The changing face of Bristol

On 04/07/2023 at 17:23, woodenhead said:

Only on a Wednesday during monsoon whilst holding a baguette

That's clearly a very logical rule, as you clearly can't control the horse with a phone in one hand and a baguette in the other.  Not to mention the umbrella you need to keep dry.  

• Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

That's clearly a very logical rule, as you clearly can't control the horse with a phone in one hand and a baguette in the other.  Not to mention the umbrella you need to keep dry.  

I believe it would not be normal to control horses without the use of, at least, one hand, however, the Horse Guards, Band do have Kettle Drummers, with a Drum-stick in each hand and a waterproof hat.  Rather than attempting to control those magnificently calm mounts, by telepathy, they resorted to attaching the reins to the stirrups -  granted, not your normal equestrian mode - but, apparently very effective.

• Like 2

Temple Meads is having a new Eastern entrance constructed at the moment. There's a load of posters about it in the underpass. Presumably this is the works connected to it, seen from a 158 in 15 while waiting right time.

20230706_124157.jpg.5c1db8b3cb2417370b6cfe8bfa614278.jpg

20230706_124221.jpg.1f8476845f936afb1fd9b2c6aabc721a.jpg

Jo

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

I see they are also building on the Bath Road site too.

It's been that way for around 5 years now. Fancy bridge was built, at the cost of millions, for a concert hall, that is now going to be in Filton. Glad I am not a Bristol ratepayer.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, JZ said:

It's been that way for around 5 years now. Fancy bridge was built, at the cost of millions, for a concert hall, that is now going to be in Filton. Glad I am not a Bristol ratepayer.

Thought that bridge looked new(ish).

Used to travel through fairly regularly for work but last time in 2021 I drove as I did not want to be sealed into a Voyager for 4 hours.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Thought that bridge looked new(ish).

Used to travel through fairly regularly for work but last time in 2021 I drove as I did not want to be sealed into a Voyager for 4 hours.

I’m afraid Voyagers are what some of us have to tolerate..either that or 170’s. Tbh though,Temple Meads is very much now as I remember it in my student days in the early 1960’s.IMO badly in need of serious refurbishment and frankly a good clean up.For those with mobility problems it can be quite challenging.Last visit November 2022 using XC 220/221 & GWR 800. Not impressed. Oh for the days of Bath Road 82A….yes I was there then too.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This morning I noticed a Network Rail gauging train move slowly along the Portbury Line under Clifton Suspension Bridge. I suppose that it might be measuring how much additional work is needed to remove the vegetation. It remains to be seen when the heavy work on reinstatement of the line to Portishead starts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16582147@N07/53041970267

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 06/07/2023 at 16:32, JZ said:

Adge Cutler got it right when he wrote Virtute et Industrial ...

With one-way streets and flyovers, we know which way we'm facin'
Hast seen our brand new bridge, up there in Cumberland Basin?
The cars go by like thunder, and up and round and under,
Where they goes, nobody knows, tain't no bleedin' wonder!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! Portway Park & Ride opened today. There was a small ceremony yesterday, attended by the transport minister. Let's hope he got the right train home, the one who opened platform 1 at Bristol Parkway caught the wrong train home. Anyway, officially it was today. I went through on 2K10 at 08:10 and was totally underwhelmed. The least I expected was a brass band playing the Helston Floral Dance, or maybe Dvorak's New World Symphony, given how long this has dragged on. First picture was taken at 09:14 from 2K13.

363969177_10163227530414012_3676736511743143968_n.jpg.889a00f9ef4357fb34fc4c1490cae02c.jpg

Several passengers left the train, but didn't pick up anyone in either direction.

My next trip on 2K28 at 12:36 saw more getting off, but no pick ups, but we were terminating at Avonmouth. Managed to grab a quick selfie with my driver, Emily and trainee guard Tom.

364771556_10163227530919012_7450799512060504730_n.jpg.d8a0170f255077d5ac49ec0d2423874e.jpg

. The return on 2Y27 saw around 10 join the train there, Most had travelled from Bristol stations, but I did have one that had come up from Eastleigh.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2023 at 16:32, JZ said:

It's Bristol, isn't it.

P!ss ups and breweries come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I spotted a new development in the Clifton Down shopping centre today: a departures board for the adjacent station. It might act as a bit of outreach to those who frequent the area but are only vaguely aware of the railway and where it goes.

CliftonDown.jpg.f5a5335548d9f3d1dd53433ef6052957.jpg

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I spotted a new development in the Clifton Down shopping centre today: a departures board for the adjacent station. It might act as a bit of outreach to those who frequent the area but are only vaguely aware of the railway and where it goes.

CliftonDown.jpg.f5a5335548d9f3d1dd53433ef6052957.jpg

We get a fair few that go to Clifton for shopping. Some just from Redland and Montpelier, and others from the Avonmouth end.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

We get a fair few that go to Clifton for shopping. Some just from Redland and Montpelier, and others from the Avonmouth end.

It must help that the fares on the line haven't gone up for years. £2 return to Clifton Down from any station on the line, even without a railcard.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I came across this campaign to save the pub after which the Rhubarb Curve is named https://savetherhubarb.com/

I never got to go there. Not far from Temple Meads as the crow flies, but about 15 minute walk. I shan't be investing in it, as I already have money tied up in re-opening the Hop Pole in Limpley Stoke and the pub a few minutes walk from me looks like they might be heading for a crowdfunding. In this case the Pubco has already had two offers on it, but seem determined to sell to a developer for a lower sum. Funnily enough, this may, or may not be the Pubco that sold the Packhorse in Southstoke for a lower sum than offers to keep it as a pub. Fortunately the council stepped in and reversed the sale and now the pub is a thriving community owned pub.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spotted during my lunchtime stroll yesterday (5th Dec), hot water device no. 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe stands at the west end of Temple Meads, with a Vintage Trains Xmas special from Solihull.

5043_BristolTM_05122023

The photo was taken from Cattle Market Road, which leads from the Temple Gate / Bath Road junction, under the station to a junction with Feeder Road. The name comes from the site of a cattle market on the land where Temple Meads now stands.

The roadworks are in connection with a second passenger access being built on the east (St Phillips) side of Temple Meads, occupying land formerly used by the Royal Mail sorting office. This was demolished several years ago, and not before time really, as it was becoming a real eyesore.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 12

On 06/12/2023 at 07:55, rodent279 said:

occupying land formerly used by the Royal Mail sorting office. This was demolished several years ago, and not before time really, as it was becoming a real eyesore.

Referred to, on the railway at least, as Little Chernobyl.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Only indirectly a railway topic; the Kingsweston Iron Bridge lies on the route of a very attractive walk from Shirehampton station to Blaise Castle. It was struck by a lorry eight years ago and is only now being taken away for repair.

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/1-1m-works-repair-restore-kingsweston-iron-bridge-begin-soon/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/10/2023 at 22:27, JZ said:

I never got to go there. Not far from Temple Meads as the crow flies, but about 15 minute walk. I shan't be investing in it, as I already have money tied up in re-opening the Hop Pole in Limpley Stoke and the pub a few minutes walk from me looks like they might be heading for a crowdfunding. In this case the Pubco has already had two offers on it, but seem determined to sell to a developer for a lower sum. Funnily enough, this may, or may not be the Pubco that sold the Packhorse in Southstoke for a lower sum than offers to keep it as a pub. Fortunately the council stepped in and reversed the sale and now the pub is a thriving community owned pub.

Well, quite so. The purpose of pubco is to turn property into cash, not run pubs as businesses. Do keep up...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was just watching a series about "The Man Who Became Cary Grant". The "boyhood" scenes were apparently filmed in Liverpool, there being so little remaining of 1900s Bristol. 

Considering how little there is of 1900s Liverpool still standing, that's fairly saying something. 

I tried to find the Peckett works once, with no success.

Mind you, last time I was in Fishpool it was more like Mogadishu. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I was just watching a series about "The Man Who Became Cary Grant". The "boyhood" scenes were apparently filmed in Liverpool, there being so little remaining of 1900s Bristol. 

Considering how little there is of 1900s Liverpool still standing, that's fairly saying something. 

I tried to find the Peckett works once, with no success.

Mind you, last time I was in Fishpool it was more like Mogadishu. 

There isn't much left of either the original Peckett works, or the Fishponds Avonside works. I think there might be a boundary wall still standing, but that's about it.

St Phillip's Station is the same, the boundary wall still stands, and I think part of the platform, but there's a warehouse built virtually up to the wall. Nothing remains either of St Phillip's goods shed or Barrow Road mpd.

• Like 2