Grassy track still in use

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone have some prototype photos of track that was (or still is) in use by BR or later, that is very grassy (not just light growth) or covered in weeds? A passenger line would be good, but any type of line would be helpful. I am particularly interested to see grassy points still in use. I know that the BR management probably wouldn't like or allow a working passenger line to be unkempt like this, but I'm sure there were exceptions. It is hard to find decent photos via Google; the Disused Stations site has a few but usually after closure. This is something (grassed track) that many of us try to reproduce, but how convincingly?

Cheers

Simon

Are we talking about public railways or private railways, because if we are on about private railways, it might be worth checking the Lochty or Fawley private railways.

I can't think of any grass track that I have seen in use - even the lawns at railway works only went up to the formation, and then gave way to ballast or concrete.

Guest oldlugger

Excellent photos Martyn! Thanks for posting them. Likewise, thanks cromptonnut and catkins for your info. I'm after British Rail scenes really, not private or preserved lines; railways that are probably on the point of closure where the weed killer train has not visited for a long time! Very overgrown but in use track...

Cheers

Simon

Presumably you're interested in unkempt/untidy grassy - if not, there's a section of the Manchester tram which appears to be deliberately grassed between and around the tracks (on the branch to the Lowry). - Search down the page for "grass" at http://www.thetrams.co.uk/metrolink/eccles/

Guest oldlugger

Cheers fellas for your posts; yes eastwestdivide it's unkempt track, not tram track with grass sections. I'll see if I can find a piccy and post it here to give you an idea...

Simon

Guest oldlugger

A few good ones here - admittedly they are after closure I think:

http://www.geograph....uk/photo/286585

http://www.hondawand...ed_Railways.htm

I'm after other examples as well to help get this aspect of my layout right, and perhaps give some inspiration to others on the forum. I remember seeing the last few regular coal trains on the Gwendreath Valley line (north of Pontyates) with cut down cab 08 shunters and merry go round wagons. The track was very overgrown at this stage.

Simon, are these of use to you?

Taken in April 1993, I went to Avonmouth to photograph the partly constructed BBHT

Bristol Bulk Handling Terminal. The photos I took were mostly taken from the remaining

platform at St Andrews Road station. The Severn Beach line services continue to use

the line which has been singled.

post-7081-0-77970200-1322235777_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Severn Beach

post-7081-0-28092300-1322235817_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Bristol

post-7081-0-49243300-1322235888_thumb.jpg

Looking towards Bristol, this platform is in use!

post-7081-0-56187900-1322236011.jpg

A closer view of the track.

Note it has even got a third (and 4th) rail.

cheers

I haven't any photos I'm afraid, but last time I was around the Glossop/Hadfield area it looked more like the Bishop's Castle Railway than part of the national network. If you're modelling the current era and want grass/weed strewn tracks I don't think you're going to be short of prototype justification.

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks Brian, Poggy, Mickey and Steve for your posts and the terrific photos! The pictures really are very inspiring! Keep them coming...

All the best

Simon

Any use?

1231971756_EtLsQ-L.jpg

1246896012_VgjjP-L.jpg

This next bit of the line is open for passenger trains...(if it's the bit I think it is - I think I shot this off Coombe Jcn platform)

1246895402_AfhAB-L.jpg

(A more recent visit shows it much more under control, so it does come and go....)

thats quite good

• 1 month later...

I remember a photo in an album of industrial steam, which had a loco in the middle of a field of grass or similar, growth was at least two feet high so no rails were visible. I think it was a sugar beet railway in East Anglia. The book is stored in my loft and inaccessible at the moment.

Regards,

Les.

Archived