Railway footage in feature films and television...

I assume that after the first scene we are on the Bluebell.

I'm guessing this is Horsted Keynes (as the presumably fictional "Duncan Park") with the London Brighton & South Coast Railway Class E4 0-6-2T 473, "Birch Grove" pulling into the station.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Correct.. :ok:

• Like 1

This commerical (Intel Ultrabook Convertible) has been getting a lot of airplay on TV in the US lately.

Have you seen the advert (certainly shown on the East Coast but quite rare) for a patent anti-anxiety medication (I've never caught the name or if I did I've forgotten it) that shows Liverpool Street station in London circa 1997, or thereabouts?

Best, Pete.

Not so much footage but worthy of note.

In a recent rerun of NCIS episode 'Reveille' (season 1 episode 23) David McCallum is taken hostage by a suspect terrorist. He is asked by they call him Ducky? His answer is because his name is Dr Mallard. The, obviously educated terrorist then gives dialogue on the LNER pacific class, argueing the case that a German loco was actually faster.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

Some time back in the 1970s there was a kids drama series screened in the early evening on, IIRC, ITV, about a preserved railway. It was, if memory serves, shot on a just about to open or possibly newly opened West Somerset Railway. I can't, however, remember the name of the series. Even my ~9 year old self thought it was pretty dire and I don't think it made it to either a second series or even repeats of the first one.

Have you seen the advert (certainly shown on the East Coast but quite rare) for a patent anti-anxiety medication (I've never caught the name or if I did I've forgotten it) that shows Liverpool Street station in London circa 1997, or thereabouts?

Pete, perhaps, but I can't think of it. I expect the pharmaceutical commercials go national. How long ago was it on TV?

• RMweb Premium

The new Debenhams Christmas advert seems to feature the usual chocolate box twee festive snow laden nonsense and a rather perculiar journey as lady at centre of 'story' is seen ascending the steps of the main entrance at Waterloo, boarding Mk1 charter stock in crimson/cream at what appears possibly to be Marylebone before said train passes by camera over a bridge south of London Bridge!! Later in same advert (various lengths and versions seem to be doing the rounds though) the same train is seen in the snowy background amidst layers of CGI whereupon it is now only four coaches long and gained another Class 67 on the tail end!!

You ain't seen nothing!

There's a program on the History Channel over here about John D. Rockefeller and Cornelius Vanderbilt that switched to one of Vanderbilts trains and it was a Castle (I think - it was swathed in steam) hauling a train of Mark 1's in blood and custard through England!

Best, Pete.

Some time back in the 1970s there was a kids drama series screened in the early evening on, IIRC, ITV, about a preserved railway. It was, if memory serves, shot on a just about to open or possibly newly opened West Somerset Railway. I can't, however, remember the name of the series. Even my ~9 year old self thought it was pretty dire and I don't think it made it to either a second series or even repeats of the first one.

That was the Flockton Flyer, and if you look closely, you will see a fairly well known RMwebber in one of the episodes :)

Edited by Pugsley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In a recent rerun of NCIS episode 'Reveille' (season 1 episode 23) David McCallum is taken hostage by a suspect terrorist. He is asked by they call him Ducky? His answer is because his name is Dr Mallard. The, obviously educated terrorist then gives dialogue on the LNER pacific class, argueing the case that a German loco was actually faster.

He also has what looks like a Hornby OO model of a Mallard on his desk!

An episode of Wycliffe was filmed at Wendford Clay Dries, with several shots in various locations within the works and around the road entrance. I forget if the Class 08 and clay wagons that was on site was actually in the show or if I just remember them being there when it was filmed.

The earlier mentioned Yes Minister featuring the Deltic and Mk1 sleepers is visual only, the sound effects of the Deltic departing seem to be from a Class 101 DMU!

101 Dalmations with Glenn Close presumably features some sort of train at St Pancras, as they filmed extensively one weekend. Unfortunately for London & Continental they chose to allow them access on a weekend when Thameslink was shut and everything was in and out of St Pancras with buses onwards. Trying to guide train loads of passengers through a concourse with thousands of cables and fake snow everywhere was something of a challenge, but I never saw the film to see what they did with the footage.

• Like 1

You ain't seen nothing!

There's a program on the History Channel over here about John D. Rockefeller and Cornelius Vanderbilt that switched to one of Vanderbilts trains and it was a Castle (I think - it was swathed in steam) hauling a train of Mark 1's in blood and custard through England!

It's History Channel's "The Men Who Built America".

EDITED

I ended up watching all the "Men Who Built America episodes on VOD.

The first episode, "A new era begins", on Cornelius Vanderbilt (of the NY Central) and Andrew Carnegie featured more of the collection of 'stock' railway clips than the others. Virtually all the train clips were very short - no more than five or ten seconds or so.

There were frequent clips of 2-6-0 K1 No. 62005 hauling "The Jacobite" - very clearly with number and the train nameboard.

gives an excellent idea of what the clips looked like.

There were frequent clips of what looked like it might have been a 76xxx 2-6-0 4MT tender locomotive in glossy black (76079?) or perhaps a 78xxx (78019 or 78022?). I'm not sure.

In the second episode featuring Andrew Carnegie, a big ex-LMSR 4-6-0 (45503? I didn't note specifically that it was a Patriot with smoke deflectors) appeared in b&w footage, along with what might have been a Castle in the next scene. In the fourth episode, "When one ends" additional archival b&w footage of what looked to me like a ex-LNER A3 (60042?) in front of a station signboard saying "Brackley Central".

Seeing these clearly British locomotives in a 'documentary' about 19th century American industrialists was really incongruous. I think the editors were OK with any black locomotive in steam in the countryside.

In a similar History channel type production, (History of the World in two hours or some such thing) there was a quick scene of a train (no more than a few seconds) where I was so surprised, I didn't have time to pay attention to properly recognize it. My recollection is that it was a GWR green coppertop - perhaps City of Truro or the Dukedog (suitably Victorian looking).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

I seem to recall that the original Hitchcock version of the '39 Steps' has a very brief shot of a North British 'Atlantic' entering the Forth Bridge. Haven't seen it for ages though, and, to go off topic, it is a great pity- nay a travesty- that 'Midlothian' wasn't preserved in 1939. The second '39 Steps' starring Kenneth More has some great shots of Edinburgh Waverley in the 50's, complete with station announcer, and of course the A4 (60011?) on the Bridge, with the ferries passing below.

There was also a BBC tv series a few years ago (probably only for viewers in Scotland, as they say) which heavily featured Caley 55189 and NBR 'Maude', as 65243, of the SRPS with authentic period freight and passenger stock. It was set in Glasgow, but was shot I think in Greenock, and also had several shots of preserved Bristol Lodekkas and Leyland rear entrance double deckers in authentic Western SMT livery for the street scenes,

• RMweb Premium

That was the Flockton Flyer, and if you look closely, you will see a fairly well known RMwebber in one of the episodes :)

for some reason, i can still remember the theme tune to this (and i've not even looked it up on YaTube) - GW 0-6-0 pannier tank i think, cos my pal had one at the time and i recognised it

Edited by keefer

At 28 minutes into Episode 2 of the Ken Burns series on Jazz being aired on PBS, there is a superb sequence from the footbridge at Hatfield showing a Pacific hauled down express passing. Quite what this is doing in a piece about Louis Armstrong going to Chicago, the Lord alone knows!

I am watching the Train Robber,s on ITV1 ,dont know were they filmed the rail sequenses very mixed up footage with a shot of a Deltic running beside a motorway then a class 40 on a preserved line ,might be East Lancs.Programe tended to glorify the robbers as just bad lads who got out of hand.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!

Watched a 1968 episode of the old ITC series 'Man In A Suitcase' the other night which had a brief clip of a WR eight car Blue Pullman heading west through Saltford station on the Bath line, likely as not it was shot in 1967 at the same time as the footage for 'The Saint' was captured for the ITC library, most of which appears in one of the three 'D&E On 35mm' DVDs. This was one of two episodes to have a very young Donald Sutherland as guest star and at the start of it he's seen arriving on the lawn at Paddington from the Circle Line Underground and then boarding a mainline train on platform eight, made up of blue and grey Mk1s.... which somewhere between London and Saltford becomes the aforesaid BP! A quick cut to the next shot shows him walking down the exit ramp of a typically GWR lineside halt 'out in the country', complete with small wooden shelters - I suspect this was either the still intact Bathford Halt or Christian Malford Halt, even though both were closed back in 1965.

obviously ex-pats in these - does anyone recognise the rolling stock in the first one? the second one is a mock-up i think - i mean, c'mon spacious 2+2 seating bays which line up with the windows and a nice wide aisle :)

Hi,

I believe that the trainline adverts take place inside Chiltern Mainline's Refrubished MK3's!

I can't remember who it's for, but there is an advert where a lady is seen sitting in a MK1 carriage, quite distinctive by the window frames, which then is seen going past and it has magically turned into a First Capital Connect Class 377! After a few secounds, the lady then steps out of a Blood and Custard Mk1 again!

Simon

I seem to recall that the original Hitchcock version of the '39 Steps' has a very brief shot of a North British 'Atlantic' entering the Forth Bridge. Haven't seen it for ages though, and, to go off topic, it is a great pity- nay a travesty- that 'Midlothian' wasn't preserved in 1939. The second '39 Steps' starring Kenneth More has some great shots of Edinburgh Waverley in the 50's, complete with station announcer, and of course the A4 (60011?) on the Bridge, with the ferries passing below.

There was also a BBC tv series a few years ago (probably only for viewers in Scotland, as they say) which heavily featured Caley 55189 and NBR 'Maude', as 65243, of the SRPS with authentic period freight and passenger stock. It was set in Glasgow, but was shot I think in Greenock, and also had several shots of preserved Bristol Lodekkas and Leyland rear entrance double deckers in authentic Western SMT livery for the street scenes,

'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' I'll wager, actually set, IIRC, in Edinburgh. Glaswegians don't do posh private schools quite like those from Ediburgh!