My Great Waterton Layout

Great Waterton

Hi everyone, this is my first post. :)

I'm not sure if there'll be much interest for my layout on here but you never know do you!

For a long time (since I was very young) I have collected items from the Hornby Thomas & Friends range but never had a 'proper' Thomas model railway to run any of it on. Over the years I've managed to obtain every single piece of rolling stock, accessories, buildings etc that Hornby have ever made for the range. So I'm sure you'll agree that's quite a collection! :O

Me and my Dad have a large 40ft model railway layout but I decided Thomas and his colourful friends needed their own area, so I purchased a half-built 8ft x 4ft layout from eBay, and have started to rebuild it. Some pictures will follow below. Some of the track is steel and some is nickel silver, and some of it (mostly points!) I've had to replace because it was truly worn out. It's only in the very early stages of completion, but I will be updating this topic as more progress is made.

The layout is to be called Great Waterton, after a lot of the resin buildings come from that area of the Island Of Sodor.

Anyway enough of my waffling, here are some photo's. My scenic modelling is nowhere near the standards of the modellers on here, and bear in mind the track plan isn't perfect either, but after all it's only make believe! :lol:

Some pictures were taken on my iPhone so apologies for the quality. :no:

Overall shot of the layout before reballasting.

post-13701-0-30756400-1321533970_thumb.jpg

Some reballasting taking place.

post-13701-0-91456700-1321534184_thumb.jpg

Ballasting completed and stuck (I hope!)

post-13701-0-17049300-1321534215_thumb.jpg

Knapford Sidings with weathered paint. I intend to do the whole layout this colour and then weather individual areas for oil spills etc.

post-13701-0-47028300-1321534084_thumb.jpg

Great Waterton Engine Shed

post-13701-0-31231700-1321534026_thumb.jpg

Basic alignment of some of the buildings.

post-13701-0-02494200-1321534267_thumb.jpg

Work on St. Michael's Church. Still needs some bushes, maybe a tree, gravestones and people to complete.

post-13701-0-25261600-1321533782_thumb.jpg

Some of the colourful characters to say hello!

post-13701-0-93989900-1321533874_thumb.jpg

I like the loco line up, isn't there a thread where they wanted pictures of a line up, I think it would go down well on that one...!

Layout looks fun to play with, I know my boys would have a great time. They are getting a train set for christmas so no doubt Thomas and friends will be arriving in my garage soon...

Cheers

Scott

Thanks for the kind words chaps. :)

I'll try and reply to all questions asked lol.

Churchill 8F - we're attaching another piece of board to the edge of the existing layout for Maithwaite to fit on.

pitbull1845 - we all know you want Thomas on your layout as well really!!

cary hill - Thomas was still in his box lol, this was just a random selection I pulled out!

RW James - Gordon was lurking near the express coaches near "the big station at the end of the line" to make sure no-one nabbed them away from him! Hehe.

Just a quick update, the ballast had indeed stuck and has now properly dried out. I started to spray the track that lovely weathered brown colour like in the picture above and the spray can decided to break. Now I've had to order more, which won't be here until sometime next week, and now I can't work on the layout until they get here. I've got all weekend off as well! Not a happy bunny. :angry:

When i was a nipper some 20 something years ago this was my favorite program & probably the start of my interest along with my dads help. I still like to see anything Thomas my daughter has a Thomas layout on the trackmat which we play with. Looks good some of those buildings look very nice too.

Simon

Hi, You seem to have found what has been missing of late in the world of Model railways, and that is FUN, hours of FUN for everyone, we all know of Thomas and his friends, its where most of us got the bug as children, great stuff...................

Archived