The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Old films and remakes

Highlandman

I have often thought about what older films I like, if they should be brought up to date for a modern audience and who I think should be cast in the parts. Well I'd like to start the ball rolling with two films I enjoy.

Both are Cary Grant films and I think are good entertaining family films.

1) Father Goose where he is sent to an isolated island as a spotter during the 2nd world war.

Grants part should be played by George Clooney and the school mistress played by Nichol Kidman

2) Operation Petticoat, again with Clooney in Grants place but I'm not sure about Tony Curtis's part.

Well that's my thought but i'd be interested in hearing your ideas about these films or any others with current actors.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the Dambusters remake.

always a tricky question as remakes very rarely live up to the original.

Just when is this going to happen though ? I read a piece by Stephen Fry where he said he was writing the screenplay for it and I'm sure that was something like 4-5 years ago.

Guest Max Stafford

Recent RTR arrivals vindicate the policy of taking your time and getting it right. I've got every faith in Peter Jackson making a good job of this one.

I'm a little sceptical of remakes, especially when Hollywood gets hold of a classic like Get Carter or The Ladykillersfor example.

A remake of Helldrivers might be fun though, provided it's still set in the postwar era for maximum non-PC effect, with Jason Flemyng, Max Beesley, Ray Winstane and Phil Glenister throwing the testosterone about!

Dave.

Recent RTR arrivals vindicate the policy of taking your time and getting it right. I've got every faith in Peter Jackson making a good job of this one.

I'm a little sceptical of remakes, especially when Hollywood gets hold of a classic like Get Carter or The Ladykillersfor example.

I think of all of the people to redo the Damnbusters Peter Jackson has to be the one, afterall King Kong and the Lord of the Rings were pretty impressive.

I haven't watched the remakes of Get Carter or the Ladykillers since they are so good in their original form and having seen a couple of rehashes, notably the italian job amongst others I decided to leave them be!

How about a remake of Oh Mister Porter/

Filmed on the Weardale Railway - To make use of the 141.

Starring Steven Fry as the Stationmaster and Lee Evans as the porter.

nonononono NO NO! Just NO!

A remake of Helldrivers might be fun though, provided it's still set in the postwar era for maximum non-PC effect, with Jason Flemyng, Max Beesley, Ray Winstane and Phil Glenister throwing the testosterone about!

Dave.

yes yes yes yes YES! that sounds like it would have real potential.

I'd quite like to see a remake of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Gary Oldman can stay in the few scenes with Smiley, Leamas is a tricky one though, perhaps Jeremy Irons. Sebastien Koch as Fielder would work, but I can't think of a suitable German actor for Mundt- that's more my ignorance than a lack of talent!

Re The Dambusters, the press release did not say that Peter Jackson would direct the film, that role goes to someone making his directing debut. I am not sure about Stephen Fry scriptwriting, I don't know anything else he has written. Must add that I am disappointed that Guy Gibson's dog N.i.g.g.e.r has fallen foul of the PC brigade. It will probably be called Nigsy. This is sanitising history by altering the truth.

Edit. Typing the dog's name changed from ######

I'd quite like to see a remake of The Spy Who Came in From the Cold.

No, no, no, no.... I have vested interests in that as my great uncle played one of the east german border guards in the original!! That said everyone I've spoken to says that Tinker tailor was amazing.... maybe leading us to the conclusion that only americans can't do remakes :P

• RMweb Gold

Re The Dambusters, the press release did not say that Peter Jackson would direct the film, that role goes to someone making his directing debut. I am not sure about Stephen Fry scriptwriting, I don't know anything else he has written. Must add that I am disappointed that Guy Gibson's dog N.i.g.g.e.r has fallen foul of the PC brigade. It will probably be called Nigsy. This is sanitising history by altering the truth.

Not meaning to be off topic with this but times change, I don't like tampering with history but to be honest it would be a bit unacceptable keeping it.

Mind you would love to see how anyone would rename "Fanny by gaslight"

• RMweb Gold

Yes, perhaps early 80s at the latest. A 21st century version with DAF, Scania and Volvo tippers wouldn't quite have the same effect for me...

• RMweb Gold

Was most annoyed to hear they were changing this, you can't change history just because a few pc types might get offended!

As an aside I found put the other week that the first part of my lab's pedigree name (nigabee subversion) is a nod to sir guy gibsons *****

Which I rather liked

I have my reservations about the remake of "The Dam Busters"; that film was a work of art, and a re-working made to satisfy the different sensibilities of a later generation might cause disrespect for the values and morality of those who lived through WWII.

There are plenty of other interesting subjects available to film makers. I think a film (now lost?) was made about Leonard Cheshire - plenty of material available there for a new production. Or - less well-known - Battle of Britain fighter pilot Archie McKellar. Going back a couple of hundred years, Thomas Cochrane, whose exploits as a RN officer make those of the fictional Horatio Hornblower and Jack Aubrey seem quite tame. Films to be under British control, of course. No disrespect to the Americans, but Steven Spielberg has been quoted as saying that such films are best made by those for whom the subject is of importance to the national psyche (or words to that effect).

• RMweb Gold

. Going back a couple of hundred years, Thomas Cochrane, whose exploits as a RN officer make those of the fictional Horatio Hornblower and Jack Aubrey seem quite tame. Films to be under British control, of course]

Now that I'd like to see, or for that matter another Aubrey film!

No, no, no; please no.

Regards,

Peter

What is wrong with my idea of a remake "starring" a 141, or is this one of those generation things where one generation doesn't understand one before, or after?

And I notice that there are two or three people who don't like the idea.

I think of all of the people to redo the Damnbusters Peter Jackson has to be the one, afterall King Kong and the Lord of the Rings were pretty impressive.

I haven't watched the remakes of Get Carter or the Ladykillers since they are so good in their original form and having seen a couple of rehashes, notably the italian job amongst others I decided to leave them be!

The Tom Hanks Ladykillers looks to be a re-versioning more so than a remake, I've seen a few clips of it and keep saying that I should watch all of it.

The lancaster looks the part, but if they want the airfield to look like it's in Lincolnshire they'll have to do something about all those hills in the background...

Yep, those hills look like the "Lincolnshire Wolds" {that are part of the same geological range as the Cotswolds}. Scampton is on top of the Wolds.

Hilly bits - http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/travel/2007/05/06/wold-class-115875-19046022/ - first picture.

View from a hill - http://www.photographersdirect.com/buyers/stockphoto.asp?imageid=869837

And a railway!! - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/123437.

I can't recall any airfields on the flat part of Lincolnshire, mainly because the flat bits are below sea level!!

Archived