The changing face of Bristol

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I was just watching a series about "The Man Who Became Cary Grant". The "boyhood" scenes were apparently filmed in Liverpool, there being so little remaining of 1900s Bristol. 

Considering how little there is of 1900s Liverpool still standing, that's fairly saying something. 

I tried to find the Peckett works once, with no success.

Mind you, last time I was in Fishpool it was more like Mogadishu. 

Cary Grant's mum used to live in the same road as my Gran. A few doors down from my Gran and a few doors up from where Robin W (Barrow Road of this parish) lived when he was a lad.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I was just watching a series about "The Man Who Became Cary Grant". The "boyhood" scenes were apparently filmed in Liverpool, there being so little remaining of 1900s Bristol. 

Considering how little there is of 1900s Liverpool still standing, that's fairly saying something. 

I tried to find the Peckett works once, with no success.

Mind you, last time I was in Fishpool it was more like Mogadishu. 

Considering Liverpool used to have more listed buildings than any city except London, I find that surprising.  When I lived there 30 years ago there were vast areas of pre-1900 buildings still standing; apart from the "Welsh streets" and (thankfully) some of the worst 1960s creations in the city centre, I'm not sure how much has been demolished?  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, rockershovel said:

His birthplace still exists

Cary Grant's birthplace.

but it's disappointingly middle class-looking, and doesn't match the "squalid" environment required by the narrative.

I would guess that in 1900 these houses would have been relatively new and quite respectable.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Local paper said reason was budget.

• Like 2

Three quickly grabbed shots as I passed through Ashley Down Station this morning.

20231215_105335_resized.jpg.7b64de7c851d44c0cd4be6118a842785.jpg

20231215_105338_resized.jpg.7d1fc44ffaa767cf3e21f03de4b26b74.jpg

20231215_105339_resized.jpg.716e0ba14638cf07906d70ca234ddc27.jpg

It is also showing on our diagrams now.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 14

20 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

His birthplace still exists

Cary Grant's birthplace.

but it's disappointingly middle class-looking, and doesn't match the "squalid" environment required by the narrative.

I would guess that in 1900 these houses would have been relatively new and quite respectable.

There's an interesting point there. This country was an exporter of population for 200 years until about 1980. 

But emigrating wasn't for people with nothing. Watch Ken Burns' masterful documentaries on PBS; the American West was settled by people with a sufficient level of resources to establish themselves, long distances from their point of arrival. 

The USA offered opportunities to people with skills. A permanent shortage of skills of all descriptions, a common language and a very similar legal system drew in the aspiring working classes and lower middle classes who had little on offer in England. 

This is why you don't get the colonies of British Americans, in the fashion of the Dakota Swedes, Milwaukee Germans, Pennsylvania Dutch and the rest. The lower classes in England were subsumed into the industrial workforce, creating the first industrial cities, those "dark, satanic mills". That, or the Army and Navy. 

The young Archie Leach was literate and numerate. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, burgundy said:

Can't recall his name - probably doesn't have time to contribute to these intellectual conversations.....   🙈 🙉 🙊

• Like 4

Bristol Live as up-to-date as ever.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/plans-new-bristol-portishead-train-8983801?fbclid=IwAR25K4-hGFJdtd3dogJmnvMuqPp0eVzVWNt3hzxgQS0ZA4k4_4jq7-CvvQw

One bit particularly caught my eye "The first phase of works will see trains running hourly to Severn Beach from Bristol Temple Meads, via the Portway station and half-hourly services from Avonmouth to Severn Beach. Services will also run from Temple Meads to Bath and Westbury." Trains to Avonmouth and the Beach have been running this for the best part of a year now. Train from Temple Meads to Bath have been running for about 180 years and to Westbury for almost 160. Also states that the Portishead line is currently used for freighters. Well I have seen no ships on it.

• Funny 5