The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

7 minutes ago, Coombe Vale said:

Someone accused me of transphobia and had the joke removed.

I was put off by a comment upthread - unrelated to transphobia. I thought it was an ignorant thing to say. I responded but then deleted and hid my post. Easy for me to retract since few would have been awake in the UK at the time to see my original response. I was triggered by some things on the news that day.

It's easy to tread on people's toes online.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Coombe Vale said:

Some people are just too sensitive. The joke I posted was nothing to with transgender issues and didn't mention them. It never occurred to me that it would be associated with such matters. It simply used the prefix "trans" in front of a totally unrelated word.

Must be difficult to travel, not being able to take a trans-atlantic voyage,

or the trans-siberian express, etc!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

28 minutes ago, Coombe Vale said:

Some people are just too sensitive.

24 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Sometimes certain people put their toes where you're about to step, on purpose!

In the situation I related you might be accusing me of being too sensitive or welcoming offense, which I don't believe I was. I maintain that the comment that set me off was ignorant. I just decided (retroactively) it wasn't worth my spontaneous reaction.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I responded but then deleted and hid my post. Easy for me to retract since few would have been awake in the UK at the time to see my original response.

Don't forget that anyone following this topic will have received it in their email, and you can't retract that.

Also it will be in several of the RSS feeds, such as this one:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/1323.xml

It's best to count up to 10 before posting anything on the internet!

Martin.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the situation I related you might be accusing me of being too sensitive or welcoming offense, which I don't believe I was. I maintain that the comment that set me off was ignorant. I just decided (retroactively) it wasn't worth my spontaneous reaction.

I was commenting generally, and agreeing with you, that some people are over sensitive, 

or specifically look for things to be offended at, on behalf of others,

certainly not aimed at you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coombe Vale said:

It simply used the prefix "trans" in front of a totally unrelated word.

10 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Must be difficult to travel, not being able to take a trans-atlantic voyage,

or the trans-siberian express, etc!

Goodness, it's a good thing this forum isn't about any form of transport in particular. Oh, wait...

Will London Transport get cancelled?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What I posted was a seaside postcard that could be seen almost anywhere on the internet.

The past is sexist, profoundly so. That's something that can't be ignored but has to be acknowledged and the reasons for it understood. The current age, at least where most of us are, has got a bit better in that respect but in many other ways is as bad as any previous age, so there's no room for complacency.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Coombe Vale said:

In some ways it's a lot worse. At least people weren't "cancelled" in the old days like J.K.Rowling and Professor Stock and now PhilJ W.

Agree; there's a good deal of holier-than-thou puritanism about that could do well with looking itself honestly in the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Agree; there's a good deal of holier-than-thou puritanism about that could do well with looking itself honestly in the mirror.

Your not on Farcebook then?:jester: I've had two postings rejected by them. One was a Wikipedia profile of a motor racing driver with absolutely nothing offensive and the other was a leaflet for a model railway exhibition, WTF! Someone suggested that it was because the model railway leaflet had the words 'child' and 'model'.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Vale said:

In some ways it's a lot worse. At least people weren't "cancelled" in the old days like J.K.Rowling and Professor Stock and now PhilJ W.

I hate the shifting goalposts of what is right and what is wrong

Apparently B-A-M-E, recently considered the correct term to describe those minorities is now offensive, as is calling someone "b-l-a-c-k".

I can't keep up.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

I hate the shifting goalposts of what is right and what is wrong

Apparently B-A-M-E, recently considered the correct term to describe those minorities is now offensive, as is calling someone "b-l-a-c-k".

I can't keep up.

I thought black was ok now and coloured was offensive.  My brain hurts.....

• Agree 2

I heard the other day on 'Walk on the Wild Side' ( a Blackpool video blog I watch), that one of the Illuminations Tableaux at the Bispham end will not be put up next year. Apparently it is a popular one, & has been up for many years, and 1 - yes ONE - person complained. It displays Red Indians.......how is that offensive?

The Illuminations this year are continuing through to January. In addition, there are Xmas lights around the town as well. Also one shop has a fantastic display that they have put on as well - the council want them to remove it (why?). The common thought appears to be that it is better than the council ones - but the council has now backed down.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Coombe Vale said:

The bit that puzzles me is that "coloured " is offensive, but "people of colour" is okay........for now anyway.

In the US, the encompassing term "BIPoC" and it's constituents, "Black, Indigenous and People of Color" are all acceptable. So is "Black and Brown People" when specifically including other non-European ancestries.

There is almost never a need to use any of these, unless you are a demographer or describing a suspect to a police sketch artist. It is rarely truly necessary to point out someone's ethnicity.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I thought black was ok now and coloured was offensive.  My brain hurts.....

1 hour ago, Coombe Vale said:

The bit that puzzles me is that "coloured " is offensive, but "people of colour" is okay........for now anyway.

I was pulled up for using the word 'coloured' many years ago by a colleague. I did not use it in a racist or derogatory way, just to identify a person who someone was asking after. What annoyed me somewhat was that the colleague who pulled me up on it was himself well known for his extreme racist views.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

It displays Red Indians.......how is that offensive?

What is a "Red Indian"?

The association of the (offensive) term "redskin" which refers explicitly to scalping, does not (and never did) denote skin tone. People generally use "Native American" or "Indigenous American" today, or "First Nations" in Canada. Better yet to actually know their native nation.

How we persist with the Columbian "confusion" of the region of the Indus with the Americas continues to bewilder me. Curiously, no part of the Indus River actually flows in the modern nation named for it - India.

People may ask what's wrong with the term "West Indies"? If you refer to the cricket team, then nothing really - other than its geographic anachronism. There are plenty of alternative geographic terms that are more precise - like Greater or Lesser Antilles, Windward or Leeward Islands, etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1