Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

Hi Jack

Now that I have some short easi-shunt couplings I can share my experience.

A combination of short/medium will work for GF MK1s but they will not couple as close as a combination of standard short/medium NEM couplings. You might have to fit the end doors on one of the coaches to bridge the gap (blu-tack them).

A short;short combination looks great but the couplings are then under constant tension so will neither uncouple or couple automatically (pointless).

Hope this helps

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Please ignore my comments about the short/short combination, further testing has shown that this combination will give a fully operational and satisfactory close coupling.

Peter

Hi Peter, I'm having a mess about with some packs of shorts and longs that I got at the weekend, plus a pack of mediums from a few months back. I found the short-short combo on a pair of BGs to be 'too tight to mention', so I've opted for a short-medium and that works a treat, although short-short would look just a touch better I'm prepared to accept the small gap as it works well and still looks very reasonable.

I've also fitted some to a farish S+T Toad brake which I've had to add some weight and a little peice of spongey carpet underlay under one axle to give it a bit of drag and stop it running off, this also massively improves coupling and uncoupling.

Does anyone know if Dapol will continue to manufacture the 'medium' couplers, as they still have an old cat no., the small and mediums I see being most useful for the "serious" :triniti: modellers, and the longs for the 9" curve :jester: users. (Controversial - if no one bites I'll be dissapointed). I bought a 5 pair multipack of longs on spec, but I'm rapidly realising I won't need them... Anyone want to swap for some mediums or shorts?!

Cheers, Benn.

Edited by Benn

Hi Ben,

All 3 lengths of couplers will be permanently in the Dapol range.

The 'mediums' have an old product number simply because after we released them we changed the way we do product numbers.

We may change the medium product code at the end of 2013 when. The next catalogue comes out.

Hope his helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

All 3 lengths of couplers will be permanently in the Dapol range.

The 'mediums' have an old product number simply because after we released them we changed the way we do product numbers.

Fantastic, cheers Dave.

Having seen the conversion packs I am very tempted to take the plunge. I suspect for my diesel era stuff it will be simplest (nad cheaper) to put a magnetic coupler on the end of each rake (or split them into two) and keep the rapidos for in between. However before I dive in I have two daft - one very daft - questions for those who have used them.

Firstly what happens if you simply drive over the magnet without stopping and backing up? Does stock stay coupled up? I've a situation where there's a run round loop which some trains will shunt but others just pass through.

Secondly, the really daft one. Can you still couple/uncouple by hand if needed? Do I need to fill my fiddle yard with magnets, and what if I play with my stock on someone elses layout?

Thanks for humouring me.....!

Firstly what happens if you simply drive over the magnet without stopping and backing up? Does stock stay coupled up? I've a situation where there's a run round loop which some trains will shunt but others just pass through.

Uncoupling only occurs when there is a bit of slack between vehicles. If there is tension (such as when a train is running), it is enough to prevent accidental uncoupling.

Secondly, the really daft one. Can you still couple/uncouple by hand if needed? Do I need to fill my fiddle yard with magnets, and what if I play with my stock on someone elses layout?

Yes. The coupling attaches horizontally meaning you can simply lift a vehicle out of it's rake by hand without disturbing the others. Not sure how easy it is to uncouple manually without lifting the vehicles. Maybe a job for a cocktail stick or mini-scredriver but I have not tried that.

Thanks guys, just the advice I needed. Think I'm ready to dip my toe in the world of auto-uncoupling so a trip to my local model shop this lunchtime might be in order. I'll get a couple of magnets from the Squires stand at Warley so I can experiment with Karhedrons method.

Thanks

However it should fit most stock (even if you have to recalibrate it slightly for longer or shorter arm couplers etc) for both freight and coach, as long as you use them body mounted, as we havnt designed these to be bogie mounted at all.

Hi Dave,

Do you mean the conversion kit work on bogie stock by removing the coupler from the bogie and then fitting the new pocket to the underside of the body?

I have a fair number of B-set coaches and early-run collett coaches I would like to convert. Alternatively, can I get hold of the newer collett bogies which do include the NEM pockets? Have you ever done B-set bogies with NEM pockets?

Edited by Karhedron

Hi Matt,

At present our conversion kit isnt designed for bogie mounting the NEM couplers, which i know, will be problematical for some.

I havnt had a play with body mounting the couplers to B sets but in theory it 'should' work if theres clearance.

And no, no NEM's on B set bogies i'm afraid.

cheers

Dave

Presumably that means that it won't work on the trailing/pony trucks of steam engines either? That's a bit of a shame as it rules out a whole host of my locos and coaches. I had dreams of my 45xx running round it's B-set in my station. Looks like I'm stuck with the rapidos.

Realistically for me any system has to have the possibility of converting most stock, it just wouldn't work to have two seperate systems. It's a pity that even some stock I've brought in the last couple of years doesn't have NEM pockets and can't be converted

Hi confused,

Apologies for no reply, as you can imagine with Warley coming up, things have been a bit frenetic.

Nope, they shouldn't be like this, and I can't guarantee they will work, so please send them back to me at Dapol and I'll replace them for you immediately.

Cheers

Dave

Hold the pin with a pair of tweezers and gently rotate it, it should move easily enough to the correct position, and it's sometimes worth a little play about and ajdustment sesh to get them to operate that little bit better. I've found a reasonable improvement in operation and reliabilty can occur by putting a little 'drag' on one axle of each vehicle that has the couplings attached, I've used some spongey laminte flooring underlay and just sandwiched it between the centre of the axle and the top of the bogie moulding, and stuck it on with a bit of bostik. The vehicle now doesn't roll away or move when being coupled/uncoupled, and also remains tensioned to the loco when being hauled so when passing over the magnets it doesn't auto-uncouple when you don't want 'em to!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone on here know what the lengths of the orginal Dapol NEM dummy knuckle couplers are, ie, short, standard and long?

Not even sure there is standard one as they only seem to sell Long and Short as spare parts in pack of 10, 5 of each.