Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive, was pondering over whether to use a rattle can or the airbrush and you may have just persuaded me. Is it enamel or acrylic? Does it make any difference (e.g acrylic onto Halfords primer)?

Hi Jason

Don't know :scratchhead: Never sprayed over Halfords primer. My friend says it should be OK. An alternative he uses is Halfords Volo Dark Grey.

Hi Jason

Don't know :scratchhead: Never sprayed over Halfords primer. My friend says it should be OK. An alternative he uses is Halfords Volo Dark Grey

Clive, I might have missed something.  What do you use as primer?  Does you friend use the Halfords Volo (is that Volvo) Dark Grey as a top coat or primer.

On 14th March Sandside said

Following Mark's suggestion about thinning down the footboard support brackets I did so to the grey one, the original bauxite one I was messing around with ages ago and to yet another bauxite one that has also had the brakes removed & replaced, etc.

BitsandBobs017_zpseb86c026.jpg

BitsandBobs018_zpsf03757ab.jpg

I'm up to page 21 on this excellent thread.

I hadn't read much before as I'm easily distracted and this thread could distract anyone.  My brother has lived in Preston before and the buildings remind me of visits 'up north'.  In the 1980s I did a two day trip with my son.  Day two was from Preston to Leeds on a DMMU, the driver had the blinds up, so we had great trip.  I can't remember too much except that it was up hills and down dale in a big way, very exiting.  Wish I had a digital camera in those days.  I am looking forward to an evenings reading.

Particularly like the brake vans, thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, I might have missed something.  What do you use as primer?  Does you friend use the Halfords Volo (is that Volvo) Dark Grey as a top coat or primer.

Hi Ernie,

So I missed a v out. :O

The only time I use primer is when I want a grey roof on one of my green diesels. I use Chaos Black on my B class tank wagons. I have never seen the need to prime plastic models.

My friend, Ian Metcalf, built a 7mm model of a Hunslet 0-4-0 165hp shunter. I jokingly said that he had used Swindon black not Stratford black, it was then he told me he used Volvo dark grey. It finishes a satin worn black colour, ideal for steam locos and black diesels.  

• Like 1

I sprayed my 'A' class with Halfords Satin Black out of sheer laziness (the Halford black was downloaded into my spraygun) and found the HMRS transfers would not adhere to it ('Methfix' don't seem to like some surfaces).  So I sprayed it over with my usual cellulose black.

Edited by coachmann

Yes Andy thats exactly what I meant. Thanks. The first one does it for me.  Jason. Blow it up & take it to work. Nobody will believe it's not the real thing... Fantastic work Jason! Love it. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure these photos are that realistic.....

I mean, I thought it was supposed to rain non-stop in Lancashire, and I don't see any evidence of rain anywhere, not even any puddles.

( coat, sou'wester, gone...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I mean, I thought it was supposed to rain non-stop in Lancashire, and I don't see any evidence of rain anywhere, not even any puddles.

We did suggest we add some "Lancashire rain effects" on our last visit, but were threatened with the door if we did!!!

The puddle idea is a good one, though.

Jeff

• Like 2

Never mind 'supposed to' - it does.

In the first year I worked in Blackburn, I noted on my calendar each time it rained (ie sufficiently to change the colour of the ground) and I managed 200+ consecutive days.

I moved away.

Andy

• Like 1

I lived not far away from Bacup (well not far in terms of Welsh miles) and rain was the norm outside of summer. Indeed it was the dampness that attracted the cotton spinning trade to the area. But it rains everywhere at sometime and I don't know many folk who look back with nostalgia at the wet stuff and build  model railways based on lousy days.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I remember a tip from the Tv series on railway modelling in the 70's was to spray hair spray on roofs to give the sheen of being recently rained. I think I may have even tried it in my youth.

Baccup is looking lovely.

Jamie

• Like 1

I lived not far away from Bacup (well not far in terms of Welsh miles) and rain was the norm outside of summer. Indeed it was the dampness that attracted the cotton spinning trade to the area. But it rains everywhere at sometime and I don't know many folk who look back with nostalgia at the wet stuff and build model railways based on lousy days.

Larry it snows up ere even in summertime

Mark

Edited by mark axlecounter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been in Chester today. As for rain, having lived most of my life in the South Lakes, I have seen my fair share of it but I also know that it is also dry quite often and as such, Bacup will not be depicted in the rain. For those of you who want to picture it wet to increase the reality (anyone would think that Bacup was in the rainforest), a top tip is to spray your monitor with water before looking at the pics :D 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been in Chester today. As for rain, having lived most of my life in the South Lakes, I have seen my fair share of it but I also know that it is also dry quite often and as such, Bacup will not be depicted in the rain. For those of you who want to picture it wet to increase the reality (anyone would think that Bacup was in the rainforest), a top tip is to spray your monitor with water before looking at the pics :D

So, just to recap, you're not converting the layout to EM and you're not spraying water all over it? 

What ever happened to the customer always being right ;-p

Nice one mate. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

And :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Never mind 'supposed to' - it does.

In the first year I worked in Blackburn, I noted on my calendar each time it rained (ie sufficiently to change the colour of the ground) and I managed 200+ consecutive days.

I moved away.

Andy

If it's any consolation, when I was teaching 7 year olds, to introduce the changing British weather, we kept a chart for the month of October, each child noting the day's weather in turn.  It turned out to be the sunniest October on record!  The only consolation to my great plan was that they had recorded it and could see it in the newspapers or on the television!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/m/s/Oct1971.pdf  (See paragraph: Sunshine)

Bacup is obviously having it's sunniest month!  And why not?  :sungum:

Edit link.  should work now.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Spurred on by Larry's ever growing collection of L&Y locos, I've made a start on my LRM Lanky Radial, a long bunker Belpaire boiler version. I started the body first, with the chassis to follow at some point in the not so distant future. So far, it's not been too bad but I still have to anneal the belpaire boiler. 

LampYBelpaireRadial001_zps11f7da4b.jpg

LampYBelpaireRadial003_zpsca4a192a.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It is in the process of being painted mate. It won't be the neatest paint job ever so the weathering will need to hide a multitude of sins. It will hopefully turn out ok for a first ever go at spraying a brass kit though

I use a spray gun they are ok. I cant spray with a can its to big I cant get control of it but with a gun I can  

Also I wash the loco in hot soapy water to remove all the flux that can cause a lot of problems as I have found out in the past

mark

Edited by mark axlecounter