The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

04.45 this morning the first Blackbird started up. Lovely singing, however it woke me up!

The Housemartins that arrived a few days ago have disappeared. I do hope they didn't freeze to death at the weekend.

Phil

Two Martins remain. 5 or so years ago we used to get 50+. 

p

Two Martins remain. 5 or so years ago we used to get 50+. 

p

We get house martins every year, AFAIK they haven't arrived yet, but the (supposedly) hot bank holiday may see their arrival. It is a huge privilege to house a nest under one's house, especially as their numbers have dwindled in recent years.

• Like 2

Saw my first swift of the year racing around above the garden this morning.  :)

We used to get house martins nesting under the eaves 25-30 years ago, but hardly see any now unless I go way out into the more rural areas. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First cuckoos of the year today. One on the west side of our river [ Kidwelly SW Wales],one on east side.Calling this morning about 8.30 and again about 4.00 this afternoon.

You are very lucky indeed. They are almost gone in the East Midlands sadly.

Phil

First cuckoos of the year today. One on the west side of our river [ Kidwelly SW Wales],one on east side.Calling this morning about 8.30 and again about 4.00 this afternoon.

Back again this morning....8.00am this time and only one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This one definitely not my back garden, and if I hadn’t of witnessed it myself I wouldn’t have believed it.

Less than 10 minutes ago, whilst fishing a large bird of prey was seen over the lake, and dived into the water and left with a fish.

On reading on line Osprey sightings in Wiltshire have recently been recorded.

What a sight!

Neil

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Three Swift here at 36E this morning.....lovely and screaming too. Out in the countryside near my garden  (ahemmmmmmm), in the area of Whitwell, Swallows on wires were spotted this morning. Made my day, as did the glorious Nottinghamshire and Debyshire countryside; beautiful.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

Three Swift here at 36E this morning.....lovely and screaming too. Out in the countryside near my garden  (ahemmmmmmm), in the area of Whitwell, Swalklows on wires were spotted this morning. Made my day, as did the glorious Nottinghamshire and Debyshire countryside; beautiful.

Phil

I forgot to mention that I saw my first Swift last Saturday while waiting at Tonbridge station.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I also forgot to mention that at another of my gardens that is the country wayside station that is Retford, there are at least three Song Thrushes singing from nearby trees. Such a pleasure when there is nothing happening (quite frequently).

Phil

• Like 3

There was a  house martin in our outhouse when I returned this morning. Somewhat puzzled about how it got in, there ain't no holes I am aware of. Clearly well habituated to the walking trees, as it perched and waited while I unlocked and opened the door.

First cuckoos of the year today....

Not heard one here (central Herts) for years. Didn't I read somewhere that this is thought to be because of an increasing mismatch between the parasitised species egg-lay timing, and the cuckoo's arrival in the UK?

• RMweb Gold

Our very bold robin flew in through an open door yesterday.

Generally, more species around than I have noticed before here. I need to do some homework to recognise them all.

Surprised by Larry's comment about buzzard. Ours here don't bother hunting anything.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There was a  house martin in our outhouse when I returned this morning. Somewhat puzzled about how it got in, there ain't no holes I am aware of. Clearly well habituated to the walking trees, as it perched and waited while I unlocked and opened the door.

Not heard one here (central Herts) for years. Didn't I read somewhere that this is thought to be because of an increasing mismatch between the parasitised species egg-lay timing, and the cuckoo's arrival in the UK?

Reed Warblers are nesting early and so Cucks miss out. They have been slower to adapt than the Warblers.

Phil

Our very bold robin flew in through an open door yesterday.

Generally, more species around than I have noticed before here. I need to do some homework to recognise them all.

Surprised by Larry's comment about buzzard. Ours here don't bother hunting anything.

RSPB site is good for recognition J. Good versions of songs/calls as well.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...RSPB site is good for recognition J. Good versions of songs/calls as well.

Phil

If you have an Android phone WP Checklist is quite good £2.79; if you are really tech savvy you can download sound files with the calls.  

The Collins guide is on iPhone at £14.99

I do not carry an Identification book anymore.

BTW, the call sounds are a really good way to wind up robins  :sungum: obv. not for very long though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Reed Warblers are nesting early and so Cucks miss out. They have been slower to adapt than the Warblers.

Phil

RSPB site is good for recognition J. Good versions of songs/calls as well.

Phil

My go to, too Ducks:

RSPB Bird Identifier

post-1328-0-65963400-1526042924.jpgpost-1328-0-61813200-1526042948.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

You could get there in a couple of hours if Woodhead is OK. Opens at 10, closes at 16.00. Cafe food from 10 till 15.00; usually very busy from 12 till 14.00. Better in the Spring.

Tell me if you are coming if you would like a bit of a guided tour for serious birding.

ATB for 2018

Phil

Idle Valley, here we come.  Arriving tomorrow for a week; we are bringing our 'scope hoping there are some water birds on the scrapes and pits.  It is a very big reserve!

• Like 2

Definately have a Red Kite in the Crockham Hill area. Saw it floating by this morning before heading off to work. Only a single one so I'll keep my fingers crossed that a pair might turn up next. Not sure what the family of Buzzards are going to make of Red Kite's moving in.

• Like 2

Definately have a Red Kite in the Crockham Hill area. Saw it floating by this morning before heading off to work. Only a single one so I'll keep my fingers crossed that a pair might turn up next. Not sure what the family of Buzzards are going to make of Red Kite's moving in.

Where I am we have both, happily co-existing in the same area - but the corvids don't like either - and mob them if they are thermaling

• Like 3

Where I am we have both, happily co-existing in the same area - but the corvids don't like either - and mob them if they are thermaling

I hope they scare away the Jackdaws we have...every bin day they are out there ripping the bags apart  and chucking the mess all over the pavements.

I hope they scare away the Jackdaws we have...every bin day they are out there ripping the bags apart  and chucking the mess all over the pavements.

We have Jackdaws in quantity down the road in the town, but they only rarely appear in the residential areas - we get more trouble with gulls,(aka flying rats) that appear the moment you put anything out for the local small garden birds. Fortunately our rubbish goes out in bags in bins, so the wildlife doesn't get at it to make a mess

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1