The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

How do you identify the buttons with genitalia?  Like day old chicks  they're not that clear!  I appreciate that the buttons might not want to click with you, and indeed I don't have a thing for buttons anyway, so a more detailed poster might be appropriate...

No idea, but I’m guessing that the ones on the lift in the photo have genitalia whether I can see it or not, or the notice would make no sense.  It has been my general experience that most (fortunately not all) things with genitalia do not want to click with me, or do anything else with me come to that.  I agree, more detail is needed!

I rather like Cadbury’s buttons, though their status vis-a-vis genitalia is unknown to me.  My mother had a phobia of buttons, and could be reduced to panic by a box of them all shaking and rattling.  Is this information of any use?  I believe my mother may possibly have had genitalia, but cannot confirm this.  Perhaps she’d been frightened as a child by a button shaking it’s genitalia at her.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

I have always found the rattle of a bag of Cadbury Buttons most attractive!

One thing I have noticed is that Cadbury are making their Buttons larger, which is a bit of a nuisance when you consume them by quantity, thus ending up eating rather more chocolate than intended...

As for the genitalia, I fear that question must now remain unresolved.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Or as they say: what's an amafor?

Putting in screws....

The sign is wrong.

Should actually be a "Brummagem Screwdriver", only posh people would say "Birmingham Screwdriver"👍🏻

I know (knew) plenty of people that used an ommer for bashing in screws. Threequarters the way in and a quick twist to finish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I have always found the rattle of a bag of Cadbury Buttons most attractive!

One thing I have noticed is that Cadbury are making their Buttons larger, which is a bit of a nuisance when you consume them by quantity, thus ending up eating rather more chocolate than intended...

As for the genitalia, I fear that question must now remain unresolved.

Which is probably just as well…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

I have always found the rattle of a bag of Cadbury Buttons most attractive! ... As for the genitalia, I fear that question must now remain unresolved.

Thank goodness they didn't mention the Cadbury Jelly Babies! Originally Riches (and others), then Bassett's "Peace Babies" --> Jelly Babies. Then became Maynards Bassetts, and now Cadbury.

https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/maynards-bassetts-jelly-babies-165g-bag.html

You have to be careful which end of the Jelly Baby you bite first. Some say, a magnifying glass is useful to determine the gender of the Jelly Baby. Perhaps someone can advise whether biting-off their genitalia is considered an offense or not?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Thank goodness they didn't mention the Cadbury Jelly Babies! Originally Riches (and others), then Bassett's "Peace Babies" --> Jelly Babies. Then became Maynards Bassetts, and now Cadbury.

https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/maynards-bassetts-jelly-babies-165g-bag.html

You have to be careful which end of the Jelly Baby you bite first. Some say, a magnifying glass is useful to determine the gender of the Jelly Baby. Perhaps someone can advise whether biting-off their genitalia is considered an offense or not?

Jelly Babies...

The only distinction when eating them is between "murderer" and "cruel murderer", that by decapitating the poor tot they don't suffer to much, while the toes-first approach causes so much more terror and anguish.

I know you can pop them into your mouth all at once, but where's the fun in that?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Jelly Babies...

The only distinction when eating them is between "murderer" and "cruel murderer", that by decapitating the poor tot they don't suffer to much, while the toes-first approach causes so much more terror and anguish.

I know you can pop them into your mouth all at once, but where's the fun in that?

Sounds like Teddy Bear biscuits, coated with chocolate or not. Or universally Easter Bunnies.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.eb5f247678042fc342e42a9fd6d71f9a.png

Sadly, it didn't last long.

A restaurant in Preston has suddenly closed its doors after under two months in business. Paris in Preston opened in the former Scrumptious café in Market Place, across from Preston's Flag Market, on November 8. The eatery was run by three friends from Paris - Esther Keloua, Lindsia Volberg and Tassadite Houacine. But according to a bailiff note posted to the door, the premises has been repossessed and is now legally occupied by the landlords.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/paris-preston-restaurant-suddenly-closes-17468355

It's over thirty years since I worked at GEC in Preston, so I'm completely out-of-touch of whether those prices are typical for Preston now. Any locals able to advise? Were they charging too much or too little to stay in business. I'm keen to know as Fish & Chips in pubs in Wiltshire is now twice that price. Am I missing out?

• Informative/Useful 1

Those prices are quite good! Weirdly, my local fish shop has just revamped and their small portion of chips will feed 3 of us for £1.80....the large portion will feed 5000!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That seems really odd. Just 6 weeks operating and the bailiffs are in?

Normally there would've been some legal letters before the bailiffs are called in, the bailiffs don't happen immediately.

I wonder whether there was something wrong legally?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That seems really odd. Just 6 weeks operating and the bailiffs are in?

Normally there would've been some legal letters before the bailiffs are called in, the bailiffs don't happen immediately.

I wonder whether there was something wrong legally?

Brexit?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'm keen to know as Fish & Chips in pubs in Wiltshire is now twice that price. Am I missing out?

Fish & Chips in pubs is always a lot more expensive than in a chippy or cafe though - usually about double in my experience.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Sadly, it didn't last long.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/paris-preston-restaurant-suddenly-closes-17468355

It's over thirty years since I worked at GEC in Preston, so I'm completely out-of-touch of whether those prices are typical for Preston now. Any locals able to advise? Were they charging too much or too little to stay in business. I'm keen to know as Fish & Chips in pubs in Wiltshire is now twice that price. Am I missing out?

That was in 2019 , so not really comparable to today's prices .

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1