My Great Waterton Layout

Great Waterton

thanks, dunno how long it will take me to find decent shots of some of the faces as they always seem to be side on when you search on google, and the only place i can print stuff is in the library, i think they can print in colour there, i hope so, i'd have to cram as many faces i could realistically on one page as it costs money to print there. When you printed it did you use anything to thicken the back of the face before tacking it on so it doesn't look like what it is (a face printed in thin paper) cause yours look really good :D

Thanks again, Alex.

Yeah if I recall rightly it took me ages to find some decent faces (maybe in my old ladybird Thomas books from about 15 years ago!). I can't seem to find the templates I used otherwise I'd gladly upload them for you.

I used some doublesided tape (thick stuff, thicker than card, nabbed from my Dad's work, don't tell him! Lol) and covered the back of the faces with that. You're right it does stop them looking thin! :-)

Thanks for that, I shall have to try it in future when the funds allow it. I'm planning on making a 8 foot by 5 foot layout made of two 4 foot by 5 foot boards that bolt together and when my friend Lawrie comes over here from the UK to see the RPSI's 461 steam loco come past we are going to try and make the frames and hopefully get them topped. Its been a long wait, and he's coming on the 24th/25th of march so its still a way away and i have to buy all the tools and materials which costs money. BUT i have a design which is a junction station which has a branchline running from it to a raised level and a turntable too (so i guess kinda based on merging somewhere like elsbridge with tidmouth :L ) But plan is i will be able to run 'Mainline' engines on the double track loop of 2nd and 3rd radius curves, so that means gordon's express, spencer with the duke and duchess of boxfords' train(when i have paid for spencer and bought his coaches), the flying kipper when i get ahold of a henry and some more vans, murdoch pulling my PO wagons when i have him, edward with a stopping goods and bear with the limited. And on the branch my thomas and percy will be able to work happily together ferrying passengers to Tonglington Hall and its circus and when something upsets the engines they can go to the turntable for an indignation meeting (still need to buy the turntable, arg why is everything so expensive) and of course i will intermix my normal stock with my thomas stock.

There will also be a long tunnel for the mainline that takes up 3/5ths of the layout(the branch goes over the top on a hill) and so when i have henry it will be the perfect place to brick him up!.

I have a maithwaite station, but i don't like the platforms much as there are no steps out the back, the overscale fence doesn't bother me that much, but like, is there anything one can do to fix the no steps problem?

Thanks again, Alex.

Well, although its all planned out in that block of text, i have redesigned so i don't have to wait for a turntable, just replace the thing with sidings :P Will only have 44 euros though to buy 2 by 1 inch wood for framing, 6 lengths of 5 foot and 8 of 4 foot length, and to get drill bits and screw headed drill bit thingys and chocolate ilk for lawrie who is going to help me build it all. Hope 2 by 1 isn't too expensive :/

Also, i will have maithwaites platforms surplus to requirements for now as i will be using the station buildings as a hall on an estate on my layout which is accessed via a branch line.

Alex

well i don't know if i will be putting them on this forum, as i am a member of another which i participate much more in, but i can always give you a link to photobucket pictures or you could find a way to view them on the nrmf :P

just decided to sell our tv as we can't really afford the tv license so hopefully get 150 for it (paid 200 euros 2 months ago) and save 108 euros on the tv license (dunno if i can reclaim 52 euros worth of stamps) but 104 of the total of that can go on paying of spencer, leaving 154 left for more funds for the layout :) (I hope, i mean thats if we can sell the darn thing for that much)

Alex

I misread the title and saw my GREAT WESTERN layout. I have read and looked at all your shots over the past four pages and must say your layout looks great fun. You could teach many of us who call ourselves 'scale' modellers a lesson. You remind me that this is suppose to be a hobby and as such not take ourselves too seriously.

I have just put away my 'scale' locos and dug out my sons Bachmann Thomas locos and had an enjoyable hour watching the eyes move as they race around. I am going keep them on the layout as I have a coule of P4 modellers visiting at the weekend. Cannot wait to see their faces.

Great track plan, great scenery and looks like it gives hours of enjoyment.

Well done for reminding me to have fun and play trains.

Mike Wiltshire

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, sorry for the unforgivable lack of updates recently. I'm afraid I've had quite a bad time of it lately and had to have an emergency operation last week to save my life!

Needless to say I'm now at home and (hopefully!) recovering. Once I get back up on my feet and feel a little more like myself there will, indeed, be some long-overdue updates.

In fact, I've had a couple of new friends arrive recently.......... ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived