An alternative to burnt out brake vans

I thought I saw another burnt out brake van model on the forum the other day and I remembered this photo that I took at Birkenhead North in the early 1990's.

post-6748-0-15213400-1321825529.jpg

It is standing on the back road and it was used, for a short while, in the nightly maintenance possession of the Liverpool Loop and Link lines.

It's career was cut short by the attention of the local "cherubs" and wasn't replaced. Its official title was a TRAMM but I can't remember exactly what that stands for. It was known by the signalmen as the skateboard.

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Track Renewal and Maintenance Machine.

I have a 507 in the same siding, in the same condition.

Afternoon Gents

Can we see the 507 please? Would make an interesting cameo scene in an old out of use siding!

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Gents

Can we see the 507 please? Would make an interesting cameo scene in an old out of use siding!

Regards

Mike

I'll try and find it, no promises as all my photos are spread between 2 houses, a couple of hundred miles apart.

The KESR nearly lost a brake van the other week after a pway turn. luckily the guard on the evening pullman saw the glow from the brake van floor, stopped the pullman and put the smouldering floorboards out.

The pway guard had used the stove during the day, put it out in the manner prescribed in the rule book,but the floor got rather hot during the day!

Another one, when i was a 2nd man at rugby in 1974, there was a guard Brian B, had a big garden layout, very keen but a bit on the slow side. We put the train away in the down goods yard and he asked the driver how to put the fire out in the stove. the driver, a Brummie called Jackie Jones, said, (engage Brummie accent) "aar, use some of the water from the tail lamps"..which Brian did, and set fire to the 20T brake van!! Wipeout.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• 10 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Here's the remains of a ventilated van at the Swindon and Cricklaide Railway after a arson attack a few years ago.

299663780.jpeg.adf029d5b2a078f89a1bbed17aed0139.jpeg

images.jpeg.273441527086412937e18e9befb53b64.jpeg

Swindon_Railway_2.jpeg.0574787cb54b7219a7eab0ef58ca245d.jpeg

Based upon the colour scheme on what remains, this was perhaps an action by the little known group Action for Rolling Stock Exactitude....

• Funny 1