RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Dave, you forgot to mention the buffers on a large proportion of the Parkside wagons and the coupling hook on the front of Jeff's Jubilee :)

The Suburbans are, colour-wise, as they came from Dapol (ex-Airfix) and Bachmann. A bit of toning down and light weathering to get muck around the hinges and the like but so far, nothing else so the roofs are too clean, underframes shiny, etc. on both the Dapol ones, I hacked off the awful underframe detail and replaced with Comet items a couple of hours before Jeff arrived on Friday so they have both brass and silver colours in their palette.

Hi Polly,

Re: the allotments (well, bit by the greenhouse), it is a long way from completion so just has basic muck and flock down at present.

So knackered after the PhysicsBodge visit, that I spent most of the afternoon asleep after Jeff went back to the former railway location of Kirkby Luneside.

• Like 3

Top-notch photos by Andrew P giving Bacup a whole new perspective. Everything is just right and it shows. To save me going back thru' the thread, where did you get the cobbled road surface Jason? It is just what I need.

You beat me with your Lanky collection although I think I'm one-up tonight with a long bunker Belpaire type L&Y 2-4-2T.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Depends on which street Larry. The one with Bodgit's truck crash uses Redutex sheets whereas the one with the (now straightened) lamp post uses Howard Scenics.

I was showing Andy and Jeff the London Road belpaire boilered Radial kit on Saturday; really need to make a start on it now you have converted / built yours. Lovely job there, by the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I just confirm that I am not about to rip up the track on Bacup and go EM or P4; the two locos are for a different layout (BCB). I have spent far too much time on this layout to start ripping up and relaying the track :)

Where's the fun in that! ;-p

• RMweb Gold

I love the photos that you've all been taking over the last couple of days. I'm just wondering when Andy Y is going to pop over to take photos for a certain publication. :)

• RMweb Premium

Some good angles in that last batch of photos, Andy.

You certainly looked in places where I didn't - photo 7 of the far side of the station canopy being a case in point.

Nice shots of Jason's 4F, too.

Jeff

• Like 1

Can I just say, lovely weathering job......     on those buffer stops.

Aye okay, I'll desist from mentioning buffer stops on your layout Jason.

I agree about the camera angles though, super, great, smashing as Jim Bowen would say.

Dave Franks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hey Andy, you've even captured the infamous mangle in photo #2!

I hadn't realised you'd taken as many photos (though Jason quoted a figure of 208)..... You seemed to be sat with the DCC controller, entranced with your shunting whenever I looked.

Maybe it was when I dozed off?

Great work.

Jeff

• Like 1

Boggit, you have a talent for model photography! Glad you went poking around in back yards as there is some truly great modelling there. One thing though Jason, I doubt anyone was so proud of their ow'd mangle that they painted it bright orange. They were generally black or just plain cast iron colour and were stored in the backyard with with a waterproof cloth over them until Monday wash-day. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Boggit, you have a talent for model photography! Glad you went poking around in back yards as there is some truly great modelling there. One thing though Jason, I doubt anyone was so proud of their ow'd mangle that they painted it bright orange. They were generally black or just plain cast iron colour and were stored in the backyard with with a waterproof cloth over them until Monday wash-day. 

Larry, I remember my nana's mangle: it was steel grey throughout. I used to love playing with it as a kid - though I got into trouble if I was caught! Deliberately soaking a bed blanket with water just to enjoy squeezing it out with the mangle was frowned upon by the "grown ups"!!

Those were the days!

Jeff