The Berwick, Tweed Dock and Spittal Railway (2mm FS)

IanLister

• RMweb Gold

Tricky stuff that PVA. I find it easiest to apply it with a brush size depending on what I am doing, rather than tipping up a bottle of it over the layout. To easy to drip it somewhere unintended.

Don

edit: when you forget to wash out the brush hot water will usually do the trick with a bit of soaking and massaging the bristles.

Hello

Some progress this week but not as quick as I'd like; we're decluttering the house by giving loads of stuff to my daughter who's setting up in her new place this weekend, and I'm doing the removal man stuff. Spent most of today sorting out a leak in the hot water system in the motorhome; kind of essential as we're camping in it for 2 nights as of tomorrow......hopefully it's done.

Mr Cole drove along the quay this morning in his delivery van, courtesy of one of Mr R Parker's excellent whitemetal vehicle kits..the first one I've done, though there are now 12 more in the paintshop!!

post-11846-0-25891900-1331243372_thumb.jpg

He's delivering some new power tools and fittings for the boat repair yard on the end of the quay, and very proud of his new van advertising sign, which is my first go at a HOME-MADE transfer....lots of new stuff being tried out at the moment!

post-11846-0-04446600-1331243383_thumb.jpg

The aforementioned boat repair yard is starting to take shape, though it's quite a slow business

post-11846-0-22696700-1331243402_thumb.jpg

The circular saw on the workbench is a paper circle from the hole punch in the office; when I opened it up several million shot out all over the floor.....

post-11846-0-26635300-1331243410_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do on the repair yard, but it's slowly coming along. I'm pleased with the corrugated roof, using a technique I read about from someone on RMWeb; thanks Mr Queensquare! (Sorry I don't know your real name...unless it's Queensquare :) )

I'll be too busy to do more till Monday, but next week the B, TD and S should provide some great therapy and recovery time!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

using a technique I read about from someone on RMWeb; thanks Mr Queensquare! (Sorry I don't know your real name...unless it's Queensquare :) )

That would be Jerry....with a J :yes:

Looks really good Ian...love that boatyard - will it be modelled as a dry dock or will there will be a splash of water in there?

Hi Pete. I haven't yet decided on the final water level for the layout yet, and because the slipway is on a slight slope throughout its full length it'll kind of find its own 'shape'. I think there'll probably be water in about half of it....enough for Dr Beechings body to be carried out on the tide, at any rate...........wouldn't want him cluttering the place up.

Ian

Ian,

I don't know about "coming along slowly", I think you're building your layout at break-neck speed !! :sungum:

As I said in an earlier post, the whole thing looks very atmospheric and truly railway-like. You should be very proud.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I've finally been able to get back to doing some work on the layout during the last couple of days; various domestic arrangements and a spell of illness have sidelined me for a while.

I'm trying to get Allington's Boat Repair Yard finished before we go away in the motorhome next Friday; it's about 80% done, and I thought posting a few photos of it in progress would help me get on and finish it...not sure how, but it will. The pics help me spot things that need attention, anyway.

The yard has a slipway, with a covered area big enough to do quite substantial engineering and carpentry repairs; there's a long saw bench with circular saw across the end of it, and the slipway has a traversing gantry hoist for lifting heavy bits into position. Alongside the siding which enters the yard is a loading platform, with workshops and offices. Between the siding end and the quay is a Scotch derrick crane, which is positioned so it can unload heavy items from goods wagons onto the yard, or directly into boats tied up at the quay. I've started to add various bits and pieces to clutter the place up...Mr Allington's not the tidiest, though he would no doubt say that he's always too busy; the North Sea knocks the boats about a bit, apparently.

The boats in the photos have been sat on felt pads to show the height they'll be at when the sea's in place....it's not some kind of new suspension system to lessen the rocking and rolling of the waves:

post-11846-0-89815700-1332624809_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-56469900-1332624796_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-26847100-1332624800_thumb.jpg

The last two have a low light coming from the east, so it must be early on a summer morning. There's no-one around as they're all walking their dogs on the beach.......

post-11846-0-39792400-1332624803_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-27115600-1332624806_thumb.jpg

Hopefully in a day or two I'll have photos of it finished; there's some fencing to finish, signs to make and some ballasting and landscaping to do.

Ian

Just superb Ian

Don

Thankyou Don....I've found the boat yard really fiddly to do, so will be glad to get it finished......though my progress with it hasn't been helped by all the other stuff that's been getting in the way. real life, I believe it's called............

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Ian.

The photos are working a lot better for you too now...really demonstrates how good the modelling is.

How long is the Motorhome trip...I though I read before somewhere 6 months or something? :O

Lovely stuff Ian.

The photos are working a lot better for you too now...really demonstrates how good the modelling is.

How long is the Motorhome trip...I though I read before somewhere 6 months or something? :O

Thanks Pete.

Next weekend we're just off down to the south coast for a week, visiting friends and stuff. The long trip is about a year away, and could last 5 years or so......and take in most of Europe......but I've got a model railway to finish first! I have a hazy idea of building a small portable layout to take with me on the long trip, much of which will be spent building stock etc for the B, TD and S....but don't tell Val that; she thinks we're going sightseeing.

Hello again.

Four more photos of the latest progress, this time ridiculously close up to show some of the detail. Firstly, the Scotch derrick. I don't know the origin of the name, but I've always been fascinated by these things; they look as though the wind would blow them over, but seem to be very effective bits of machinery, if the real world is anything to go by. Mine's made of bits of plastic and wire, so possibly not quite up to the power of the original....:

post-11846-0-80456800-1332679358_thumb.jpg

The gantry hoist , looking a little blurred in the foreground of this photo; maybe the wind was blowing. Used for replacing engines and other bits of heavy fishing-related stuff (I'm no expert, as you can probably tell):

post-11846-0-71500300-1332679365_thumb.jpg

The sawbench and various bits of boat-repairing material, and a repair job needed on the quayside ladder, which I hadn't noticed...whoops:

post-11846-0-87908600-1332679369_thumb.jpg

And finally, a photo taken by an intrepid enthusiast standing on the roof of the shunter as it arrives to remove an empty wagon. Mr Cole's van has stopped, so it's not as dangerous as it looks. The road and rail access to the yard will be gated: it's on the list of things to finish off this week. The shunter is just about at the place where the coal stack for coaling the older steam powered drifters will be located; I'm hoping to build one of those while we're away next week:

post-11846-0-53228900-1332679373_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it would have been better if I'd moved the alien tennis thingy/daylight lamp from the end of the board first.......

Ian

Hello

Off early tomorrow for what has now become 2 weeks in the motorhome on the south coast; just as the weather starts to turn colder. Still, bikes, dog, birdwatching, possibly a steam train or two.........lots of good food, drink and music and excellent company. Looking forward to it, and taking some bits and pieces to do for the B, TD and S in idle moments. Wagons to weather, and a dozen road vehicles to paint and put together.

The boatyard is now bedded in to the scene, with its fencing and gates and straggly undergrowth. The scenic work and ballasting have spread a little further, and the quayside coal stack now has coal in it!

I'm quite impressed, when I look at the board now, by how little there still is to cover...although it's a complicated bit from the architectural perspective. The unfinished corner is starting to stand out, which I guess means I'm getting somewhere.

I hope these pics are OK; I've taken them with the older camera (Canon G9), in natural light indoors in a room with a fairly small window and without flash...I wanted to see how it would work.

If they're too dark please ignore.........:

post-11846-0-57854100-1333043365_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-58223400-1333043373_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-07074400-1333043384_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-53862900-1333043390_thumb.jpg

I've never gone away and left a model railway before.........hope we don't get burgled!

Ian

I've never gone away and left a model railway before.........hope we don't get burgled!

Don't worry you've just posted the details on a public forum :stinker:

The pictures look fine btw. A little bright on the window end of the second one but quite okay viewed on the LED screen here.

Don't worry you've just posted the details on a public forum :stinker:

The pictures look fine btw. A little bright on the window end of the second one but quite okay viewed on the LED screen here.

Oh dear...........but you're all decent, honest people and my layout isn't worth pinching anyway.............

The second pic is facing east on an early morning, with the sun coming up over Spittal Point. That's my excuse anyway.

One other thing; the plans for the change to the layout concept mentioned earlier in the thread are now firm, and while away I hope to produce a trackplan for the Spittal Point/Main Street/ Station board. I'll post it on here for comments and suggestions when it's done.

Ian

Hello again

Last photos for a while as we'll be on holiday: mainly fairly close up views including one from the footpath by the river, one from the pavement beside the coalyard, a peep over the goods yard wall, and a shot of my early attempts at weathering.

post-11846-0-70139900-1333061271_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-44008800-1333061280_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-40396100-1333061292_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-86415400-1333061304_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-30946400-1333061312_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-76664200-1333061322_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-43766200-1333061333_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-68298000-1333061338_thumb.jpg

The last one is so evocative of my childhood seaside trips....apart from the lamp in the background. Perhaps it's time to make some proper backscenes and a housing and lighting rig for the board!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Terrific set of photos Ian.

Really love those low level shots and the lighting makes all the difference from your earlier pictures.

They make an already great layout look even better now.

Have a great holiday and look forward to see the new progress upon your return... :good:

Terrific set of photos Ian.

Really love those low level shots and the lighting makes all the difference from your earlier pictures.

They make an already great layout look even better now.

Have a great holiday and look forward to see the new progress upon your return... :good:

Thanks Pete. The photos have been better since I acted on your suggestion regarding lighting.

I'm sitting in the sun in Warwickshire on an overnight stopover en route for the south coast and some preserved steam railways. I'm just about to start templot and produce the trackplan for the Spittal Station board and the spur onto the Point. I know how to enjoy my holidays......and the Peroni's good and cold too.

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.

I've been rather quiet for a while...for good reason; our holiday put the cat among the B, TD and S pigeons in a big way, and I'm still thinking about how to deal with it.

Val and I have planned for a few years now to upgrade our motorhome to a larger one and live in it while exploring Europe for a few years...the question was always when. We sold the house when we moved to Berwick last year, thinking that we'd probably be around here for 2 or 3 years, and that would give me time to build the layout. We've been keeping an eye on the motorhome market during this time, and had come to realise that the type of vehicle we're looking for doesn't come up for sale very often.

While down in Hampshire over Easter we found the perfect one.....first one we've seen on the UK market in 3 years, and with all the right options. So we bought it, I'm currently preparing for the LGV test so I can drive it (10 metres long and 10 tons gvw!) and we'll be out of here and following our dream in Sept/Oct this year. Lots of preparation to do and not much time for model-building............

I'm still going to finish this project, but am currently getting my head round how to proceed. We'll have a logistics base with my daughter in North Yorkshire, and the layout will live there. We'll be back there every couple of months for a week or so; it's concievable that I can work on things while we're away and add them to the layout each time we return. That's the current plan, and we'll see how it works out.

I want to get this first board finished before we leave, so it can be set up and ready to play with when we fancy a break from exploring for a week or so; there'll be progress, though it may slow as I won't have so much time over the next few weeks. I'll build a couple of small fiddle yards so the board can be set up and used easily and quickly as a discrete layout, and then see how things work out with the rest.

A big thank you to all of you for your support and encouragement with the B, TD and S........it'll get finished, but life (sea, mountains, wildlife, history, music...stuff like that) might just get in the way a little more often!!!

Ian

Archived