a Chestnut crowned Babbler http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/chestnut-crowned-babbler

Yes, thanks for that, that has given me a good start, but yes, it's definitely a babbler , which is actually a great name for them when you hear them. I don't think it's a chestnut crowned type however as I'm on the wrong side of the country (West). It might well be a white browed Babbler. But I'd never even have known it was a babbler if not for your detective work. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-browed_babbler

Edit - I heard them out the back again Today . They are so fast and obviously quite shy of people so again these are the best I could do..... but I managed to get a pair in the picture this time.

post-23233-0-67175900-1488706918.jpg

post-23233-0-03747000-1488706921.jpg

• Like 4

Where have they all gone ? I'll tell you, that bloomin' Sparrowhawk keeps eating them. A female took a jackdaw that was a bit larger than her yesterday: took an age and the racket was terrible, too. Sometimes you want to intervene, but you just can't...

Tony

Mine are getting very confused with the loss of the apple tree, being moved back to the rear of the garden and now having builders work during the day

post-1131-0-20675900-1489322525.jpg

The bottom of the garden is just a dumping ground whilst the build progresses, but the blackbirds like pecking around the pots and sawn up branches/trunk

The tits seemed unfazed and had a sparrow feeding 6' away from me earlier, the goldfinches do come and go a bit though

Still all will settle down in a few weeks

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We sat in the garden yesterday afternoon straining to see the Red Kites we could hear calling, eventully we figured out it was the Starlings mimicing them that we could hear. Shows how often the Kites are about if the Starlings are picking up on them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After having spentmany weeks as regular visitors to the meal worms the long tailed tits have been conspicuous by their absence, until we spotted them in next door's ash tree.

Now the tree is in bud I assume there are lots of bugs up there so the LTTs are now getting their fill foraging in the branches.

Keith

• Like 6

They are nesting here. there and everywhere. My wife's ever-optimistic use of garden twine is resulting in plants unsupported all over the garden as so many of the birds shred it and take it in beak loads for nest building. (My mother being a great knitter would put her wool ends out at this time of year, and it was a great entertainment when the blue tit box was cleaned out at summer's end, to see what they had taken and incorporated. There wasn't much on the telly back then...)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As well as the usual suspects (clouds of green and goldfinches) we have a pair of LTTs a pair of Bullfinches... and a Siskin today!

And we had a house sparrow this week too!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Righto, Not exactly in My back yard, but on the other side of Oz.

Yesterday a Cyclone named Debbie hit North Queensland with winds of up to 263 kph (I reckon that's about 160 mph in old money) It's left a trail of devastation that is hard to comprehend.

But in the aftermath, what was it that Queenslander's were concerned about ??????

This poor little beggar found in the middle of the storm

post-23233-0-69857000-1490785650.jpg

Well the good News is that the Cockatoo (which is obviously now named Debbie) made it through the night and looks a bit better today and is likely to make a full recovery

post-23233-0-76474000-1490786123.jpg

I guess it shows that Queenslander's are not only a tough bunch but have pretty big Hearts too.

Their houses and livelihoods have just been shattered, but they all want to know, is if the bird is okay !!!!!

Respect to you Queensland :)

• Like 5