Correct use of position 4 and 5 route indications

post-13657-0-40514800-1321970581.jpg

Hi, I am looking for some reassurance that the route indicator positions I have proposed in the plan are correct. The signal is in a yard area and trains can route out to either the parallel main lines or the branch.

I have a suspicion that this may not the be the correct way of looking at this problem since I have assumed that the through route is the most direct looking at the geometry of the track plan.

Any thoughts welcome, Jim.

I think you'd probably have no indication for the upper main line assuming this is the principal route, with a left indication for the branch. If there was a route to the lower main line, which there wouldn't be on a normal double track, then it would have a right hand indicator.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, most interesting as Sherlock Holmes might have said. The simple answer is that if you're coming out of a yard - as seems to be the case here - route indication would be given by means of a stencil or theatre type indicator depending on era and Region. Using position light junction indicators (J.Is) in this case would - in my experience - be unusual but that doesn't mean it might not have happened somewhere and them what matters is not what the geometry of the pointwork looks like but which route is the principal route and where do the others lie in relation to it. In this instance I would suggest the Main Line might well be the principal route so there would be a Pos 1 JI to read to the branch and a Pos 3 to read to the line parallel to the Main. But in this situation I would consider JIs to be very unlikely.

Thank you all for your help- that's given me some really useful perspectives on this problem (and solved another). I think I will go with the Stationmaster's solution - I was avoiding the whole stencil/ theatre indicator issue since I model in N-gauge but where there's a will...

I'd have to say as a Driver I would prefer a Theater Box, but obviously with the limitations of N I'd agree with cvst2004 of have No.1 for the branch and No.4 for the lower Mainline. Although the pivot light for the Junction Indicator is almost impossible to do with x2 Junction Indicators...

• RMweb Gold

I'd have to say as a Driver I would prefer a Theater Box, but obviously with the limitations of N I'd agree with cvst2004 of have No.1 for the branch and No.4 for the lower Mainline. Although the pivot light for the Junction Indicator is almost impossible to do with x2 Junction Indicators...

Almost but not quite

DAS_0022.JPG

Almost but not quite

DAS_0022.JPG

Hey Beast,

A bit lost on what i've missed, the picture you have attached is of the 00 gauge layout Widnes Vine Yard and their superb gantry which I believe took about 10 people to make :-s

I wish I had 10 poepl to help out on mine.... As Edwin said, I was reffering to the complex task of getting the pivot light to work on N gauge signals, hence why I only produce position 1 & 4 in N but can do as many as you like in 00 and 0. In fact i'm off to make some now ;-)

All the best,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

A bit lost on what i've missed, the picture you have attached is of the 00 gauge layout Widnes Vine Yard and their superb gantry which I believe took about 10 people to make :-s

2 but concurrently, not in parallel - and it's scratch built so it should get the nod from lots of quarters. :imsohappy:

Sorry, I thought you were generalising, there is only a brief mention of N gauge after all :P

2 but concurrently, not in parallel - and it's scratch built so it should get the nod from lots of quarters. :imsohappy:

Sorry, I thought you were generalising, there is only a brief mention of N gauge after all :P

Thats ok beast, was it really two? I thought a couple of people in America helped out with making certain bits for it. I could have sworn that I had read that of the Wirral Finesclae website....

10 people? I think you'll find it was just one ;) and he's a member. I'd agree with Stationmaster.

Congratulations to whoever did build it, it is a find peice of signalling art....

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to whoever did build it, it is a find peice of signalling art....

Thanks, it was just the two, Tony Sissons (in the US) and Mike Turner (in the UK). Mike and I planted and wired it up, and I wrote the software to control it correctly (RailRoad and Co gives the basic control stuff, I put the rules into it, it's approach controlled (for some routes) and the call ons are automatic if they are required)

hth

Thanks, it was just the two, Tony Sissons (in the US) and Mike Turner (in the UK). Mike and I planted and wired it up, and I wrote the software to control it correctly (RailRoad and Co gives the basic control stuff, I put the rules into it, it's approach controlled (for some routes) and the call ons are automatic if they are required)

hth

Well it is superb, I saw it at Woking last year... I absolutly love protypical signalling along with the systems that control it and Widnes Vine Yard ticks all the boxes...

Archived