The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its some sort of plover but which I have no idea.

I’m with you on this on two fronts: I think it’s some sort of plover, and I also have not got the foggiest as to which one!  Interesting bird, don’t think it’s a wheatear though, looks too elongated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 88D said:

On second thoughts I’m doubting my plover view as well.!

I looked up plovers and there's dozens of different variants. The one that it most resembles is a sand plover but that is usually found in India and China. Its very hard to judge the size of the bird from the photograph, a gestimate of the size of the concrete block it was standing on would help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

I looked up plovers and there's dozens of different variants. The one that it most resembles is a sand plover but that is usually found in India and China. Its very hard to judge the size of the bird from the photograph, a gestimate of the size of the concrete block it was standing on would help.

Size is everything when you’re trying to identify a bird you don’t know! Insert smiley of choice. I’m wondering along the sandpiper front now, but I’m not very good with these waders and seaside birds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jbqfc said:

are you sure it was a juvenile as the male feeds the female as part of the courtship i have been seeing lot of it this week 

John 

Yes, you could be right. Although from what I have seen of that behaviour before, the male gives a seed to the female's beak and she eats it however she fancies. 

In this recent event, the adult was pecking at the seed and feeding small pieces to the juvenile which had its beak open almost continually. 

It would not surprise me if a few birds were fooled by the warm weather at the end of March. Certainly next doors' starlings were, as I have heard nestlings under a dislodged tile there for around 10 days, and the noise is getting much louder now so the baby birds must be getting quite large. I didn't go outside yesterday much, as it rained, but I wouldn't be surprised to see juvenile starlings here before the end of April, which would be another rarity for the garden. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Just seen a blackcap in our garden and earlier  a demised thrush in the drive. Birds keep flying into our windows as we dont have net curtains.

i did this and it this works 

John 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Re Kevin's Brean plover - had a quick look through my Collins guide and the closest I could find was either a grey or red necked pharalope which have similar winter plumage. Given that it's not really winter now that's my best guess.

whilst fishing on Tuesday spotted a reed bunting, beautiful little bird.

neil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

got out first fledglings of the year in the garden 3 starlings 

making a hell of a racket while mum feeds them mealworms as fast as she can  

one even tried to have a bath did all the right movements but was not in the water but got there in the end 

John  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When I went to Tess Coes this afternoon there was half a dozen juvenile starlings making the most of the skin of a jacket potato in the car park. They were picking out the remains of potato but leaving the skins.

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

My wife had added self adhesive snowflakes  on most windows as she wasnt keen on the

lines, so far so good.

The idea of the lines is they must be vertical* so I don't think the snowflakes are effective. 

*The birds see the lines and think the gap is too narrow for them to fly through. Only vertical lines work in this case.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The idea of the lines is they must be vertical* so I don't think the snowflakes are effective. 

*The birds see the lines and think the gap is too narrow for them to fly through. Only vertical lines work in this case.

Besides snowflakes on patio doors would get Penguins running into them......;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

the starling fledgling count has now gone up to ten 

feeding time turned into a mass brawl with one even standing on this brothers head 

John 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2021 at 18:33, jonny777 said:

It still looks like a Wheatear to me. 

Agreed.  Lots of them heading north over the last month and the top of Brean Down is just the sort of place you would expect to see them.  On the other hand it would be a very unlikely spot for most waders, apart from perhaps a golden plover or dotterel, neither of which this is.

Also, the bird is clearly a passerine (songbird) just on its general proportions: compare plovers with wheatears.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

well i thought the nest box was not going to be used this year but i have just seen a great tit taking in nesting material 

this also makes a change from the usual blue tits we get  

John 

• Like 2