First Dabblings in O Gauge - Perry Street

cromptonnut

My curves are home made using a tape measure to set out the centre radii then 16mm either side on a piece of 2mm formica or in one case a piece of alloy that was the right size. They were cut out using a hand held fret saw just of the scibed line then finished with a file, cost nil as it was all scrap that had been left over from a kitchin table that we had and the sheet size of formica was 12in too wide so was cut off after gluing on to the top of the table.

regards

mike g

PS I think Railwood make simalar curves but they are wider than 32mm.

That is the kind of creative ingenuity that would have made our grandparents proud and created an empire Mike. Shame on me for thinking you'd bought them - I must get used to the idea that, in O, a lot more original thought and construction goes on than in it's smaller-scale counterparts :unsure:

David

Just heard back from Peco.

Thank you for your Email. There are currently no plans to add further points to our O gauge range. Medium radius points (72" radius) are the minimum radius recommended for O gauge finescale. Kind regards, A Beard, PECO Technical Advice Bureau

The O gauge flexitrack is also marked "Fine standard" - so I guess it depends which "fine" you mean...

I did put the point to them that tighter radius points did exist in sidings, docks etc and small 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 locos would quite happily go round them with 4 wheel wagons - all of which are more common in O gauge because of the size, but I assume they did their research on its popularity before deciding not to pursue them - when other manufacturers do provide them albeit generally in kit form.

Perhaps the hopeful popularity of Dapol's range will cause them to rethink?

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I will be at the Ilkeston Woodside MRC exhibition in Trowell in the 26th Feb with my little 0 Gauge layout. 78" x 18" with an integral fiddle yard.

Here's a pic;

mn2gqv.jpg

Regards - Jim

That's a nice little looking layout - what track are you using? They don't look like Peco to me.

One of my problems is wanting to do something more 'modern' I can't get away with an 0-4-0 and one carriage very easily. I'm still plodding on with the plan but I think I've almost found somehing workable in 12ft altogether.

Guest Jim Read

Hello CN,

The track and points are made from Code 100 rail glued to card sleepers.

Here's a close up of the 3 way under construction;

674caf.jpg

I made a drawing using a cane trammel scanned it flipped and layered it in Photoshop and glued it to the baseboard to make the point on top, it's quite easy just takes a bit of time :-)

Regards - Jim

• RMweb Gold

Nice layout. I presume you are the Jim Read whose layouts have featured in the Gazette before?

Regrading the points lets face it the Peco points are suitable for nearly all 0 gauge models and due to the design are relatively compact. So I can see Peco investing in anything else. If you want something smaller for an industrial layout Atlas probably do something. The old Lima and Rivarossi were pretty tight too.

Don

I wasn't aware of Atlas O gauge - any idea how it looks alongside Peco, anyone?

I can only really see a couple of things that might work anyway because a lot of it is three rail - I looked on the Gaugemaster site.

The tight Y might be useful if it looks ok but I will need to dig deeper and find some dimensions as it may just be too tight - a bit too "Setrack" if you know what I mean? Also, £70 is an expensive mistake if it turns out to be unsuitable.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Don,

I am Jim Read yes formerly of Birmingham now of Derbyshire, but the Gazette dunno abaht that, which Gazette would that be?

Hello CN

Making points is not difficult and I think one could make 1/2 a dozen for the price of one ready made effort, they do look better as well.

64meqb.jpg

Here's a close up of a 28" radius one I made all I have is a drawing, a roller gauge, a file and a small vice. Using solder and copperclad crossing timbers makes it even easier and the great thing about doing it is, you can adjust it if it doesn't work. I've seen bought points that derailed stock every time and there's no possibility of adjustment there.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello David,

Thanks for the nice comments .... errrrm well .... I cannot lay claim to being innovative I think Peco sold card sleepers at one time to which one glued the rail.

I did it because of the horrendous price of CC sleepers, it doesn't take long to cut a few hundred.

After the Trowell show I am taking up Carl Arendt's challenge of a layout in 4 sq ft, still in 0 gauge and I will only need one point and will make this with CC strips, the plain track though will be card sleepers. I model light railways where the rail was spiked to the sleepers, in 0 the visible bit would be about 0.3 x 0.8 mm, I draw the line at cutting bits of card that small :-)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello David,

Thanks for the nice comments .... errrrm well .... I cannot lay claim to being innovative I think Peco sold card sleepers at one time to which one glued the rail.

I did it because of the horrendous price of CC sleepers, it doesn't take long to cut a few hundred.

After the Trowell show I am taking up Carl Arendt's challenge of a layout in 4 sq ft, still in 0 gauge and I will only need one point and will make this with CC strips, the plain track though will be card sleepers. I model light railways where the rail was spiked to the sleepers, in 0 the visible bit would be about 0.3 x 0.8 mm, I draw the line at cutting bits of card that small :-)

Jim

hi there - fantastic track work :)

what type/weight of card do you use? I'm on a bit of a cardboard mission at the moment. New baby = no funds = hmmm card sounds like a good idea :D

Guest Jim Read

Hello CM,

Sorry about the late reply, I don't get the emails for the threads I post in, must have a look at my profile thingy.

The card I use is some scrap I scrounged from a printers in Birmingham about 20 years ago, just one sheet left now I'd used it to mount display photographs. It's about 1.6 mm thick and with a shiny surface, so I really can't be of much help with the weight and stuff.

I did make some track and points for a 00 layout and used picture mount card which worked quite well though I used CC strips for the points which are slightly thicker so I packed up the track near the points with some newspaper.

I gave up on the 00 and am going to do this in 0 Gauge on the same board.

fmjsm1.jpg

Card is a great material to work with, the body and chassis of this wagon is made from mount board, I made it in the 80's though dunno whether the rest of the bits are still available.

2rr43rd.jpg

I think I did a thread about how to make a van body from card but I daresay it's lost in the mists of time, can do it again if you would like to see it CM.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello CM,

I got hold of a copy of E. Rankine Gray's book 'Cardboard rolling stock and how to build it' and then bought second hand copies of Model Railway News with 7mm drawings of the wagons I wanted to make. I got in touch with ERG, he was closing his shop and he sent me a lot of drawings.

He sold the drawings to stick to your own card and kits for the bodies which were the drawings stuck to card, here's one of his kits;

1ht2k6.jpg

It's interesting in these days of buy it use it or assemble it and use it to see how modellers did it in the past.

Jim

Hello all,

I will be at the Ilkeston Woodside MRC exhibition in Trowell in the 26th Feb with my little 0 Gauge layout. 78" x 18" with an integral fiddle yard.

Here's a pic;

mn2gqv.jpg

Regards - Jim

Saw this Jim, and it was really good, got me thinking as a replacement for my St Budoc that I sold

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the nice comment I enjoyed the day immensely I like to talk to the light railway and 7mm enthusiasts and let the kids have a go, it always amazes me how quickly a six year old gets the hang of it and also the amount of young girls who take an interest and can deftly get the hang of the 3 link couplings much faster than most of the boys :-)

Jim

Hi Cromptonut, this is really looking as though it will be really good. I don't have the paicent to build track, I always want to start operation within 24 hours of getting the baseboard!!!!!!Brilliant mate, well done again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read
I model light railways where the rail was spiked to the sleepers, in 0 the visible bit would be about 0.3 x 0.8 mm, I draw the line at cutting bits of card that small :-)

Which explains the lack of chairs... nice work :-)

Hello David and Hello all,

After seeing David Taylors Charmouth I thought hmmmmm, and bought some spikes from KB Scale.

2yy1dnm.jpg

I was wrong about not using them which I hadn't on previous layouts I now think they look better.

Jim

Archived