My Great Waterton Layout

Great Waterton

Interesting, is that the Bachmann one? :)

I'd have liked that on here but I didn't really have the room, so I stuck with the resin buildings and went for a town & country theme instead lol. And STILL I don't have room for everything!

Yes - it's just the glass canopies and three platforms.

Your very first quote "I'm not sure if there'll be much interest for my layout on here but you never know do you!"

I would suggest after three pages and is it 79 replies there most certainly is plenty of interest in your layout!

I think georgeT makes a good point about the fun aspect of the hobby. Now being a man of mature age Thomas models came a bit late in the day for me but I wonder how many of the members on here had the Battlespace range of trains by Triang Hornby?

Wow that was fun multiplied times a million how I yearn for the imagination I had playing with that stuff all those years ago!

Great layout mate keep it going!

Thank you for the kind words folks, really encourages me to carry on. :)

BluePullman21 - thank you very much! I'm going to have a few cameos scattered around, such as Tiger Moth the Bi-Plane crashed into a pile of hay and other such stuff. :)

TheFonz1 - yes I quite agree. Haha Battlespace sets indeed. I never had one myself but I see the attraction. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm a bit old for Thomas (being 23, 24 in June!), but there's something about him/the show that I can't seem to walk away from!

I'll try and keep the updates coming, however small. Thanks again folks. :)

I built my first Thomas layout when my son was 8 years old. We had a lot of fun with that layout and took it to many shows - the kids always loved it. My son is grown now, but my granddaughter is 2 and absolutely loves Thomas (she has a wooden set). I am building the layout again - only this time I'm trying to be a little more faithful to the Rev's original intent and trying to learn more about British Railway practices. I am 59 and having the time of my life exploring a new world of railways. I still love my US based layout but Thomas provides a whole different level of fun. Never think you're too old for this.

Looking forward to those cameos. By the way, do you have model for Tiger Moth?

I'd love to take a Thomas layout to shows (especially with all this kit) but I seem to have issues with the actual loco's performing properly. I know they're probably built for kids who like to have them whizzing 'round at 100mph but that's not much good for older 'enthusiasts' like me! Haha.

My first venture at Thomas was going to be a faithful representation of ELSBRIDGE using only bits seen on the TV show during series 1 and 2. But then I couldn't help myself and ending up buying everything.....

And yes I have Tiger Moth sat here with the rest of the stuff lol, if I get chance later I'll upload a pic. :)

Thank you for the kind words folks, really encourages me to carry on. :)

BluePullman21 - thank you very much! I'm going to have a few cameos scattered around, such as Tiger Moth the Bi-Plane crashed into a pile of hay and other such stuff. :)

TheFonz1 - yes I quite agree. Haha Battlespace sets indeed. I never had one myself but I see the attraction. To be honest I'm not sure if I'm a bit old for Thomas (being 23, 24 in June!), but there's something about him/the show that I can't seem to walk away from!

I'll try and keep the updates coming, however small. Thanks again folks. :)

Re (23 24 in June) you are never to old to enjoy this hobby! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says good on you for not walking away from Thomas! The point being it is your hobby and it is obviously keeping you both interested and happy besides I wouldn't mind being 23 or even 24 again! :no:

• 1 month later...

Mrs Hatt and Mrs Kindley look like Laurel and Hardy at a crossdressing party imho :P

What a naughty thing to say! And there's me thinking, "Oh, yes, dear old Mrs. Kyndley!" and a tear welling in my eye with sweet memories! The other thing to say to Great Waterton is keep at it. I can vividly remember being your age, I and can't believe it was nearly thirty four years ago, and there's been umpteen scenarios since of put tracks down, change of mind, take them up, plan again ad infinitum. So, stick with it, run 'em, enjoy 'em and continue to let us see 'em too! I ought to add that I'm amazed at how much garden you are getting around your houses without it all spilling over the road and dominating the layout. You must have a vivid imagination (like Coldgunner!) but a very tidy mind to do the landscape as you have.

Steve.

Am very jealous of you layout, am hoping to start a Thomas layout myself and have just bought myself a Bachmann Thomas along with Annie and Clarabel but am finding it very difficult to source any of the 2008 Thomas stations that you have. Do you or any others have suggestions?

Am very jealous of you layout, am hoping to start a Thomas layout myself and have just bought myself a Bachmann Thomas along with Annie and Clarabel but am finding it very difficult to source any of the 2008 Thomas stations that you have. Do you or any others have suggestions?

With regards to the buildings I'm not really sure, maybe eBay? I know most of them are quite scarce these days. I had to pay through the nose for some of mine but it was well worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alex, the faces came off some of the standard Hornby troublesome trucks/wagons and some came off other various (older) models, like Ertl etc. They're not permanantly stuck on, just blu-tacked!

I do also have one brown open wagon that I've made myself with the original 'face' from 1984, that is, just the evil looking eyes.

Like the one on the left here: http://www.sodor-island.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cn_tt.jpg

Hi Alex, the faces came off some of the standard Hornby troublesome trucks/wagons and some came off other various (older) models, like Ertl etc. They're not permanantly stuck on, just blu-tacked!

I do also have one brown open wagon that I've made myself with the original 'face' from 1984, that is, just the evil looking eyes.

Like the one on the left here: http://www.sodor-isl...tures/cn_tt.jpg

I made a few of the original face trucks myself for my first Thomas layout 15 years ago. I printed the eyes on paper and just glued them onto the trucks.

One thing I have done is purchase multiple copies of the troublesome trucks and pop the faces off and glue them onto other wagons. Using the Bachmann models works well because the faces fit neatly onto their other wagons - even the PO wagons.

Can you make decent looking faces then with print screens and photos of the tv series models? Like print out the faces to the correct dimensions for the wagons you want?

Alex

Yes you can I would think. I had a go quite a few years ago at this and it turned out ok. Although I'm sure I could do better now as they were slightly oversized.

The wagon on the right has a homemade face, just taken from a picture, printed off and tacked on:

post-13701-0-25893100-1329596438_thumb.jpg

Archived