The Berwick, Tweed Dock and Spittal Railway (2mm FS)

IanLister

i really like your technique with the stone walls so i am going to pinch that for some future layout!

As you say, you learn a lot from forums such as this, but we are also learning from you - so... keep going!

Guest Max Stafford

The middle shot is like looking down from a passing main line train Ian. This model is truly wonderful and I'd love a look when I pass by next!

Dave.

The middle shot is like looking down from a passing main line train Ian. This model is truly wonderful and I'd love a look when I pass by next!

Dave.

Now there's an idea for the backscene....the Royal Border Bridge in low relief along the back! It would be a bit too close, unfortunately...........

Welcome any time, Dave.

Ian

I like the green cast of the latest lamp. Mercury Vapour lamps tended to have this kind of colouration, especially as they aged. You didn't get a lot of light out of them though.

The decks of the boats are starting to look a bit more full. My memories of fishing boats are that you could never see the deck for ropes, nets, pots, floats, buoys, ...

I like the green cast of the latest lamp. Mercury Vapour lamps tended to have this kind of colouration, especially as they aged. You didn't get a lot of light out of them though.

The decks of the boats are starting to look a bit more full. My memories of fishing boats are that you could never see the deck for ropes, nets, pots, floats, buoys, ...

Interesting comments Rich, thanks. The greenish tinge is an experiment. The LED is a subminiature (0402 I think) which was the cold white colour, until I gave it a coat of lemon yellow acrylic and left it on for 24 hrs to see if it exploded or anything................ :) . I need to add another resistor to tone the brightness down, which is on my jobs list.

I also remember fishing boat decks as you describe, and have lots of photos to prove it! The quay will also need a lot of clutter. I have a box (boat box? as opposed to gloat box...don't have one of those yet as everything I've bought has been built!) into which I put odds and ends and leftovers to use for this. An inch or two left from a strand of wire gets coiled up, flattened and painted. A bit of tiny sheathing from a strand of telephone wire, cut into 1mm lengths, makes those nice cork floats I used to see. The fishboxes are stacking up too...over 50 last time I counted. I don't put anything in the box until it's ready to place on deck or quayside, otherwise it's just making work for the future. My big headaches at the moment are nets and lobster pots...any ideas?

Ian

I think Scalelink or 4D modelshop (or both) produce very fine etched mesh. This might make a decent net if rolled/squashed up. Otherwise you might try something like a voile (sp?). Those little doily type things that you can buy in craft shops for doing wedding favours and such like.

You might not have seen that there is an article in the current MRJ about building boats. The method used styrofoam for the hull base material, which is then overlaid with strips for the planked detail. I haven't read it all yet.

I think Scalelink or 4D modelshop (or both) produce very fine etched mesh. This might make a decent net if rolled/squashed up. Otherwise you might try something like a voile (sp?). Those little doily type things that you can buy in craft shops for doing wedding favours and such like.

You might not have seen that there is an article in the current MRJ about building boats. The method used styrofoam for the hull base material, which is then overlaid with strips for the planked detail. I haven't read it all yet.

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm experimenting with potential fishing net ideas at the moment....biggest problem is when the real thing is laid down or in a heap it goes so flat and small, and that's difficult to replicate, but I'll find a way.......

The boat idea sounds interesting. I'm happy with the obeche method for the kind of boats I've made so far, but it won't do for open-deck boats like cobles, but then neither would the way you offered; unless I could build with styrofoam/strip and then hollow out the styrofoam and replace with frames like the real thing, so the styrofoam would basically be just a mould for the strip. I'm starting to sound like Robinson Crusoe :scratchhead:

Ian

Hello

The Tweed estuary was upside down today, while I wired up the last 2 uncouplers, and created a wiring infrastructure for the lighting for the whole Spittal Quay board, so further lights will simply plug in. That's the theory anyway..........

I've now replaced the overscale and wrongly shaped lights with homemade gaslamps based on originals I've researched in this area (a bit fiddly - the LEDs were the smallest I could find. The dock area is redone:

post-11846-0-66361500-1327270210_thumb.jpg

and streetlights have finally made it to the Dock Road.....probably the last place in the country to get them in the real world!!:

post-11846-0-13221400-1327270216_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-76760800-1327270222_thumb.jpg

The lights look brighter in the photos than in reality; I think they're about right, running at 12ma rather than the 20ma they're designed for.

The walls for the goods yard and loading bank are now in place, so the next job is the goods yard buildings, including a 7-wagon warehouse based on the one William Bell designed for Wooler on the Alnwick and Cornhill branch of the NER in the 1880s. The B, TD and S is a contemporary of this, so it's fair to assume that Bell would have used the same design........which is handy, as the warehouse at Wooler is still standing and in excellent condition, albeit in use as an antiques business. We went there yesterday (all of 10 mins away) and with the permission of the proprietor took 30-something photos, including of the excellently preserved interior.

post-11846-0-23636600-1327270238_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-35328600-1327270250_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-68268000-1327270263_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-96100500-1327270274_thumb.jpg

No excuses for getting it wrong, then..........we'll see.

Ian

Hi

With the goods yard walling done and the long loading bank platform in place, the goods warehouse is now my main focus. It's a William Bell 1880s design, as mentioned in my last post. Big, at 100'x50', but actually smaller than the standard 7-wagon design as used at Wooler.

The traffic at Spittal Goods is actually very demanding of covered loading facilities. There's the tourist trade to cater for, and 4 fertiliser factories shipping out bagged stuff for the farmers in the Borders, mostly up the Tweed Valley branch to Kelso and St Boswells, with the much and deservedly revered Waverley route for onward shipping. The raw materials for the 2 iron foundries and the boiler works will be unloaded in the yard, but much of the product (one of the foundries was famous for its shovels!!) will go out via the warehouse.

Inbound and outbound stuff for the 2 chemical works will also load and unload through here, and there's all the day-to-day requirement of a small but developing industrial, fishing, farming and seaside community to cater for. That's all in the 1880s when it's built. By the fifties, when my model is set, things are a bit quieter, but with the good rail access, combined with the fact that the northerly reaches of the A1 are still a little primitive, the traffic hasn't died down as much as you might have expected. Which is good, as it'll keep Dr Beeching's grubby fingers off the line when he comes poking around..............

Walls are ready for application of stonework, and the platform is cut to shape. None of it is fixed, as I'll do the stonework with the walls flat, but here's a trial run:

post-11846-0-81688100-1327441562_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-75423000-1327441566_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-77189000-1327441574_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-72551900-1327441580_thumb.jpg

The goods yard entrance is off the quay road; the warehouse to the left(inland) along with an end dock and 1 ton crane, with the arrival road and run round loop behind. To the right of the entrance, towards the fish market, is a long loading platform, with an additional siding beyond. Here there will be a high dock for loading stone from Huds Head quarry, and a 4 ton and a 1 ton crane. This loading platform will handle mainly agricultural stuff, and heavy material for the industries and harbour.

And before anyone asks, I'm not doing the whole yard with handscribed stone setts.......... :no:

Ian

Hello.

I've been making progress on the goods warehouse for Spittal yard. 4 walls, the loading platform, and some basic detail on the inside - steps, planked floor, 2 ton hand crane (very basic representation) and weighing platform; more to be added yet.

post-11846-0-71783100-1327928562_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-71325000-1327928575_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-13194800-1327928587_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-39385700-1327928607_thumb.jpg

On the cart/lorry loading side there will be a canopy over the 2 loading bays, which will be an extension downwards of the roof, supported on 8 very fiddly looking wall-mounted brackets. Looking forward to getting that bit out of the way.......

The area of main traffic activity, from the gate to the loading bays, and to the loading bank at the other side of the yard, will be cobbled; the rest will be ash, mud, gunge etc.

Perhaps on this building I'll remember to fit the interior lighting before putting the roof on; that would be a first!

Ian

Very nice Ian, amazed at the detail inside the shed, but thats to be expected from you now! Just think what it'll look like when it's full of 'clutter'.

Thanks for that. The roof on the side where the track runs under actually has a massive window in it, so you'll be able to see down onto the loading platform. Otherwise I may not have bothered with it.........the loading platform floor is real wood, by the way.

Ian

Hi

Latest progress on Spittal's goods warehouse, showing one side of roof - the complicated side - fitted and finished except for chimney and detailing. The canopy was interesting, to say the least; when I photographed the original I could see it was going to be a bit fiddly to do.......but pleasing when it's done.

post-11846-0-07968300-1328182927_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-78335400-1328182929_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-53800600-1328182932_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-61829800-1328182935_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-21930000-1328182938_thumb.jpg

I particularly like the 4th pic, which shows the view of the warehouse someone would get while walking along the quay road. Except for the shadow from the camera, of course......!

The other side of the roof has a massive window in it; it looks a bit odd, to be honest, but it's there so I guess I'll have to build it like that. At least there won't be so many slates.......

Ian

Thanks for the kind comments.

Paul - that's the joy of 2mm, you can hold what the NER called a '7 wagon warehouse' in the palm of your hand........

Pete - the brackets are just built up out of bits of styrene strip. I made one too many; I'll post a pic of it next time if I remember.

Lunar eclipse, you say.......just as long as it doesn't have a massive effect on the tides, or all my effort could be washed away :O

Ian

Not a comment on your lovely layout, but have you thought what the initials of your layout spell?

Be tedius ! B TDS

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I nearly called it the B, S, TD......but it may have sounded a little rude.

Ian

I've not commented on this so far (though I seem to have "liked" it a fair few times)

It is certainly one of the more inspirational layouts I've seen - Its that "railwaylike" it hard to beleive that it isnt an exact-to-the-last-inch model of somewhere real! :)

Thanks for your kind and supportive words, Mickey. When I decided to start this layout thread, I had grave misgivings about making a fool of myself by going public with something that was too ambitious and in many ways the opposite of the advice beginners are so often and so wisely given, but felt that it would be a good way to get help and advice (proven spectacularly correct and very helpful, thankyou). I also wanted to show, after my first few weeks of having a go, that 2mm FS isn't as scary as a lot of people seem to think, and that it's accessible and capable of bringing a lot of pleasure and satisfaction to anyone who wants to have a go...you just have to find the ways that work for you. If my thread helps in persuading a few more beginners like me to have a go at building 2mm layouts, then it's achieved both its aims.

Back to the last bits of the goods shed roof.........

Ian

Hi Ian,

Have just discovered your excellent layout and it looks good. I like the look of the Goods Shed and a preserved one to model it on.

I am planning to do Ponteland as a branch off the main roundy roundy layout (OO 15'x8' with plan to extend to 20'x8') which will be for exhibitions as well as at home. The Goods Shed seems too far away in the photos to get a decent go at sizing it up.

keep up the good work

Mark in OZ

Archived