Southminster

gobbler

Trevor,

those pictures are 1st class, in 4mm scale this shed is just over 2ft long!!!

i'm not sure if i have the space to do the shed justice, but will let you know, when i've un rolled my wallpaper layout plan (full size in 4mm), i knew southminster had a goods shed, but i was counting on something of the size of the superquick/wills craftman shed at about 10 inches in length......

thanks again,

scott

• RMweb Gold

Glad you like them. I hope I can do a few more from that day before my film scanner goes the way of Eurostar. It was making funny noises on Saturday - and that's without snow in the works! I was allowed to photograph all four sides of the signal box as well as the goods shed. I'll try to do those next.

Scott

I have scanned a set of original GER scale drawings of Rayleigh Station buildings (as a matter of interest it was identical to Burnham-on-Crouch Station).

The only difference between these drawings and Southminster Station (I believe) is lack of second platform.

If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll forward scans.

I have put together some other scale drawings (GER/LNER/BR), showing track layout etc etc which I'll give to Jim to pass to you at the Witham Club meeting in the New Year. I understand you have a copy of my article on the station, which appeared in the GERS Journal.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

thanks, as you can see in my previous pix and the pix below, i've made a start on the station. Hope when i get your drawing my dims are not too far out.....it is still possible to make adjustments at this stage with regard to wall lengths, but not window size and positions, not without a full rebuild....not likely as due to cost of tge wills sheets......

gallery_2873_476_3007.jpg

gallery_2873_476_19347.jpg

the builing is nearly 420mm long

building at a crippled snails pace, but i'm in no rush.....

my plan is thus:-

1. build structures

2. create difinitive layout plan

3. make base boards

4. lay track

5. wire

6. get started with scenics..

7. play with trains

8. continue with scenics

9. repeat steps 7 & 8

......during all this, build coach & freight stock and my scratch built N7 using the Hornby J83 chassis

scott

Scott

The model is looking good.

Just check the link between the SM house and the first class waiting room. You have also a bit further to go in the overall length of the building, with a gents toilet beyound the porters room!

Have fun and a good Christmas/New Year.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

thanks for the station drawings.

I'm happy with the length of the waiting room between the s/m house and ticket office.

the rooms on the end of the ticket office are more difficult to judge from the pix i have......i can see that the last 2 inches / inch & 1/2 of the model is 'flat roofed', on the platform side there are 3 doors that lead under the flat roof, also the platform side of the building is 4mm higher than the 'entrance' side.

once the ststion is completed....the signal box/cabin will be next. then some big stuff....the engine shed.

followed by the cattle dock hut, goods shed and i may even do some railway cottages that were near by.

what i will find tough is the turn table, does it look anything like below?

gallery_2873_476_34225.jpg

Paul,

what i will find tough is the turn table, does it look anything like below?

gallery_2873_476_34225.jpg

The turntable was 50ft in diameter. I'll have a look through the photos I have, but off-hand I cannot remember a good view of the turntable.

Regards

Paul

Paul......

you where correct........

my apologies......the end of the station where the flat roof is, is again smaller in width than the waiting rooms.

glad you pointed that out, i just about noticed in the GER magazine article photocopy i have the difference.

going back to the turntable....there is a bit of south woodham ferrers turntable in Mr Swindales book.

hope xmas was good for everyone.

and have a happy & healthy 2010

regards.....Scott

Paul......

going back to the turntable....there is a bit of south woodham ferrers turntable in Mr Swindales book.

regards.....Scott

I've been unable to find a photo of the turntable, but I've found a GER drawing of a 50ft turntable! I'll copy it at work next week and give to Jim to hand to you at the next Witham club meeting.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

hi all those that are following this thread.

sorry for no updates recently but.....i have had all my cardboard templates out over xmas, have decided what size to cut the 'gents' and porter rooms, will post progress pix soon

scott

Scott

Tried to send you a PM, but can't for some reason.

However, I gave Jim a bundle of Southminster drawings and copy photos last night, which he said he will pass to you next Monday.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi,

First post here! Found your thread on google as I was looking at doing Southminster also, but in 1989-92 period! laugh.gif

Instead, because of the shape of my room and hence layout I thought I'd instead plan the railway as if it had continued up past Southminster to Bradwell. Looking forward to building the nuclear crane! Below is a plan I did:

post-8415-126763208514_thumb.jpg

The line starts as on and then splits, at the top you can see the siding for the nuclear crane (on the left) with its turnaround. the middle side by side tracks are the station area, however the lower platform will have fallen into disrepair being kept only as an extra run-around area as it won't be a busy station!

Next double track is the goods yard. I'm going 'to say' that its used mainly for fertiliser and some other modern goods, I just wanted a bit of play with shunting! The lowest prong is a small refueling depot where the old turntable used to be.

First railway I've tried to build by got my dad who's a slight fanatic, not like me at all... tongue.gif

Your plans reflect the currect plans that if Bradwell power station is renewed, the line will be extended to serve it, rather than transport the waste by lorry to Southminster.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

It's been a while I know....anyhoo!

Big thanks to PaulG with all the info I have received

Have got 90% of all turnouts required and have laid them out.....

gallery_2873_476_21953.jpg

gallery_2873_476_27655.jpg

gallery_2873_476_17683.jpg

gallery_2873_476_41402.jpg

All laid out is about 5 meters long I have just under 6m I'm gonna need to shrink bits here and there as I want to have a radius of track round to a fiddle yard. I'm glad I've laid everything out, I have enough base board (9mm ply) for the main layout but space is going to be tight. The platform is going to be 3 coach minimum.......so where do I make the comprimise? any ideas anyone?????

The only place I can see is to make the goods shed 1/2 the scale size.....instead of 2ft long I may have to make closer to a foot!

Cheers for looking

Scott.

• RMweb Premium

Scott, I certainly admire your efforts there to attempt a decent scale representation of Southminster, I reckon it would make a cracking exhibition layout with space for loads of (if not very interesting being Essex) scenery :D

My son is almost ready to start laying the first track on his plan, I suppose I should start taking a few piccies as well!

• 1 month later...

well, been a bit quiet on this threadof late......i've been concentrating on my scratch built gresley suburban coaches.....

well, i got me' track out the other night and laid it out as below

gallery_2873_476_10260.jpg

it's just too long...even with the yellow bits below removed, just under 18 inches, she's still too big!

gallery_2873_476_18470.jpg

anyone any ideas where more space can be gained???

the station platform !!! cannot be shortened !!! that's the main caveat.

would like to keep the goods shed scale size (over 18 inches) but i feel that's the only place left to make the space saving

cheers for any suggestions

scott

• 3 months later...

More quietness......how ever the garage is looking decidedly different as below....

gallery_2873_476_12870.jpggallery_2873_476_5658.jpg

as you can see 'southminster is layed out, my walls end to end are 18'4 / 5.6 metres.

Have run a loco or two up'n'down, to test it, I think the layout will have limited operational interest though, which is a shame, because i would have liked something a bit prototypical.

I'll keep the buildings, but i'll be looking into different end-to-end layout

any ideas anyone

• 2 months later...

well, i've been quiet on the web but busy indoors.

the station is progressing nicely as you can see

gallery_2873_476_39896.jpg

gallery_2873_476_644636.jpg

the station walls and roofing has been made out of Wills, I know they are over scale but I like the higgledy piggledy rough and uneven look. Since these pictures have been taken there is now guttering and chimneys on.

I've decided to name my layout as Eastminster as the sturctures are based on southminster but the tracks layout is not. I can't call it Westminster as that's where Big Ben stands and didn't fancy calling it Northminster as its based somewhere in Essex.

As soon as the platforms are done, I can work out the back canopy. next will be the signal box.

thoughts......comments.......constructive crits welcome

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Good stuff Scott.Sorry I haven't been able to post any more images from my 1977 survey. As expected, my film scanner conked out earlier this year and it has yet to be replaced. With redundancy a distinct possibility in early 2011 I cannot justify the investment just yet.Keep up the good work!

• 1 year later...

Good evening every one,

I have recently discovered this thread which I have read with great interest. About 9 years ago I attempted a similar project in my loft but found it beyond my patience and organisational abilty. The loft space is now a bedroom and I am attempting to adapt the project (Mk 2) to a smaller space. I would like to take the liberty of sharing a few photos of my previous effort, For the record I chose Southminster on the grounds that it was local (I live in Chelmsford) and had a wide range of pre-Beeching railway features (Station, Goods shed, Engine shed, Turn table, coal yard etc.)

As my new project progresses I hope to add a few more pictures.

I am submitting to the idea of 'Northminster' because my space limitations mean that I am having to take some severe liberties with the originial GER layout

post-13706-0-50697600-1336682012_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-12071800-1336682254_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-27609900-1336770302_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-60763100-1336771379_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-03737000-1336771398_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-41969200-1336771432_thumb.jpg

post-13706-0-32741700-1336771450_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had seen this thread a couple of years ago but it now has new relevance.

I'm considering a 7mm model concentrating on the transhipment of nuclear flasks (and low level waste) but very early around 1965. I understand that when Bradwell was first operational they never used the railway at all - then changed their minds.

Does anyone know when the gantry crane was erected? Has there only been one? Is there a trackplan available for that time (as I understand that the transhipment siding had to be built)?

Advice on websites/books containing this and other interesting info of my chosen period accepted.

I like doing my own legwork and planning but just need pointing in the right direction. As I am in New York opportunities for visiting local museums are limited, however.

Many thanks, in advance. Peter.

I had seen this thread a couple of years ago but it now has new relevance.

I'm considering a 7mm model concentrating on the transhipment of nuclear flasks (and low level waste) but very early around 1965. I understand that when Bradwell was first operational they never used the railway at all - then changed their minds.

Does anyone know when the gantry crane was erected? Has there only been one? Is there a trackplan available for that time (as I understand that the transhipment siding had to be built)?

Advice on websites/books containing this and other interesting info of my chosen period accepted.

I like doing my own legwork and planning but just need pointing in the right direction. As I am in New York opportunities for visiting local museums are limited, however.

Many thanks, in advance. Peter.

Pete

Branch lines to Southend and Southminster by Middleton Press might be a good starting point

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I received the Middleton Press book and very interesting it is.

It contains a 1922 trackplan of Southminster and it is easy to work out the trackplan as it is now...

What I'm looking for is the trackplan between 1962 and 1965 - after the nuke siding was laid but before the Goods Shed was closed for business.

Cheers, Pete.

Archived