RMweb

Railway footage in feature films and television...

Poirot last night, supposed to be Orient Express ,but hauled by standard class five at Peterborough with at least a few shots of Nice station at least the coaches were right.

It's the return working of the Black 5 that hauls the Orient Express past a Midland signalbox in "From Russia With Love"!

• Like 1

For some shots of the Nilgiri Mountain Railway a railway in India, built by the British in 1908.  The famous Hindi song Chaiyya Chaiyya from the film "Dil Se" was shot on the roof top of NMR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOYN9qNXmAw&list=FLSzMF5yinNwa1txNQaVw-qQ&index=9

Enjoy,

Ernie Puddick

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been mentioned but there was an episode of Frost with scenes filmed on what must have been a preserved railway.  IIRC the train that appeared was a green 33 (could be entirely wrong on this as I'm relying on a years old memory) with a short train of what looked to be 1950s/60s BR wagons.  Certainly something rather anachronistic for the late 1990s.

But then David Jason's a bit old to be playing a policeman who'd probably be in his mid-1950s at most...

But then David Jason's a bit old to be playing a policeman who'd probably be in his mid-1950s at most...

True, although I seem to remember that he was always supposed to be on the cusp of retirement but couldn't quite let go.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but there was an episode of Frost with scenes filmed on what must have been a preserved railway.  IIRC the train that appeared was a green 33 (could be entirely wrong on this as I'm relying on a years old memory) with a short train of what looked to be 1950s/60s BR wagons.  Certainly something rather anachronistic for the late 1990s.

Believe it was the East Lancs Railway. Perfect location for a town apparently served by Thames Valley Police, Northern Diaries, and Yorkshire Traction buses...

• RMweb Premium

Believe it was the East Lancs Railway. Perfect location for a town apparently served by Thames Valley Police, Northern Diaries, and Yorkshire Traction buses...

In one episode of Frost, someone arrived at denton by train and they used wakefield Westgate shot from overhead, I'm not sure which building the filmed from but the unusual angle made it quite hard to recognise initially.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the episode of Inspector Morse where one of the suspects slips off to Didcot whilst under surveillance!!  Several good shots of DMU's at Oxford (Class 117's etc) although at one point it is in NSE livery from one angle and blue/grey in another and the full view departure shot!

Various early series episodes have some nice close ups of NSE Mk2's of various flavours and at one point the blue CCT and GUV are glimpsed (by the way are they still there?) 

Edited by John M Upton

Just watched the episode of Inspector Morse where one of the suspects slips off to Didcot whilst under surveillance!!  Several good shots of DMU's at Oxford (Class 117's etc) although at one point it is in NSE livery from one angle and blue/grey in another and the full view departure shot!

Various early series episodes have some nice close ups of NSE Mk2's of various flavours and at one point the blue CCT and GUV are glimpsed (by the way are they still there?) 

GUV and CCT are still in the north end bay John.

• 6 months later...

Just watched NCIS LA and it finished with one of the characters gets an Airfix prairie tank landing in the lap. Also Thomas the Tank get a mention when the same character mentions his dislike of Thomas because "Thomas has a face. Trains shouldn’t have a face and they shouldn’t talk!"

Only the briefest of views, but in 'Holby City' last week, there was a shot out of an upper-floor window with a large brick-built GWR-design signal box visible in the distance. I know that much of the filming for this, and other BBC programmes, takes place in Cardiff, but can't think where such a box might be seen.

Just caught a re-run of Columbo.  It was a bonus to get a "new" one, well new for us...

It was "Any Old Port In A Storm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo_%28season_3%29 (Season 3, Episode 2) from 1973.

Donald Pleasence is a vinyard owner who kills his half-brother when he reveals he's about to sell the land to a large company only interested in cheap, mass produced wine, rather than the high quality wine that he produces.

I'll not reveal how he catches him, but in one scene Columbo leaves the winery and walks along outside. In the background is a line in the ground which I thought looked like a rail.  As the camera pans out it is indeed a railway track, and as Coumbo turns round to ask his "just one more thing" it is seen to be a curving rail track leaving the yard.

It may have been just the camera angle but it seemed to be broad gauge.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Columbo (looking at his notebook) - "My handwriting is so bad sometimes I think I should've been a doctor."

Edited by DavidBird

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but there is Terror on a Train 1953, also known as Time Bomb depending on which country were are in, with Glenn Ford, Maurice Denholm, Victor Maddern and numerous other common faces of British films. Which featured BR 8F

Ghost Ship 1952 with Dermot Walsh, Hugh Burden & Hazel Court and a short appearance of Ian Carmichael. Featuring several shots of 2 car Southern Electrics...still bearing Southern lettering I think. I have done some screen shots so will try to find and post them.

On the Arthur Askey front, alongside The Ghost Train, there is also The Love Match when, if I remember, he pinches a Midland 4F 0-6-0 and it's train so he can get to a football match.

I do remember there being several railway lines shown in Carry on Constable...don't remember any trains but several sound effects.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but there is Terror on a Train 1953, also known as Time Bomb depending on which country were are in, with Glenn Ford, Maurice Denholm, Victor Maddern and numerous other common faces of British films. Which featured BR 8F

In the movie Terror on a Train, "Felsworth Sidings" was a disused railway yard in a residential area to where some genius had diverted a train of naval mines en route from Birmingham to Portsmouth when it turned out to have a time-bomb on board. It was in reality the old Hammersmith and Chiswick station in West London. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hammersmith_and_chicwick/ This had been the terminus of a rather hopeless short branch that ran from South Acton on the North London Railway in a wide loop to its terminus on Chiswich High Road. Since it's closure to passengers in 1917 (it was that hopeless) it had been a goods yard mainly for domestic  coal traffic. It finally closed in 1965 but, until it was cleared for new housing in the late 1970s, you could see the old station site quite clearly from west bound District Line trains.  

The train is only seen moving for a couple of minutes near the start of the film that should probably have been titled "Slight fear on eleven wagons standing very still on a siding". When it came to bombs and trains this week's NCIS Los Angeles episode had far more to offer.

In the course of looking for a location reference for this I found a rather useful site  http://www.railserve.com/trainmovies/  which includes location info. for a good number of movies based around trains and railways.

Edited by Pacific231G

Don't think covered this already, but the end scene for 'Lucky Jim' 1957 Film from the Kingsley Amis book shows Ian Carmichael rushing to an ex GW station but I have never known it to be identified!!?

Anyone know

Mike

The other Sunday BBC2 showed "School for Scoundrels" which features a Great Eastern terminus pretending to be "Yeovil".  Some Great Eastern kettle tank drags in some Gresley non-corridors and Ian Carmichael descends to attend Alistair Sim's school for lifemanship, wandering unchallenged across the goods yard in the process without a high viz or a track induction course beforehand, all very naughty.  Also featured two LT RT buses, some nice 1930s architecture and a lot of 1950s classic cars, so something for every nerd in the family.

Just caught a re-run of Columbo.  It was a bonus to get a "new" one, well new for us...

It was "Any Old Port In A Storm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo_%28season_3%29 (Season 3, Episode 2) from 1973.

Donald Pleasence is a vinyard owner who kills his half-brother when he reveals he's about to sell the land to a large company only interested in cheap, mass produced wine, rather than the high quality wine that he produces.

I'll not reveal how he catches him, but in one scene Columbo leaves the winery and walks along outside. In the background is a line in the ground which I thought looked like a rail.  As the camera pans out it is indeed a railway track, and as Coumbo turns round to ask his "just one more thing" it is seen to be a curving rail track leaving the yard.

It may have been just the camera angle but it seemed to be broad gauge.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Columbo (looking at his notebook) - "My handwriting is so bad sometimes I think I should've been a doctor."

Re-sizing the picture from 4:3 to 16:9 for widescreen would explain the "broad gauge".  If I'd watched it on ITV3-HD, it would still be standard gauge ...

Another Columbo today, "Identity Crisis" (with Leslie Nielsen & Patrick McGoohan, Season 5 episode 3 from November 1975) features a scene at Travel Town Museum, Griffith Park, LA with Columbo and the Director of the CIA on the footplate of (I think) Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe #664.  Seemed to be no fittings on the backhead at all.

Managed to get some screen shots of Ghost Ship. I don't know where it was filmed except on the south coast so If anyone can identify the location let us know.  I think the station name is a made up one. These do give a glimpse that in 1952 they were still in the transition between the big four and British Railways, signs in SOUTHERN as well as the sunshine lettering on the EMU's and British Railways posters.

I've got more screen grabs if anyone wants to see them I can email them.

post-5014-0-56713100-1394965727.jpg

post-5014-0-81402300-1394965751.jpg

post-5014-0-34015600-1394965773.jpg

post-5014-0-13002700-1394965842.jpg

post-5014-0-00351400-1394965875.jpg

post-5014-0-81257200-1394965908.jpg

• Like 1

The SR totem reads "Fishersgate", which is a real station between Brighton and Worthing. The footbridge matches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishersgate_railway_station

Pete

The grid pylons in the background are a good clue as well. There is a large substation on the northern side of the railway just beyond the western ends of the platforms at Fishersgate with a large pylon about 100 metres from the platform end. This would be to take power from Shoreham Power Station just to the south and also presumably to provide one of Brighton And Hove's connections to the national grid. I think there are now only two rather than three sets of pylons heading north from Fishersgate.