Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...

What ever happened to the NEM conversion packs? The instruction sheet for them was posted on the Dapol website some time ago, implying they were ready, or at least finalized. However, I haven't heard anything of them since, and they're not on the latest Dapol January products adverts. I can't even seem to find them for pre-order with the major box-shifters ... 

Sounds like a lot of money unless you get a lot in a packet or is it the pocket AND a coupling?

Hope the pockets are available seperately because I want to use them to explore NEM converting TT stock (and thus using a mix of magnetic and non-magnetic couplers on TT stock ). Continental TT also uses N-gauge NEM as it's standard pocket so the concept should work, just need lots of pockets!!!

I'm pretty sure it was ten pairs (ie 20 pockets enough to convert 10 wagons). Also includes a jig to get the height and alignment right.

IIRC it's just a conversion pack to make a NEM pocket. You then fit what ever couplers inside you want, and can always put rapidos back in if you want to sell the stock etc

It's worth bearing mind that you don't need to convert all of your stock either, just the wagons that you're likely to want to uncouple, so if you run fixed rakes you can put Easi-shunt couplings at the outer ends and leave the Rapidos "in" the rake.

• Like 1

What ever happened to the NEM conversion packs? The instruction sheet for them was posted on the Dapol website some time ago, implying they were ready, or at least finalized. However, I haven't heard anything of them since, and they're not on the latest Dapol January products adverts. I can't even seem to find them for pre-order with the major box-shifters ... 

I've got one.

It has six sockets (two parts - inner and outer - each), six variable thickness shims and a gauge to check height and trip pin angle is correct, plus full instructions.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

There are two separate packs.  One is the convertor pack, which includes the components and jigs.

Also available are packs that just include the coupler socket parts, enough for 10 wagons, so that you don't need to keep buying the jigs.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Been playing with a pack of these couplings (not the conversion pack) and I appear to have a coupling with a stiff knuckle. The result of this is that it holds its position as the spring is not able to overcome this stickiness. I've replaced the spring but this has not resolved the problem. Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution or is it a case of pop it back to the shop for a replacement?

• RMweb Gold

Not had any stiff couplers. Had plenty with the springs popping out but nowadays I add a bit of canopy glue to one end of the spring.

I was sitting at home last night doing this to a pack of them. have to be careful not to get too much glue on the psring otherwise they will become stiff.

Been playing with a pack of these couplings (not the conversion pack) and I appear to have a coupling with a stiff knuckle. The result of this is that it holds its position as the spring is not able to overcome this stickiness. I've replaced the spring but this has not resolved the problem. Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution or is it a case of pop it back to the shop for a replacement?

probably got a bit of mold flash somewhere on the coupling gumming up the works, time to get out the scalpel/wetndry and the microscope...

• RMweb Premium

probably got a bit of mold flash somewhere on the coupling gumming up the works, time to get out the scalpel/wetndry and the microscope...

I suspect that this is just what is causing the issue, can't see anything with the magnifying glass but it might be in the hidden areas.

• RMweb Premium

Will they work with SEEP electro magnets ? I have bought 4 of these for fitting to a new layout as yet in basic planning stage.

It won't work.

The couplings are parted using both the North and South poles of the magnet. This pushes the jaws in opposite directions. If you only had either a North or a South pole showing both jaws would try to go in the same direction (in the case of one it would not move) and uncoupling would not occur.

To use an electromagnet you would need one developed for the Microtrains system.

Does one exist?

Les

Yes, Les, one does indeed exist - It's the Kadee 309 Magne-electric uncoupler. Designed for both HO and N scale it's not cheap, (£12 - ish), nor is it the easiest of beasts to fit and needs a beefy 2-3 amp 12v dc power supply, but it does work well and prevents unwanted uncoupling when passing over permanent magnet uncouplers.

HC

• 2 weeks later...

Evening!

Does anyone know of a cheaper option for Dapol's magnets? I reckon i'm going to need 15 altogether and £40 seems a lot for magnets! I'm not bothered about the look of them and don't need to hide them particularly- just being tight and trying to save a few quid towards the dozens of couplings i'll need!

Thanks in advance,

Ian B

I used some rare earth magnets which can be bought from eBay very cheaply. Check out my earlier posts on this thread for how to install them and make sure they work properly.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48728-Dapol-easi-shunt-magnetic-couplings-in-n/?p=569182

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48728-Dapol-easi-shunt-magnetic-couplings-in-n/?p=570075

Bear in mind that they support delayed uncoupling so you should not need as many magnets as that. One magnet can serve a fan of sidings.

Thanks for that! 

My estimate if based on using these to cover my fan of sidings but unfortunately 4 terminus platforms, catering for the odd double-header pushes up the numbers a bit! Also, I don't want to stop half-way across a junction to perform a shuffle if I can avoid it! Must be the signaller instinct coming out!!!

Ian B