The changing face of Bristol

What has been sacrificed to achieve that?

I remember that on the down side there used to be:- down loop, down reception, then the yard roads (9 at one time)

edit this was the view in the 1980s

Pic 31 Stoke Gifford Yard View a.jpg

cheers

Kev,

What was the down loop is now the platform road (Bristol parkway passenger loop line) which then goes on down what was the spur (down Bristol parkway relief line) and out onto the Down Filton so it bypasses the junction

The down reception is now the Down Bristol parkway goods loop

Nice 'everyday' picture of the yard, just how I remember it - before STJ closed and the two centre roads were relaid

Edited by 101
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What has been sacrificed to achieve that?

I remember that on the down side there used to be:-  down loop, down reception, then the yard roads (9 at one time)

edit this was the view in the 1980s

attachicon.gifPic 31 Stoke Gifford Yard View a.jpg

cheers

Probably not much to be honest - and of course some of us can remember Stoke Gifford Up Yard, which vanished under Parkway station and its ever growing car park a long time ago.  Different world, different railway.

Kev,

What was the down loop is now the platform road (Bristol parkway passenger loop line) which then goes on down what was the spur (down Bristol parkway relief line) and out onto the Down Filton so it bypasses the junction

The down reception is now the Down Bristol parkway goods loop

Nice 'everyday' picture of the yard, just how I remember it - before STJ closed and the two centre roads were relaid

No down loop? 

So, photos like this will not be possible any more?   :O

post-4474-0-03783000-1514718743_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I’m told by one of the project team that once Filton four tracking comes in December 18, there will be a bi di option all the way from Severn Tunnel to BPW via the UP & DN tunnel lines, also a new UP direction move from the UP Filton at Abbey Wood which will also UP trains to access the new P1 at BPW from the UP Filton.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m told by one of the project team that once Filton four tracking comes in December 18, there will be a bi di option all the way from Severn Tunnel to BPW via the UP & DN tunnel lines, also a new UP direction move from the UP Filton at Abbey Wood which will also UP trains to access the new P1 at BPW from the UP Filton.

That would be really good - seeing the reversible commissioned all the way from Lining to Patchway only about 20 30 years after some of the signals for it were first erected (and never commissioned of course).  Mind you coming Up the Down over the 1 in 68 west of Patchway Tunnel could prove rather interesting for some trains, then the 1in80/1in90 in the tunnel won't give them any chance to get their wind back, definitely not the way to route certain freight trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When the new housing at Portishead Docks was under construction, you could just drive in. 

When I was doing my A levels, I made this music video and it was a great space to drive around in. The rails on the dockside were being lifted at the time (in fact the thumbnail shows us driving over the old quayside lines)

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 6

When the new housing at Portishead Docks was under construction, you could just drive in.

When I was doing my A levels, I made this music video and it was a great space to drive around in. The rails on the dockside were being lifted at the time (in fact the thumbnail shows us driving over the old quayside lines)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMmRI_SQvJE

Very good footage, but I must express myself disappointed to discover that you are not actually Graham Chapman living under an assumed name ;).

• Like 1

Looking at it in those early days, one wonders why the two outer platform faces were not brought into use then, and not forty years on.

Bristol Parkway was very much an experiment in the new concept of the Parkway, hence minimal expense on platforms and buildings. Among other things, using the outer platform faces may not have been possible due to track levels and alignment, and there was no need at that time. If there'd been much more expense and the experiment didn't work out, BR would been accused of wasting yet more taxpayers money. Who could have forseen how the Parkway principle would grow since the 1970s to what it is today?

Pretty much how I remembered it from 1975/6, when Bristol Poly moved from Unity Street to Coldharbour Lane- no buses from the place, nor paved footpaths. Looking at it in those early days, one wonders why the two outer platform faces were not brought into use then, and not forty years on.

When I was at the Poly 1980-84 Unity Street was still open - Wednesday was dancing night! The ceiling used to drip on us - ah we were young then ...

When I was at the Poly 1980-84 Unity Street was still open - Wednesday was dancing night! The ceiling used to drip on us - ah we were young then ...

I wonder what courses were based there? The BSc Econ and HND Business Studies had moved in 1975. Glad to see the Wednesday night bops continued- I was the DJ for a couple of years when it was revived in 1974.

Pretty much how I remembered it from 1975/6, when Bristol Poly moved from Unity Street to Coldharbour Lane- no buses from the place, nor paved footpaths. Looking at it in those early days, one wonders why the two outer platform faces were not brought into use then, and not forty years on.

I suppose another reason that the loops were not provided with platform faces was that they were more regularly used for freight work,

a lot of the engineering trains for the Badminton high speed route work started from there, and then then came the Tytherington stone traffic with six or seven

trips a day to and from the quarry,

cheers

Hmmm, a model of Bristol Parkway in 1972. Basically a couple of drab platforms in the middle of a downsized yard. BR Blue, Western Region, Presflos in the yard...yeah it's ticking all my boxes!

I don't remember seeing any Presflos there myself: apart from spoil wagons for the Patchway Tip, it was either ore-tipplers and hoppers for Tytherington, or yet more (unfitted) ones waiting to go into Barton Hill for vac-fitting. St Andrew's Road generally held much more interest for me.