The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

I've slowly come to realise that a group of birds has formed during the summer, and is doing the rounds of local garden feeders on a regular basis. It is difficult to know the exact composition of the group (all juveniles) because they are constantly flying back and forth from branches to the seed feeders. However there is no mistaking them when they do arrive, because of all the constant tweeting they do (and not a smartphone in sight). 

At the last count attempt, I reckoned there were *at least* 7 blue tits, 3 coal tits and a great tit. I suppose there is safety in numbers and they can follow each other to the best food sources. I wish they would stay longer, but ten minutes is probably the best I will get for each visit; but it is great fun to watch them flitting backwards and forwards to/from the feeders. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've slowly come to realise that a group of birds has formed during the summer, and is doing the rounds of local garden feeders on a regular basis. It is difficult to know the exact composition of the group (all juveniles) because they are constantly flying back and forth from branches to the seed feeders. However there is no mistaking them when they do arrive, because of all the constant tweeting they do (and not a smartphone in sight). 

At the last count attempt, I reckoned there were *at least* 7 blue tits, 3 coal tits and a great tit. I suppose there is safety in numbers and they can follow each other to the best food sources. I wish they would stay longer, but ten minutes is probably the best I will get for each visit; but it is great fun to watch them flitting backwards and forwards to/from the feeders.

i am getting the same at times it is like our buddleia is alive ours is a mix of blue tits and sparrows up to 15 to 20 at times

• Like 3

This just gets better. This morning my blue/great/coal tit group have been joined by about 7 or 8 long tailed tits; which means almost 20 small birds flying backwards and forwards constantly around the garden. 

It is almost an invasion. They are not too bothered by me either, as long as I sit in a chair a few metres away. 

The local house sparrows seem most bemused, as they think there must be a new source of food around; but when they get to the feeders they find the same old seed as before. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

a quick question i have a large buddleia that has finished flowering so i want to give it a good prune

the birds do like to use the bush as cover from the feeders will pruning upset the birds or will they just get on with it

Thanks John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

a quick question i have a large buddleia that has finished flowering so i want to give it a good prunethe birds do like to use the bush as cover from the feeders will pruning upset the birds or will they just get on with itThanks John

They do not like change but will soon get used to it, provided you are not too enthusiastic with the pruning :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They do not like change but will soon get used to it, provided you are not too enthusiastic with the pruning :)

Thanks i do want to give it a good prune so a will do it a bit at a time letting get used to it before doing more

John

• Like 1

Yes, a few years ago the neighbours on the other side of the back of the garden slashed the ivy to replace the fence that separates us. Course they didn't bother to tell us, but at least they covered the cost themselves.

The blue tits didn't mind and proceeded to use our nestbox for a successful brood. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

well i went out this morning and gave the buddleia a good prune all the time i was out working the blue tits where sat in a tree two gardens up shouting at me to let me know they where unhappy

so i go's in makes my dinner and has a look out the buddleia is full to bursting with blue tits and goldfinches and one poor starling wishing they would be quite

john

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Havent seen any swifts, swallows or martins for a few days now.

Swifts have gone from here for about two weeks now. Martins are gathering, have not seen a Swallow for ages.

In our garden regularly now are a family of Goldfinches. Two adults and 7 fledglings  from what looks like two broods. Lovely watching these.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Goldfinch gang are now up to 16+. Strange really as the only food I have out is chopped Sunflower hearts, not Niger Seed.

There was also a flurry of 6 Collar Doves for a short while mid morning; unsure if some were fledges.

There is also a first winter Robin that has reappeared. There are still about a dozen Sparrows.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

A couple of seagulls sit on my shed roof now when I am having my butties in the garden. They are the same size as their parents but their tiny squeak separates them from the raucous din made by the adults. They seem more responsive and less edgy if I talk to them rather than making squeaky noises. Mind you, I would be edgy if they talked to me instead of making seagull noises...   :O

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Yesterday about 6.30pm a group of coal tits were going ballistic in a nearby tree. One or two were flying dozens of times between 2 trees. Lots of chirping for about 15 minutes and then silence. Tonight there was much flying again but less noise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lots of Goldfinch and tit youngsters, must have been a second brood, had to refill some of the feeders midday.

i have had lots of goldfinch fledglings the last couple of days

in fact i thought i was going to have to rescue one from a feeder today

it was one of the large double feeders and was about a third empty so there was no seed where he was

he was leaning so far in trying to get to the seed that i thought he was going to get stuck  :O

• Like 2

Ants flying en masse this afternoon, resulting in frantic action among the juveniles, (many I suspect from second broods in what must have been a favourable summer) judging by the inexperience on show. Two got into the house through open fanlights, but were very docile and cooperative in allowing me to pick them up and return them to unrestricted airspace.

• Like 3

I think some of the local parakeets may have had a second brood - they are hanging around a hole in a house which I think they raised a brood in earlier in the year.

Other fledgings observed this weekend - a juvenile blackbird, which looks like it is about to get black plumage and two crowds/rooks (never can tell) which have quite a bit of white in their plumage, particularly on the wings

• Like 1