RMweb

Railway footage in feature films and television...

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

filmed in September and October of 1978 and first broadcast on Saturday 25th November 1978.

That's a hell of a quick turnaround for something shot on film with multiple locations etc.

Very Professional!😁

• Like 3

13 hours ago, keefer said:

That's a hell of a quick turnaround for something shot on film with multiple locations etc.

Very Professional!😁

Each episode was allotted two weeks of actual filming, plus the pre and post production processes taking a few more weeks, including Laurie Johnson's recording sessions for the soundtrack, sometimes they had to extend this though and there was actually a lot of overlap between episodes, with two film units working in different locations on the same day. On many occasions Gordon Jackson would be in one place working on one episode, while Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins were elsewhere working on another one. Towards the end of series two Lewis Collins broke his ankle during a weekend parachute jump which put production back by nearly three months, upsetting the schedule somewhat! On several occasions Martin Shaw was hospitalised with injuries acquired while doing his own stunts, which also took time out of the shooting. During series one they were based at Harefield Grove in Middlesex, and during series two at Lee International Studios in Wembley, they tried to keep the locations to within fifteen miles of each, but sometimes had to go further afield, such as Dover, High Wycombe, Gerrards Cross, Marlow etc. Another fly in the ointment was the strikes affecting LWT during 1978 and 1979, which played havoc with the scheduling.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Recently myself and Mrs L have been watching the excellent BBC Miss Marple series. Plenty of rail content the 4.50 from Paddington notwithstanding. Sometimes though they are a tad confused as the films are obviously set in the early 1950, but the liveries even allowing for the fact that some locos and vehicles were slow in losing their previous identities, often show GWR markings.

Several heritage railways got used I can tell.

Simon

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2024 at 20:54, keefer said:

Very Professional!😁

Brian Clemens was used to rapid turnarounds. He'd cut his teeth working for the Danziger Brothers, who would hire the sets of recenly completed films for a week and give their writers two days in which to come up with a script to match whatever they'd rented. 

Clemens: "They'd come to me and say 'Look, we've got two weeks to shoot, so we want you to write something for these sets, and it must have the Old Bailey, a submarine and a mummy's tomb in it.' So I'd write it to order. And nobody believes that they made movies like this once, but it's absolutely true""

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting how you can divide 70s British crime/espionage series into two categories. On the one hand there's stuff like The Sweeney and Callan: tin ashtrays, Watney's Red Barrel, men in grey slacks kicking one another in the crotch. On the other there's stuff like The Professionals and Return of the Saint: onyx ashtrays, Babycham, men in double breasted Italian suits kicking one another in the crotch.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Can anybody identify the closed station at the start of this episode of 'Hunter's Walk'?

A quick search reveals the series was filmed in Rushden, Northamptonshire.

Page at disused-stations seems to match:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/rushden/index.shtml

It was on the MR Wellingborough-Higham Ferrers branch.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

32 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Interesting how you can divide 70s British crime/espionage series into two categories. On the one hand there's stuff like The Sweeney and Callan: tin ashtrays, Watney's Red Barrel, men in grey slacks kicking one another in the crotch. On the other there's stuff like The Professionals and Return of the Saint: onyx ashtrays, Babycham, men in double breasted Italian suits kicking one another in the crotch.

With a fair bit of crossover between the two, not least in the guest stars who appeared in each series, and sometimes appearing as two different characters in the same series! There was an overlap in production of The Sweeney and The Professionals of almost a year (1977 and 78) with the same writers, directors, camera men, continuity ladies, stunt men etc working on both at different times. Some of the Rover P6s used in The Sweeney reappeared in The Professionals too. The Sweeney 'base' was at Colet Court in Hammersmith and although the main base for The Professionals were in Harefield Grove and Wembley they also used Cadby Hall in Hammersmith a lot, which was formerly the HQ of J.Lyons, less than a mile away from Colet Court.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Much footage of Newcastle Central in 1976 in Barlow & Watt true crime series 'Second Verdict.' Plus Barlow somehow manages to refer to a works diagram of the exact coach in which the murder took place. Clever chap. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone watched the last two episodes of Silent Winess, no's 9 and 10.  All set around Kings Cross in a fictional museum.  Quite a few shots of trains going in and out of Kings Cross and St P and even a very basic model railway in the museum.   As a former poIIce officer there didn't seem to be much knowledge of the different roles of the BTP and the Met. However it was good entertainment and Amelia Fox is

Better looking than any of the forensic pathologists that I ever encountered. 

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Has anyone watched the last two episodes of Silent Winess, no's 9 and 10.  All set around Kings Cross in a fictional museum.  Quite a few shots of trains going in and out of Kings Cross and St P and even a very basic model railway in the museum.   As a former poIIce officer there didn't seem to be much knowledge of the different roles of the BTP and the Met. However it was good entertainment and Amelia Fox is

Better looking than any of the forensic pathologists that I ever encountered. 

Jamie

They may be better actors though..... (Mr and Mrs Northmoor are not fans of some of the Fox "dynasty").  We've only watched part 9 so far - only tuning in because of the subject matter - and an interesting story which does hint at the real history of the area.  

• Like 1

South Wales. 1973 🤦‍♀️ Once again a fine drama spoilt in the first few mins by something that didn't need to be included..........given the period detail in the vehicles has been excellent throughout.........The Steeltown Murders. BBC 2023  20240222_211015.jpg.8aaa6e543d14e112518667e2bae58c35.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I know it’s the wrong loco and livery for 1973 but the BR logo is also reversed on the loco…

Cheers

Darius

Exactly! Insult to injury! (my wife just shook her head when I pointed it out......metaphorical face-palm) 

Regards

Guy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, balders said:

South Wales. 1973 🤦‍♀️ Once again a fine drama spoilt in the first few mins by something that didn't need to be included..........given the period detail in the vehicles has been excellent throughout.........The Steeltown Murders. BBC 2023  20240222_211015.jpg.8aaa6e543d14e112518667e2bae58c35.jpg

Those printed flat terraced houses don't look much cop either, although they've made a half decent fist of converting the Minix Triumph 2000.

Mike,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Those printed flat terraced houses don't look much cop either, although they've made a half decent fist of converting the Minix Triumph 2000.

Mike,

It's actually a Triumph 1500 and while there is definitely some CGI going on, I think the actual location used is real and is Lower West End Street in Margam.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

It's actually a Triumph 1500 and while there is definitely some CGI going on, I think the actual location used is real and is Lower West End Street in Margam.

Quite weird how the Google streetview vehicle only went just beyond the railway bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5856068,-3.7738906,3a,75y,277.8h,71.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szGe0vgmJm-LGtnGVGSZzFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

Driving on the right as well! 

I've just zoomed in on it and the car IS right hand drive with the Reg plate the right way round as is the Low Bridge Sign so it's only the BR logo  that is wrong. I'm guessing that it's been painted up to conceal its current ownership but the picutre was sharp enough to enable the loco's number to be made out. 

The disjunction in StreetView is odd unless the camera was too high to go under the bridge. There's no indication that the streets around lower West End are residents only if accessed from Central Road via the low bridge- though the StreeView vehice obviously didn't go down them (local hostility to it ?)  but the access from Harbour Way is residents only - presumably to stop it from being a rat run? 

• Like 3

If you go to the other side of the bridge there are "no through road" signs just before the bridge. So though no signs as at the other end its clear they don't want people driving through. I suspect the Google Street view car drivers have a map of the route they have to stick to and any restrictions like this will be marked. Looking at the street view "view" at the bridge end he seems to have done a three point turn judging by those little arrows!

• Like 1