First Dabblings in O Gauge - Perry Street

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

The spikes definately look good. I have some to make some 0 gauge points but using heavier rail for my 16mm live steam ones. I have seen if done using a thin brass baseplate with the spikes going through a drilled hole looked superb.

Don

Guest Jim Read

Hello Jordan and Hello Don,

They are rather difficult to get in I had to drill the holes first, I used a dentists burr through the card that didn't go quite all the way through the plywood. I used a pair of bent nose pliers to push them and then turn them into place, it takes quite a while to do it.

Sounds like a posh Lt Rly Don "'plates' goodness gracious we can't afford that, my man" I can hear Col Holman Stephens saying it.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have you seen http://www.gauge0gui...ayouts_1-02.pdf (Gauge 0 Guild small trackplans) ?

Page 13 at the top has one in 8ft x 1' 4"

[Edited to say that I have no expeience in 7mm - just have found that track plan publication food for thought]

Hi would any one have copies of the magzines that I could get photocopies of on the articles by Malcolm Carlsson's Poverton St. Johns and Ken Brennan's Poorsea which both appear in the Gauge O Guild Small Trackplans book? Poverton St. Johns was a series of articles on building a minimum space O gauge layout. If not does anyone know what magazine these two layouts appeared in?

Regards - Daryl Blake

• RMweb Gold

Ken's Poorsea appeared in Model Trains as did one of Malcom's layouts. Ken's was in a small shed and later added an outdor loop. He later adopted 16mm. Ken was using tight curves with small stock.

Don

• 1 month later...

Well at long last I'm getting somewhere. with a scenic area of 8ft x 33" plus fiddle yard on either end, on two levels, and cobbled together from six old boards that I have in my storage area.

Spurred on by Dapol's release of the milk tanks - one of which will either suit, or I'll be doing some conversions - the original possible plan of a milk depot alongside a branch line is the basic gist of it. Inspired by the "Country Creamery" drawing about half way down http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/milk.htm there will be three not two sidings, and a single line branch meandering along the back on a small embankment of 2-3 inches above the milk depot.

My Ruston shunter kit is progressing well, the DMU needs another trip to the paint shop (although the chassis is fine) and I have a Lima Mk 1 for clearance purposes. Obviously we don't have a release date yet for the milk tanks but in the meantime I can certainly do tracklaying and have everything working fine electrically, and start on the scenic work.

I think the tracklaying will be quite straightforward - I've got 5mm foamboard that i'll be using direct on to the board and will cut back where necessary to provide a raised area for ballasting from.

The wife is away till tomorrow so I've painted the storage board surfaces white because of the smell, then she's away again wednesday to sunday next week so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get all the boards together at least - and hopefully tomorrow will be the 'tracklaying ceremony' as I pin down the first length of flexitrack on the storage board - due to the size of the room it's going in, both storage yards need to be removable so I'd like to at least get that laid and on to the second board so I don't then need to have that in place to proceed further on the main scenic area. There's 12 inches of track on that first board in the visible section so that'll probably just be in a small cutting with an occupation bridge across it to disguise the "hole in the backscene" - which, of course, in O gauge is rather large.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to be honest, over the last few days I've laid 2 out of the 3 sidings, 2 points, and the polystyrene base for the raised branch at the rear has dried.

I abandoned the "six boards bolted together" as it was cumbersome and uneven, so the scenic area is now reduced to 8ft x 21" but there'll be another 4 inches or so of scenic bolted on the front - as this will not be "load bearing" then I am not too worried about construction not being as solid as the main boards.

I'm hoping this week to have made the holes for the point motors and by the end of the month to have the freight facility electrically operational. Still debating whether to have DCC control of the points (both of them) as although I have the equipment I didn't have a lot of luck getting the JMRI software to work on my last layout. Given that plenty of people have successfully done so, I'm guessing it isn't the software that's at fault.

Once the track is up and running then I hope to be weathering it, following "NSE DAZ"s technique in post 152 of his Shaftesbury layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46840-shaftesbury-o-gauge-nse-venture/page__st__150&do=findComment&comment=666318 - I now have the paint but am currently awaiting delivery of some spare bottles for my airbrush.

It's slow progress but I don't have a lot of "modelling time" - two annoying things called 'work' and 'sleep' keep getting in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Right... so I've gotten me a name, "Perry Street", named after where I used to live. Although there appear to be several in the country, this one is in Somerset, a few miles south of Chard and part of the area known as Tatworth/South Chard. Just a mile or so from my front door is the milk factory at Chard Junction, but as I don't have the space to model it properly (to scale, I'd be looking at 23ft just for the immediate factory area itself, plus storage facilities each end).

So what I've done is reversed the plan, turned the old station at Chard Junction into a small halt, and will use the pub at one end as a scenic blocker and a small part of an additional factory unit at the other end to block the view between that and make it look bigger than it is. I took this photo at a model show in 2001 and really liked the angle - I think it was called "Iceni Cement" if my memory serves me right.

viewthrough.jpg

Not much of a track plan, at the front is the siding from the main line into the freight facility, which splits into three thanks to a right hand and Y peco point. I have already created a basic operating sequence.

1) Track 2 contains wagons for a departing train plus factory shunter at "points" end, tracks 1 and 3 are empty.

2) Incoming train arrives on track 3.

3) Shunter removes wagons from incoming train on track 2 and pushes them into track 1, retaining brake van.

4) Train loco runs forward from track 3, reverses onto departing wagons on track 2 and pulls forward.

5) Factory shunter brings brake van forward, reverses into track 2, then runs into track 3 where the incoming wagons are waiting.

6) Train loco reverses to collect brake van and departs.

7) Factory shunter then shuffles wagons about as necessary, until the end of the sequence where all wagons are neatly waiting in track 2 for the next incoming train.

In the meantime, a DMU shuttle service (which, in time, I may look to automate) will be running along the single track at the rear at regular intervals. Future stock purchases will hopefully expand this, I rather like the idea of some ballast workings (Meldon style).

The scenic area is 8ft x just over 2ft on two boards. A third 4ft board (which can only be erected when the layout is in use as it blocks the kitchen doorway) will be a simple traverser which I haven't yet built. On the other end, which will not be fitted when the layout is at home, will be a further small extension to allow "through running" - sadly the space I have at home does not allow this to be fitted but as it's just literally a length of track on a board it will be no problem to add on in the future. If plans above for further stock materialise then this may well mutate into a second traverser of sorts.

It's going to be set in the southern region and at a time not yet determined in the late 70's/early 80's, partly influenced by what stock is available. My 2½ year project of building one Slaters wagon kit that has a body, wheels and it runs (but I am confused with brake gear/underframe detailas) so far has not particularly enthused me to further kit building (it's not the kit, it's me and lack of confidence that's the problem) so I've ordered a couple of Skytrex wagons to repaint and see how they look compared to some of the photos on Paul Bartlett's site (http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcovmerch) around that timescale.

Current state of progress is that the three sidings have been laid, weathered according to NSE DAZ's method (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46840-shaftesbury-o-gauge-nse-venture/page__st__150&do=findComment&comment=666318) although he seems to have made a much better job of it than I have, now ballased using N gauge ballast (I wanted a 'fine'/uncared for/old look) using the normal diluted PVA method (note to self, that is not milk in that old Fanta bottle and it does not need to go in the fridge) then I'll give it a further spray of 'crud' to represent something that for a number of years hasn't been relaid. I recall seeing rail chairs with dates from the 1920's still in the headshunt the last time I went down to the real thing and took photos from the public footpath that runs adjacent to it.

So, not quite dry yet but here's some trackwork.

Track1.jpg

Another angle of the sidings, with the famous "2½ year wagon" on it.

Track2.jpg

Finally, looking down towards the three buffer stops. This shows how the sidings are slightly below the branch track level (1" polystyrene) and across the road - where the roll of masking tape currently sits - will be a country pub, to be built from a vacuum formed kit I picked up from Ebay.

Buffers.jpg

More to come in due course - but progress is slow. Bear with me :)

An overall wash of matt black paint, with a bit of sleeper grime, mixed with some of the thinners I've used to clean my airbrush, liberally applied with a half inch paintbrush, gives me the following result which isn't far off of the effect I was looking for. All that's needed now is to finish the surrounding area with some plaster bandage, apply some weeds and suchlike around the buffers, and that should work quite nicely.

Track3.jpg

Glad I'm doing this in the summer though - the smell of paint thinners is really a bit too much and that's with all the windows open.

My 2½ year project of building one Slaters wagon kit that has a body, wheels and it runs (but I am confused with brake gear/underframe detailas) so far has not particularly enthused me to further kit building (it's not the kit, it's me and lack of confidence that's the problem) so I've ordered a couple of Skytrex wagons to repaint and see how they look compared to some of the photos on Paul Bartlett's site (http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcovmerch) around that timescale.

You are in the right place to ask questions. Post up a picture, if I can't help, I'm sure others will be able to post a picture or advise you.

I found that the parkside kits make up in to excellent models, so maybe a good place to try again.

Good job on the track.

You are in the right place to ask questions. Post up a picture, if I can't help, I'm sure others will be able to post a picture or advise you.

I found that the parkside kits make up in to excellent models, so maybe a good place to try again.

Basically I can't figure out where all the underframe stuff is meant to actually go so I'm not sure a picture of the bottom of the wagon with nothing but wheels and axleboxes is much use! But if you have any pictures of what it should look like, feel free to share :)

I see Parkside do a Grampus wagon, that's possibly the only one of any real use to me in my plans; it might be quite useful for an engineers service and a lot easier than a Sealion/Seacow (if a kit exists) - presumably in the late 70's/early 80's they would have been in the dark olive engineers livery rather than the grey/yellow?

The grampus would be painted in a dirty black. See Paul Barlett site for some inspiration on colour schemes and weathering.

He is the grampus I built recently

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/brushs-s7-modern-image-workbench.967/page-9

I think that there is 3 or 4 parkside wagons that may be of use to you to be honest.

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I finished my little Moxley Heath layout and will be at the Gidersome Show (near Leeds) on Sat the 8th Sep.

gallery_7438_2157_7363.jpg

Anyone is welcome to have a go.

Cheers - Jim

Well I've now discovered one of the reasons the Slater's kit was giving me so much hassle.

I have plastic sprues from completely different kits in the box, and one set of bits is missing. Perhaps the model shops idea of "new, unused" is slightly different than mine when I bought it a couple of years ago.

I've identified several "wrong bits" that appear to have been put on but I can't do much about those now, and phoned Slaters re the missing bit and they're going to get back to me and tell me if they can sell me the spare.

My faith in my abilities is slightly restored, now I've figured out the problems with bits not fitting right weren't quite my fault - although perhaps I didn't read the instructions as fully as I should have otherwise I might have noticed the bits were wrong.

Ah well. A learning curve. Hopefully it won't look too "out of place" alongside other wagons I get my hands on - if it does then it'll be dumped in a siding or "half in the building"....

Archived