The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Bristol and the surrounding authorities have a very poor track record [ no pun intended] when it comes to investment in transport. Being a Bristol lad myself  I have been extremely disappointed by local politicians inability to deliver any effective transport system for the area over the past forty years. Others areas; Manchester, Sheffield; Nottingham; Croydon and Birmingham have good light rail systems. Bristol could have had one but for the indecision and ineptitude of local politicians. Even the latest guided bus Metrolink has yet to get up and running.

And to think-barely 25yrs agio, none of the above had any light rail. There was only really DLR & Tyne & Wear for a,long time. As for Metrobus-well it had better deliver, otherwise it'll stifle any further attempt for years. Have they got an operator for it yet?

And to think-barely 25yrs agio, none of the above had any light rail. There was only really DLR & Tyne & Wear for a,Long time. As for Metrobus-well it had better deliver, otherwise it'll stifle any further attempt for years. Have they got an operator for it yet?

I seem to remember reading in the Bristol Post that it's First. What a surprise. Funny, this subject came up on another, non-railway forum over a year ago, and I was slammed down as being totally incorrect for saying that one hadn't yet been agreed, and I was told that I had no idea - by someone who lived nowhere near Bristol who was adamant that an operator HAD been agreed (at the time, HE was wrong... ), but when asked he wouldn't say who that operator was (because there wasn't one!).

• Like 1

I heard that First pulled out, then no one else wanted to run it? Did they just gift it to First in the end?

Yes, you are correct, they did pull out, and no other operator was interested, but I don't know any details behind the change of mind/plan. Old Red Trousers would never answer the question about operators whenever he was quizzed on Radio Bristol.

Edited by Coppercap

Guided? Hah! That would be dangerously close to a real system. Metrobus is just a few fancy bog standard bus routes.

Some of it will be a guided busway, and a lot has been specially built already on new alignments. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read that cyclists will be allowed on the guided busway. If it's true, that's really going to help speed things up!

Some of it will be a guided busway, and a lot has been specially built already on new alignments. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read that cyclists will be allowed on the guided busway. If it's true, that's really going to help speed things up!

Segregated, but not guided, as far as I know. Although yes, a lot of new alignment has been built including a bus-only junction on the M32: probably no cyclists on that section at least :D

Edited by Vanders

Segregated, but not guided, as far as I know. Although yes, a lot of new alignment has been built including a bus-only junction on the M32: probably no cyclists on that section at least :D

Travelwest's website says there's a guided busway in South Bristol, so I assume that's what's they've been building over there. The M32 bus gate is just for buses from the new P&R on the Ring Road to access/exit the M32.

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Premium

I believe the first 8 buses arrived in September, and most are currently being used in Bath on the various university routes (and Park & Ride it seems!) after the competitor withdrew at very little notice just before the start of term. One of them has apparently gone to Hengrove Depot to be fitted with guide wheels, and then will be used for driver training.
38784873772_f77c4486a0_b.jpg
36801 by first bristol, on Flickr

Info from Steve White's First Bristol News website

Travelwest's website says there's a guided busway in South Bristol, so I assume that's what's they've been building over there. The M32 bus gate is just for buses from the new P&R on the Ring Road to access/exit the M32.

From my observations on travel into Bristol from the South West (B3130/A370), there's a large concrete viaduct at Ashton Gate which overshadows the Level Crossing into the Industrial Park, a couple of concrete troughs through where the old PW depot was, leading to the old swing bridge over the New Cut, which has been refurbished.

It will be interesting to see if the Bristol Metro-whatever has the same issues as the Cambridge on did/does...

A couple of images culled from local press...

Ashton Gate - the railway line is what's left of the Portishead branch line:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/travelwest/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2.-Winterstoke-Road.jpg

New Cut - the old swing bridge over the River Avon, the PW dept was in the area below the guided busway and to the right of the Cumberland Basin road:

http://brightcove04.o.brightcove.com/4221396001/4221396001_5415230889001_5415200511001-vs.jpg?pubId=4221396001&videoId=5415200511001

To the left of the swing bridge in the second image was the run-round loop at the end of the Bristol Harbour Railway, which has obviously been cut back at this point.

According to a BBC report dated 20/06/17, FirstBus is the assigned operator for the Metro bus service.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 3

Whilst I make no comment on the merits, or otherwise, of the guided busway, I'm pleased to see that the swing bridge has received a new lease of life. It always looked to be on borrowed time when I was regularly through the area in the late 80s/early 90s.

Here is one end of the swing bridge in 1980

post-7081-0-52949700-1513571822_thumb.jpg

Western Fuel Company's Hudswell Clark shunting loco on the bridge,

at this date it was Western Fuel who operated coal trains over the line between Ashton Junction and Wapping Wharf, 11/2/80

cheers

• Like 12

+

Many years ago I had a Lorry rear-end me filtering from Coronation Road
up onto the Long Ashton Bypass - the idiot in front stopped instead of filtering

- it was a common occurrence.

Still, sandwiched once in over 20 years for the maneuver was not bad odds.

Noel

Edited by Dazzler Fan

+

up onto the Long Ashton Bypass - the idiot in front stopped instead of filtering

Noel

I have never had an accident there, or seen one happen, but the first time I drove that route I stopped instead of filtering,

I had never experienced a junction like it during my lessons.

(I am fairly sure it was not you in my rear view mirror that day!)

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bus on test in the old Ashton Meadows sidings area a few weeks ago.

post-898-0-45487700-1513636553_thumb.jpg

+

Noel

I live next to it, it happens all the time, I've seen and had near misses on both sides.

Another issue is pedestrians and cyclists on the road - a guy was killed there just the other day, 5am on a Saturday, I guess he was on his way home from a night out and got hit by someone not expecting to see anyone in the road? Earlier today a cyclist was trundling down the dual carriageway, in between the filter lane and the main road. An artic had to hit the anchors hard to be able to merge without flattening the cyclist (no lights, no hi vis) - I left him plenty of room to get in!

• RMweb Gold

No I think John Payne owns it now and it was under restoration at Long Marston recently. I believe it was an ex-PBA diesel. 'Merlin' at the KWVR was the same IIRC so the one in your pic could be from the same stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Bristol Parkway Platform one was signed into full passenger use in the early hours of this morning, along with the DN BPW Relief this will now be he normal route for trains bound for Bristol, with South Wales services going via platform 2.

What has been sacrificed to achieve that?

I remember that on the down side there used to be:-  down loop, down reception, then the yard roads (9 at one time)

edit this was the view in the 1980s

post-7081-0-88450200-1514710786_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 5