The Berwick, Tweed Dock and Spittal Railway (2mm FS)

IanLister

Hi Mark. Ponteland would be an interesting little terminus to model. I've only seen one photo of the goods shed and it's too small to see any real detail; though I know it was brick-built and the station opened in 1905.....it may be possible to find pics of others from the same stable. The NERA may be able to help you with architect, etc. I'm lucky, in that the one I've based my model on is only 10 miles away and still in really good condition.

ian

Hello

The goods shed completion is on hold, as I'm having a rather large roof window frame etched for it, but things are moving forward in the goods yard. In fact, the goods shed appears to have started a family, albeit a rather dirty, tattered, runt-of-the-litter type family (about 60mm square):

post-11846-0-48030100-1328652502_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-42259700-1328652509_thumb.jpg

The bottom couple of mm will be buried by ground cover.

Presumably the sign reading 'Staff Only' is to prevent injury from falling bits, rather than to protect contents of significant value........

There's also a part-finished weigh office and the beginnings of the loading platform, and the yard is starting to take shape:

post-11846-0-92158600-1328652505_thumb.jpg

And finally, for BCNPete, the promised pic of a goods shed canopy backet.....it's the worst of them, left off because I made one too many by mistake!!!

post-11846-0-95184000-1328652511_thumb.jpg

It's been a weird few days: the weather, being invited to show the NEAG of the 2mm Assn how I do stonework, finally losing my 16 yr old spaniel. Building the railway is a great way to take your mind off things, and I appreciate it all the more for that.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian - Sorry to hear about your Spaniel :(

Thanks for posting the bracket photo - very neat.

I saw Mick's post about your demonstration of the stonework - looks like everyone had a productive day.

Nice new addition to the building stock too...

Hi

Two finished buildings ready to plant in the goods yard at Spittal:

post-11846-0-04334500-1328798417_thumb.jpg

And in position (unless I change my mind; unlikely but open to suggestions!):

post-11846-0-84158000-1328798420_thumb.jpg

And some more shots showing goods yard progress, including the loading bank on the warehouse siding, which will have a yard crane and end loading dock. 24mm high home made working streetlamp included:

post-11846-0-45036900-1328798423_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-19336100-1328798426_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-89688000-1328798428_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-74888400-1328798431_thumb.jpg

Starting to get a feel for the relationship between the quay and the goods yard, and the approaches to both. Amazingly I haven't had to change the plan or layout at all to deal with unforseen issues.....beginners luck I suspect. I'm almost ready to start on the ground cover in this area, and feel that visible progress will seem much quicker once I can start on this. I'm looking forward to running trains on it!!

Ian

I have to keep reminding myself that these buildings are 2mm - the finesse shown is equal to or in excess of many larger scale buildings I've seen. Splendid stuff, Ian.

Thanks for your support John. I'm getting a bit fed up of stonemasonry, so the encouragement helps! Perhaps it's time for some gardening, roadbuilding, or starting a carriage and wagon works..........

Ian

I have scribing to "look forward to" so have watched your results, I think if I can manage half as good as this it will be worth it.

Yard is really coming together, I think you have a showstopper in the making.

Thankyou. I'm starting to feel as though this first board is getting somewhere; it's quite difficult to keep myself to the planned build sequence when I see a bit done and want to bash on with it, but I've managed so far. Only 5 more boards to go........... I'll see if I can find the complete trackplan if anyone's interested.

What will you be using the scribing technique for? If my learning experience, which continues to evolve with practice, can be of any help to you, let me know.

Ian

I have all the bridges and the station building to do, I have used DAS clay on the last few bits but may trial your approach in the next bridge.

Good luck with it. I've just spent the last hour reading your blog and am VERY VERY impressed. A great contrast in prototype to mine, but the differences just highlight what a multifaceted and deeply interesting hobby this is. I'm an ex-wargamer too, by the way........

Ian

This is a wonderful project, plenty of very useful guides on this super layout. The atmosphere already is great. I love the look of the single line spreading out to all the different parts - something that it shares with my 'Grand Plan' theoretical/retirement project, Cardigan. Great work and very inspirational.

Guest Aguila Wren

Ian,

Congratulations on a fantastic start to your layout.

I live only a mile or so away from you and I recognise the bridge in your garden - a couple of years ago I led a "Railway Walk" along as much of the old route as possible from East Ord to Norham Museum and another from Cornhill to Kelso. We walked right past your place of course.

My wife is from Tweedmouth and her mum lives in Spittal - she will remember the large Maltings you describe as she was born in 1922. I will ask her about it.

I am a railway modeller myself........well I try to! I would welcome the opportunity to have a look at your superb work if that may be possible.

Fantastic work, I am enjoying your updates.

Tim

Ian,

Congratulations on a fantastic start to your layout.

I live only a mile or so away from you and I recognise the bridge in your garden - a couple of years ago I led a "Railway Walk" along as much of the old route as possible from East Ord to Norham Museum and another from Cornhill to Kelso. We walked right past your place of course.

My wife is from Tweedmouth and her mum lives in Spittal - she will remember the large Maltings you describe as she was born in 1922. I will ask her about it.

I am a railway modeller myself........well I try to! I would welcome the opportunity to have a look at your superb work if that may be possible.

Fantastic work, I am enjoying your updates.

Tim

And there was me thinking there were no other railway modellers for miles around. You're more than welcome to visit, and I'd love to pick your brains about the railways round here. I'm on holiday this week, and will send you my mobile number by private message.

Ian

Hello. I'm being brave, and posting some pics of a 'work in progress' which actually looks a bit messy...though not as messy as it did an hour ago!

The basic ground texture is now being applied to the goods yard, the quay and the area around. The track in the yard is fairly typical, buried to the top of the sleepers in ash and gunge. Some of this has been done, as the photos make evident; the sleeper tops will be painted and weathered shortly. If I did it first, I think the application of the ground texture would have ruined it.

There will be a cobbled roadway from the yard gates to the warehouse cart entrances. To the right of the entrance is a loading dock added around 1905, when the Spittal industrial area started to expand more quickly; this is concrete (weathering not finished yet) with stone edging as one would find on a station platform. There will be a 1 ton hand operated crane on this. Next to this dock is the original one, built on the opening of the branch in 1880. It has sleeper edging and is surfaced with coompacted ash, and has a 4 ton crane.....scratchbuilt and copied from photos of the one at Wooler. It's made mainly from brass with a few plastic bits; I thought I'd use its construction as an opportunity to practise my soldering, ready for when I start doing more scary things......

On the same siding but further along from the loading bank is a high stone dock; something I've not seen modelled very often. There's an ash track leading to the edge of it, and its used by carts and lorries delivering loads of stone from Huds Head quarry, about a mile and a half away down the coast. In the real world, stone from HH was used in 1820 to build the new pier at Berwick, and a railway was built to carry it from HH to Spittal, from where it was ferried across the river by boat.

The high dock has had an unfortunate accident ( frequent where large stones and I happen to be in the same place at the same time, unfortunately) and the stonework has a rendered repair on its face.

Opposite the stone dock is another loading bank, with an end dock and the plinth in place for a 1 ton hand operated crane. This dock also has an ash roadway leading on to it, and is used for unloading vehicles and agricultural machinery.

post-11846-0-49317000-1329085879_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-22477000-1329085882_thumb.jpg

There are several changes of level in the goods yard area. The whole thing is built on a slope away from the river bank, and I've always found sloping goods yards more interesting to look at (if a bit tricky at the design stage). One of my favourite ones is Fawcett goods only near Darlington, and I've used one or two elements of it in the layout of Spittal yard. It's all looking a bit grey at the moment, but that will change fairly quickly......although my childhood memories of goods yards in the 50s exist in very stark, monotone images in my mind, so it wont become too bright and colourful!

Ian

Guest Aguila Wren

And there was me thinking there were no other railway modellers for miles around. You're more than welcome to visit, and I'd love to pick your brains about the railways round here. I'm on holiday this week, and will send you my mobile number by private message.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I look forward to hearing from you.

You are maintaining a very high standard. I love the spaciousness of the goods yard.

Don

Thank you Don. When I got up this morning I went to see how it had all dried and thought 'My god, what have I done?' but I don't think it'll be long before it starts to look better, with ground cover and detailed finishing. Hope so anyway.........

Ian

Hello

A couple of posed shots tonight, just to see what they look like:

J M Allans Sawmill and Timber Yard in Tweedmouth , in the real world, had its own siding which, amazingly, crossed the A1 at a level crossing...it'd be a bit tricky nowadays!

In my 'should have been' world Allans transfer the timber to Spittal Yard for shipment. In these pics a load of very new looking pit props are being loaded onto a pair of very new looking open wagons for the pickup goods to Berwick, where they will join the main line north to the Edinburgh coal fields. Once I get the scenery on board 1 finished, the wagons will get much dirtier.......and the pit props.

post-11846-0-10297200-1329172455_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-04858900-1329172459_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-70506100-1329172462_thumb.jpg

It all looks very quiet: it may be lunch time, or maybe they've all gone salmon poaching..............

Please ignore the wet glue!

Ian

Good luck with it. I've just spent the last hour reading your blog and am VERY VERY impressed. A great contrast in prototype to mine, but the differences just highlight what a multifaceted and deeply interesting hobby this is. I'm an ex-wargamer too, by the way........

Ian

I take the above as a great compliment, I think war gamers take more notice of buildings as they provide cover!

KB is my first proper layout and first N scale attempt. Looking at this thread made me wish I had used hand built track as the yard would have been much neater with it. My other layout is entirely urban, as I fancied some variety too.

I see the scribing has been set aside for some greenery instead, good idea, marking out thousands of individual stones in 2mm is rewarding, but only when you have finished it!

Archived