Transpennine Upgrade : Manchester/Leeds

Not sure it's in their remit - my impression is that XC seems to be one of the unfortunate 'down to a price' franchise lets, similar to that which afflicted GNER/East Coast, i.e. less about passengers or capacity, but more about cutting costs enough to afford the premium to the DfT and avoid an embarrasing failure which would affect their chances elsewhere. :(

• RMweb Gold

Not sure it's in their remit - my impression is that XC seems to be one of the unfortunate 'down to a price' franchise lets, similar to that which afflicted GNER/East Coast, i.e. less about passengers or capacity, but more about cutting costs enough to afford the premium to the DfT and avoid an embarrasing failure which would affect their chances elsewhere. :(

Agreed. CrossCountry has always been a bit of a "Cinderella". That's partly because it has very varying flows of traffic with more emphasis on leisure travel.

But 220s are not cheap to run. Locos plus push-pull sets could work out much better for XC even with the daft track access charges regime.

I had a rare journey over it yesterday and passed a "binliner". I've also seen intermodal trains, but nowhere near as many as on the main routes to the ports.

Freight between the South East and the North East is having more and more trouble getting onto the double-track parts of the ECML and the alternative via Lincoln isn't electrified. With Transpennine done, electrifying Stockport to Stalybridge creates an alternative route via WCML.

Agreed. CrossCountry has always been a bit of a "Cinderella". That's partly because it has very varying flows of traffic with more emphasis on leisure travel.

But 220s are not cheap to run. Locos plus push-pull sets could work out much better for XC even with the daft track access charges regime.

If the stock is too expensive for CrossCountry then it will be even more so for a TOC that doesn't need its costly special features. You'd be better off obtaining some appropriate stock for TransPennine, which can't make much use of a 125mph capability but really needs a layout with wide doors at one and two thirds positions so as to handle the amount of boarding, alighting and standing (hopefully only for short distances).

The most sensible option might be an EMU with couplings and push-pull equipment to work with a diesel loco between Middlesbrough and York or between Leeds and Hull. Scarborough would be taken out of the Transpennine network and served by extending the Blackpool-York trains.

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait for the new, (meaningless/pointless/politically correct/information-less station announcements at Stalybridge :-

“Please stand clear on the platform 2. Fast Train approaching.â€...

“This is a security announcement. Please do not leave unattended luggage. Luggage unattended is liable to be over reacted to.â€

“We are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '0.0002' seconds late.†- “Nameless Rail are sorry for this delay and apologies for any inconvenience caused.â€

Nothing...

More nothing...

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '5' minutes late.â€

“The '07:11' service to 'HUDDERSFIELD' is now standing at Platform 4.â€

Nothing...

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '6' minutes lateâ€.

“The '07:11' service to 'HUDDERSFIELD' is now standing at Platform 4.†- “Calling at 'MOSSLEY', 'GREENFIELD', 'MARSDEN', 'SLAW-IT' and 'HUDDERSFIELD'â€.

Said train now arrives at Platform 4.

More nothing...

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '7' minutes lateâ€.

“This is a security announcement. Please do not leave unattended luggage. Luggage unattended is liable to be over reacted too.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '8' minutes lateâ€.

“Please stand clear on the platform 4. Fast Train approaching.â€...

Nothing...

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '9' minutes lateâ€.

“Please stand clear of the train on Platform 4.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '10' minutes lateâ€.

“Please stand clear of the odorous train standing at Platform 4.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '11' minutes lateâ€.

“Please do not approach the redolent train standing at Platform 4.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '12' minutes lateâ€.

“Please do not approach the odorous train standing at Platform 4.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '13' minutes lateâ€.

“Please do not approach the stenchful dusty-bins train standing at Platform 4.â€

“Nameless Rail are sorry but the '07:04' service to 'SOUTHPORT' is running approximately '15' minutes lateâ€.

“The train now arriving at Platform 2 is the 'DELAYED' '07:04' service to ''SOUTHPORT' calling at 'â€Ashton-Under-Lyneâ€, “Manchester Victoriaâ€, “The next stationâ€, several more “Stations†and 'SOUTHPORT'†- “Nameless Rail apologies for this delay and any inconvenience caused.â€

“This is a security announcement. Please do not leave unattended luggage. Luggage unattended is liable to be over reacted too.â€

…

blah,

Blah.

BLAH...

…

• Like 3

How far towards the east is the knitting going to reach surely passenger levels at Grimsby are not high, as to Hull there would seem to be a case ,any thoughts guys?

The hourly Transpennine services to Cleethorpes get a pretty respectable loading. I've not been on them so much since the 185s came in, but when 2-car 158s were the usual stock, it was common for a down train to be "comfortably full" leaving Grimsby and with people filling the aisles after Scunthorpe. Of course, all of those services run via the Hope Valley rather than via Leeds, so are irrelevant to the electrification scheme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Reliable source....hmm!

Now, I have to admit I don't know the layout at Stalybridge, but unchanged since WW1? Really?

True, the centre roads, and the l&y bays, went well after that.

• RMweb Gold

presumably the layout would have been altered in the 60's when the Micklehurst loop was taken out.

Jamie

They lifted only the Down Line when the Micklehurst Loop closed.

The Up Line was left in place all the way to Millbrook station, (closed 1909), to serve Hartshead Power Station at Heyrod.

The Junction for the Loop Line was pretty much still there up until a few weeks ago.

I Up line to the Power Station was lifted in the late 70s (I think).

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

I can certainly remember at least one centre road in the 70s.

During the 70s, the remaining centre road, (the old Up Through), was actually a Siding which was connected to the existing Up Main near the 'current' Signal Box.

I don't know when that was lifted.

I'm amazed that the space, where the two centre roads used to be, is not being used in the current remodelling of Stalybridge.

Kev.

I think they are building out the Down Main platform a bit into the space so as to give enough width for the new bay. This would also make sure that the wires were far enough away that they didn't have to alter the canopy.

They lifted only the Down Line when the Micklehurst Loop closed.

The Up Line was left in place all the way to Millbrook station, (closed 1909), to serve Hartshead Power Station at Heyrod.

The Junction for the Loop Line was pretty much still there up until a few weeks ago.

I Up line to the Power Station was lifted in the late 70s (I think).

Kev.

pretty much spot on kev the micklehurst loop was lifted around 1972-3 can remember the lifting trian coming past the bottom of my garden at uppermill

the junction to millbrook went around 79 the siding in the center road was used when york mail used to split there on the way to stockport think that went around the time the attochem siding was installed

talking of millbrook was down there yesterday looking at the warehouse the coal drops are still there complete with the mechanism to open bottom doors someone has excavated the steps down to the conveyor underneath sadly they have scavenged all the bits of conveyor from in there and are busy collecting any bits of scrap they can find to "way in"

The main part of the Micklehurst loop was lifted in about 1968-9; Peanuts, you probably won't remember the derailment at the points at the west end of the yard at Uppermill! I can well remember the stacks of sawn sleepers in Butterhouse Tunnel, and other places.

What time were you out yesterday, as I was in the afternoon photographing the goings-on along the line. If someone could give me a tutorial on posting photos, I'd put them up. There were a couple of surprises.

The main part of the Micklehurst loop was lifted in about 1968-9; Peanuts, you probably won't remember the derailment at the points at the west end of the yard at Uppermill! I can well remember the stacks of sawn sleepers in Butterhouse Tunnel, and other places.

What time were you out yesterday, as I was in the afternoon photographing the goings-on along the line. If someone could give me a tutorial on posting photos, I'd put them up. There were a couple of surprises.

i dont remember the derailment but i know do who caused it hes married to our sister ! can remember seeing the train tho

you need either a flicker or photobucket account and you link them from there bro

late afternoon between the "showers " supprised how much is left down there to be honest tho the warehouse is beggining to realy deteriorate now lots of slates blown off the roof etc . the engine shed further up is slowly being destroyed by the local vandals tho the coalstage/fuel point is still in pretty good nick

Hello 62613,

when your writing a messages at the bottom R/H corner you will see a button 'more reply options' click on it. This will open your message in a new page? At the bottom of the message box you will see Attach Files, Below this you will see an empty box with a browse button, click the browse button, this will open a menu box look for my pictures click on that. It will open the folders co your photos doubled click on the one that contains the photos that you want, then double click on the photo, this will put the photos details in the box. Then click attach this file, this will then open a blue bar with a small copy of your at the left, and add to post / Delete. When you get to the point in your post that you want to insert your photo (the cursor is the point that the top left of the photo will be.

post-8920-0-22162900-1337278791_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since this thread was updated so I thought I better add something.

I've just got in from attending a lecture at the Leeds Branch of the Permanent Way Institution about the project. It was fascinating. It was done by Simon Coulthard of Network rail Apparently the project is well on track and the submission for a solution to the Hull/Scarborough/Middlesboro branches is with the DfT for consideration.

It essentially runs from Stalybridge to Colton Junction with Mickelfield Selby plus various short stretches eg Staylybridge Guide Bridge, Ashbury's St Phillips Park (Apparently for electric supply reasons as well as ECS workings) and the Hambleton loops. A new Grid connection will be built near Staylybridge. They are planning for a 6 trains per hours electric service plus one path for electrically hauled freight per hour with.

Initial services on parts of the route could start as soon as 2016 with ther full service in 2018.

Simon also showed photos of the structures that are likely to cause the biggest problems. From memory these include:-

The Bywash channel just east of Standege Tunnel,

The bridge over Marsden station.

Huddersfield Station tunnels (Apparently though the tunnel is big enough there is a large sewer pipe under the road bridge deckin)

Cooper Crossing (The underpass at Heaton Lodge Tunnel)

The A62 overbridge at Deighton

and finally the Leeds Ring Road Bridge at Cross Gates.

All in all the presentation was excellent and very positive. It is obvious that there is a lot mof work going on behind the scenes with a view to possible gauge clearances and diversionary routes but he wasn't able to give details of this as discussions are still ongoing.

Jamie

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

this thread has gone very quiet as there doesn't appear to be much progress on the ground however I believe that things will start to happen between Manchester victoria and Stalybridge this Christmas with a lot of preparation work due at Victoria.    Having just read the article in the latest Modern railways about the quality control issues with the wiring between Manchester and Earlstown I hope that the other stages of the lancashire triangle scheme will act as a training ground for a newly skilled workforce that can then move seamlessly on to the trans pennine scheme.

Any updates about progress from anyone in the know would be appreciated.  As I live near Morley this will be my local line and I'm looking forward to seeing wires strung through the tunnel and station.

Jamie

I would indeed imagine that work will be concentrated west of Manchester.  The Modern Railways article notes that Chat Moss electrification is running late and this may delay the rest of the Lancashire Triangle.  These schemes are important to release suburban DMUs to address the dire shortage of such units in the North and elsewhere.  On the other hand the need for long-distance DMUs is less severe and it might not be too much of an issue if the Transpennine electrification slipped a bit and the 185s had to remain there for another year or so. 

I believe the work at Victoria over Christmas includes lowering the track to get clearance under bridges, but I don't think any wires will appear until later. 

• RMweb Premium

have noted there is scaffolding around all the standage tunnel vents at the moment could this be linked to this work ?

just waiting for some urbexers to report 

They've got quite a bit of work to do on those as I believe they need to ahve at least one tunnel available for emergency access.

Jamie