Transpennine Upgrade : Manchester/Leeds

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, since the good weather in May (and the promise of a good summer) it's pretty much pee'd it down ever since!

However yesterday, (Saturday), there was a break in the rain and heavy drizzle which allowed me to update what is happening with the feeder station connection to the Transpennine Electrification scheme.

There has been a lot of Sunday Possessions, of the Standedge Line, recently and this view shows that not only have some materials been delivered to the eventual connection site but that there has also been quite a bit of vegetation clearance as well.

post-12815-0-29464600-1471179989_thumb.jpg

These next four views show that the two SGTs have had most of their ancillary equipment fitted, (Oil tanks, Plumping, Cooling, Insulators, Lightening Arrestors, etc), but the High Voltage lines/buzz bars still need to be added.

post-12815-0-95617200-1471180009_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-61052600-1471180020_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-48724300-1471180041_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-26236500-1471180064_thumb.jpg

Again, a view of the NetworkRail compound.

post-12815-0-57760600-1471180031_thumb.jpg

The rail line is to the left, (just behind the line of trees), and the SGTs are over the road, (behind the electrified fence), on the right.

About halfway down the road, in the above shot, there was/is an under-road conduit which used to connect the Switch Room (a huge concrete building which used to use "Air Blast Circuit Breakers" - the loudest things I have ever heard!) with the older SGTs on the other side of the road.

These old cables were disconnected when that building was demolished a couple of decades ago.

I suspect that this under road conduit will be used for this scheme now.

post-12815-0-09316200-1471180001_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-34910500-1471180052_thumb.jpg

I am always wary of cut-off cables.

Years ago, I was the (young) electrical/electronics engineer in charge of (that side of things) a large Printing Press - 2 stories high by 40m long.

This was installed by a group of ~10 people :- 3 fitters, 3 sparks, 2 labourers, Project engineer, and a Commissioning Engineer - me.

This was going in on the site of a previous machine - all previously removed and just leaving the old severed 3 phase supplies stuck out of the ground.

I queried these and was shown/assured that they were all disconnected.

An old "spark" picked up a shovel and banged the back of it against each severed cable end.

After doing this 3 or 4 times there was an almighty flash and bang and his shovel was blown from his grip.

Dead pan, he turned around to the group of us and said "That one's still live"!

When it comes to electricity, I have trusted very little ever since.

Here, a Transpennine Express DMU heads north at approximately 7:10 in the evening sun.

post-12815-0-89138400-1471181248_thumb.jpg

I will miss these units as I have nothing bad to say about them.

(That, alone, makes them far better than anything else on the network in my opinion!)

Kev.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

This morning, the line had some activity so I went to investigate...

Here, I have taken a leaf out of DaveF's book on composing railway photographs!

post-12815-0-06293500-1471185955_thumb.jpg

This location is about half way between the sub-station and the Tunnel just north of Stalybridge Station. (The southern end of Printworks Rd.)

The road shows (under the length of the road) how the Stalybridge re-modelling and signalling scheme got its power connection from the same sub-station a few years earlier.

Zoomed in to show detail.

At first, I thought this was the inevitable march of the anti-trespass fencing that is now common but it did not seem "right"...

post-12815-0-75492100-1471186713_thumb.jpg

(It looks like they are using that special "instant concrete" for posts where you dig the hole, accurately position the post in it, poor in the concrete mixture and then add water. Hence the supply of water on the trolley.)

Yesterday's view, (from the footbridge a couple of hundred meters north of the photos above), looking south towards Stalybridge...

post-12815-0-31102000-1471185944_thumb.jpg

Today same view...

post-12815-0-80889100-1471185965_thumb.jpg

Here I have zoomed in again, and the short up-right posts have two brackets on them - one at the top and the second midway to the ground.

These brackets have the same cross section as the steelwork, dropped off over night, and lying alongside.

post-12815-0-77976700-1471186725.png

So it looks like this is not fencing works but is work to put in cable runs.

Perhaps the 25kV will be run to Stalybridge, in these cable troughs, allowing Stalybridge to be energised before the "knitting" is put up between Stalybridge and Huddersfield?

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have just nipped out, to pick SWMBO up, and on the way back I pulled over to photo the state of play at the end of play!

post-12815-0-18776800-1471190740_thumb.jpg

And zoomed in...

post-12815-0-14323500-1471190751_thumb.jpg

It must be cable trunking.

(It's in the wrong position and the wrong way round(!) for a livestock fence.)

Kev.

(She was not amused!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ,

I was vaguely away of the plan but thought that maybe they might save money by "mixing" bits of schemes up a bit to save duplication.

(I know, it don't work that way...)

Incidentally, there is no sign of works (for masts) at Stalybridge Station yet.

There is plenty of bridge work going on between Ashton and Stalybridge, but Stalybridge (Down) platform 4's Canopy (to Mossley and Huddersfield) has had some work done to the line overhang recently - maybe clearance related, I don't know...

Kev.

A cable to Stalybridge station sounds like a waste of money compared with just doing that bit of OLE now that would be done in a few years time anyway.  However it does have the advantage that the feeder would still be able to supply power to the network west of Stalybridge if the OLE was de-energised for maintenance east of Stalybridge. 

• RMweb Gold

There will need to be some changes to the service pattern through Stalybridge as locals start to go over to electrics. At the moment the common off-peak run is Blackpool N. - Huddersfield - Wigan W. - Stalybridge - Manchester V. Due to space limitations at Victoria a number of trains will need to continue to Stalybridge to turn back even if they don't run through to Huddersfield as electrics in the short term.

• RMweb Premium

A cable to Stalybridge station sounds like a waste of money compared with just doing that bit of OLE now that would be done in a few years time anyway.  However it does have the advantage that the feeder would still be able to supply power to the network west of Stalybridge if the OLE was de-energised for maintenance east of Stalybridge.

I think it's quite normal. The feeder to the actual overhead needs to be in the right place for isolations but grid connections are very expensive and take years of planning. There is a similar one along the ECML somewhere near Stevenage that runs for several miles so that the feed goes in at the right place. The feeder cable will probably be able to carry much more current than the overhead would be able to. However no doubt the electrical engineers on this forum will be able to explain better.

PS Thanks for the updates Kev, you obviously derive a Blue Peter Badge or a CDM and bar for such conspicuous gallantry in obtaining the last picture.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

This morning, the line had some activity so I went to investigate...

Here, I have taken a leaf out of DaveF's book on composing railway photographs!

attachicon.gifDSC_2029a.jpg

This location is about half way between the sub-station and the Tunnel just north of Stalybridge Station. (The southern end of Printworks Rd.)

The road shows (under the length of the road) how the Stalybridge re-modelling and signalling scheme got its power connection from the same sub-station a few years earlier.

Zoomed in to show detail.

At first, I thought this was the inevitable march of the anti-trespass fencing that is now common but it did not seem "right"...

attachicon.gifDSC_2031b.jpg

(It looks like they are using that special "instant concrete" for posts where you dig the hole, accurately position the post in it, poor in the concrete mixture and then add water. Hence the supply of water on the trolley.)

Yesterday's view, (from the footbridge a couple of hundred meters north of the photos above), looking south towards Stalybridge...

attachicon.gifDSC_2003a.jpg

Today same view...

attachicon.gifDSC_2039a.jpg

Here I have zoomed in again, and the short up-right posts have two brackets on them - one at the top and the second midway to the ground.

These brackets have the same cross section as the steelwork, dropped off over night, and lying alongside.

attachicon.gifDSC_2036b.png

So it looks like this is not fencing works but is work to put in cable runs.

Perhaps the 25kV will be run to Stalybridge, in these cable troughs, allowing Stalybridge to be energised before the "knitting" is put up between Stalybridge and Huddersfield?

Kev.

They are similar to stuff being installed alongside some parts of the GWML and I too have presumed they are for hv cable as they are very different from normal signal cable troughing etc

• RMweb Gold

Line side clearance work west of Stalybridge, on the Guidebridge line, has been going on for a week or so now.

This is located, at a trackside Plant (doh!) access point, at the old junction of the long gone Guidebridge avoiding line to Stockport.

Clearance work is continuing in both directions from this point.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Rode past there yesterday and it did strike me whether the tunnel at Stalybridge is OK for OLE clearances or if it still needs to be modified.

The other point about putting the feed on masts is that the HMRI may not be happy about bare feeders in areas where there are no electric trains. 

• RMweb Gold

High voltage live equipment running parallel to OLE induces quite high voltages in OLE that is switched off but not earthed, so is not a good solution. In extreme cases extra earthing has to be applied which increases the time to take and give up isolations.

I think it would be an insulated feed in a trough rather than a bare feed on masts, not least because the masts are not there yet.  With the feed and return close to each other there would be much less inductive coupling than if they are more widely separated as they are in OLE.  I've seen cable troughs with 25kV warning signs on them (I think there's one near Slade Lane) so I believe this does happen in places. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had a day riding the metrolink system yesterday and as we approached the terminus at Ashton Under Lyne I saw what appeared to be bridge works and a rather large crane that looked as if it was about to be dismantled. Had a new bridge been put in over the bank holiday.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today, after a car puncture  :( , my son wanted to walk home along Printworks Rd through the sub-station instead of the more direct route along the main road.

I didn't but, as usual, I didn't win so we walked home through the sub-station. I'm glad we did as I was able to get an update. :)

The two SGTs are more complete but are not connect up yet so I didn't bother to photograph them.

The Network Rail connection to the Transpennine Route has, however, now seen some installation progress just adjacent to the main line.

(I expect the trees to be cleared soon revealing the main line just up a short embankment beyond the fence.)

post-12815-0-61761600-1473539639_thumb.jpg

Although clearly this is high voltage equipment it is also clearly not as high voltage as the 'stuff' just over the road at 275/400kV!

Interestingly, one of the "feeders" to Stalybridge is from Stocksbridge via the Woodhead Tunnel.

The line side conduit has been (mostly) bolted up but still looks wonky and just a bit wobbly! 

post-12815-0-06431500-1473539653_thumb.jpg

(I always try to get a train in the picture but, once again, I failed miserably!)

In other news.

Line side clearance work has discovered the up platform of the former "Park" station!

(Located between Baguley Fold Junction and Mills Platting.)

Unrelated, but still of interest, Freightliner are building a wagon repair shed at Guidebridge - on the site of the former "Virtual Quarry".

This is small, (~4 HIAs(?) in length), and looks to be eminently modellable.

Kev.

• Like 2

I had a day riding the metrolink system yesterday and as we approached the terminus at Ashton Under Lyne I saw what appeared to be bridge works and a rather large crane that looked as if it was about to be dismantled. Had a new bridge been put in over the bank holiday.

Jamie

There's some work going on at the Richmond Street bridge to the south of the bypass, as far as I could see when I drove past yesterday. Richmond Street is closed at that point. This is the one over the Denton Jct- Ashton Moss N.J. line.

There's some work going on at the Richmond Street bridge to the south of the bypass, as far as I could see when I drove past yesterday. Richmond Street is closed at that point. This is the one over the Denton Jct- Ashton Moss N.J. line.

has been closed for a good monthfor this bro 

• 2 months later...

whole project may have just suffered a delay as the road giving access to the electrification site was heavily flooded lastnight being submerged in upto 15ft of water in some place this lead to the newly strengthend bridges over the canal and river tame plus the new electricity pylon thats under construction were inundated and suffered structural damage resticting access .the area is still sealed off and under water causing traffic chaos do hope SHMD of the parish is unaffected and safe from the deluge ,

• RMweb Premium

On this topic, I was at a meeting a couple of weeks ago and someone mentioned that the design team are now proposing a flyover at Heaton Lodge Junction as the solution to electrifying the underpass tunnel. This IIRC was one of the 6 difficult structure that were identified very early on. Two others that I can remember are the ring road overbridge at Cross gates, due to it's elliptical arch shape, and a sewer pipe at the west end of Hudderfield Station.

Any further info on these matters would be appreciated.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

whole project may have just suffered a delay as the road giving access to the electrification site was heavily flooded lastnight being submerged in upto 15ft of water in some place this lead to the newly strengthend bridges over the canal and river tame plus the new electricity pylon thats under construction were inundated and suffered structural damage resticting access .the area is still sealed off and under water causing traffic chaos do hope SHMD of the parish is unaffected and safe from the deluge ,

Yesterday it fair bounced it down!

Thanks for the concern Peanuts.

Me, Mrs SHMD and Master SHMD are all fine. Although all footwear, and the lower half of our clothing got totally soaked/submerged in Stalybridge town centre outside the library and along Melbourne St. Grid-lock resulted as Huddersfield Rd eventually became impassable and all 3 Trans Pennine rail routes closed!

The property is fine but the chickens want a better fence and day shelter! (They sure were pleased to see me this morning!)

(Our house is a good 100ft higher than the flood affected area at the bottom of the valley. So unless a run-off starts up suddenly down the hillside and past us, we should {always} be fine.)

This morning I saw several blown over trees, a few pavements where the flag-stones had been lifted/washed away and a few abandoned vehicles. Lots of debris everywhere. All witnessed as a result of the diversions now in place.

(Most of the water damage being of the fast-running / undercutting type of damage.)

The worst affected area, of Stalybridge, was at the Junction of Grove Rd, and the main valley thoroughfare, Huddersfield Rd.

This is where the SGT turned off the main Rd and started its reverse itinerary towards its final resting place at the sub-station along Printworks Rd.

All the heavy equipment has been delivered so workers and light equipment will have no problem accessing site via Printworks Rd or Springbank Ln.

I would be surprised if the canal and river bridges are damaged as I have seen much worse 'river levels' than yesterdays levels over the last 40+ years.

Also, all traffic running along Huddersfield Rd was diverted over these bridges this  morning including me and Master SHMD.

The flash floods are also, partly in due, to the vast quantities of the "wrong type of leaves" - ie big broad leafed sycamores blocking all the grids but there was a 'funnelling effect' as the run-off from two moors was concentrated at the en of Grove Rd.

Kev.

(I have continued to take photos of the sub-station's SGT installation but none, I have deemed, are really worth the uploading yet.)

Yesterday it fair bounced it down!

Thanks for the concern Peanuts.

Me, Mrs SHMD and Master SHMD are all fine. Although all footwear, and the lower half of our clothing got totally soaked/submerged in Stalybridge town centre outside the library and along Melbourne St. Grid-lock resulted as Huddersfield Rd eventually became impassable and all 3 Trans Pennine rail routes closed!

The property is fine but the chickens want a better fence and day shelter! (They sure were pleased to see me this morning!)

(Our house is a good 100ft higher than the flood affected area at the bottom of the valley. So unless a run-off starts up suddenly down the hillside and past us, we should {always} be fine.)

This morning I saw several blown over trees, a few pavements where the flag-stones had been lifted/washed away and a few abandoned vehicles. Lots of debris everywhere. All witnessed as a result of the diversions now in place.

(Most of the water damage being of the fast-running / undercutting type of damage.)

The worst affected area, of Stalybridge, was at the Junction of Grove Rd, and the main valley thoroughfare, Huddersfield Rd.

This is where the SGT turned off the main Rd and started its reverse itinerary towards its final resting place at the sub-station along Printworks Rd.

All the heavy equipment has been delivered so workers and light equipment will have no problem accessing site via Printworks Rd or Springbank Ln.

I would be surprised if the canal and river bridges are damaged as I have seen much worse 'river levels' than yesterdays levels over the last 40+ years.

Also, all traffic running along Huddersfield Rd was diverted over these bridges this  morning including me and Master SHMD.

The flash floods are also, partly in due, to the vast quantities of the "wrong type of leaves" - ie big broad leafed sycamores blocking all the grids but there was a 'funnelling effect' as the run-off from two moors was concentrated at the en of Grove Rd.

Kev.

(I have continued to take photos of the sub-station's SGT installation but none, I have deemed, are really worth the uploading yet.)

Some on Faceache were saying there was a fair amount of run-off from the reservoirs in the Brushes Valley; Some indeed were saying that one of them had failed; which is obviously nonsense.

Some on Faceache were saying there was a fair amount of run-off from the reservoirs in the Brushes Valley; Some indeed were saying that one of them had failed; which is obviously nonsense.

think the big extra factor why saddleworth and tthe stalybridge end of tameside were hit so hard was the amount of snow that was still sitting at the higherlevels which appears to have melted and combined with the heavey rain and blocked culverts lead to the flooding see well i hole bridge is damaged and the road still closed for the second time in twelve months . the real suprise was micklehurst road being inundated as the culvert is very very well amintained along there 

think the big extra factor why saddleworth and tthe stalybridge end of tameside were hit so hard was the amount of snow that was still sitting at the higherlevels which appears to have melted and combined with the heavey rain and blocked culverts lead to the flooding see well i hole bridge is damaged and the road still closed for the second time in twelve months . the real suprise was micklehurst road being inundated as the culvert is very very well amintained along there 

Another factor could have been that most of the remaining leaves were blown off the trees by the high wind, blocking drains and stuff. I've seen footage of one of our councillors knee-deep trying to unblock them.