Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

Very inspirational work :sungum:

I have just started out in the world of O and am amazed how much detail you have in the space permitted, top work.

You attention to detail is absolutely amazing :yes:

This will be one to keep an eye on.

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

I’ve made a bit more progress by finishing most of the scenic work on the middle board, including my first attempts at scratchbuilding structures with two low-relief warehouses and a small ‘lean-to’ office (with scratchbuilt windows and door!). The warehouses were built with embossed brick sheets and Wills 4mm corrugated sheets which, to me anyway, don’t look too under scale in 7mm. I now need to detail everything, including getting some 7mm gutters and all the small detail that goes with a semi-industrial location. I also need to tidy up a few things.

Looking towards the buffer stops and ‘the end of the line’ (centre track).

post-1610-0-59439400-1326923238_thumb.jpg

I put a low access tunnel between the retaining wall and the warehouse. It needs weathering and a bit more vegetation on top but I wanted to separate the two main features. Not sure yet whether it works.

post-1610-0-70892000-1326923288_thumb.jpg

The two warehouses and the office.

post-1610-0-50549700-1326923344_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the two warehouses.

post-1610-0-69720200-1326923387_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the large warehouse.

post-1610-0-27768700-1326923433_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've been following your progress for a while - the quality of your work is top notch.

The corrugated sheet looks pretty good to me. I really like the distressed colour of it.

Regards,

James

Does the tunnel serve a purpose in real life? There appears to be not enough above it to justify building a covered tunnel, it probably would have been a cutting. Putting it next to brick walls that float between two areas of grass is a problem to me as well. Perhaps extending the warehouses along instead of the brick walls? Your building standards are superb so any extension will really look the part.

Otherwise - this layout deserves five Razzahs! :good_mini: :clapping_mini: :good_mini: :clapping_mini: :good_mini:

I like the weathering on the warehouses, but would a corrugated iron structure have a brick lean-to? The other way round would be no problem but, to me, this looks odd and might be better finished in corrugated iron to match the rest of the building.

Butt the brick shed up against the brick base of the warehouse?

I know now what is missing - doors into the warehouses! Maybe make the tunnel an entrance into a building?

Nothing like having a forum design your layout for you! :D But keep going - this is fun!

Does the tunnel serve a purpose in real life? There appears to be not enough above it to justify building a covered tunnel, it probably would have been a cutting. Putting it next to brick walls that float between two areas of grass is a problem to me as well. Perhaps extending the warehouses along instead of the brick walls? Your building standards are superb so any extension will really look the part.

Otherwise - this layout deserves five Razzahs! :good_mini: :clapping_mini: :good_mini: :clapping_mini: :good_mini:

I like the weathering on the warehouses, but would a corrugated iron structure have a brick lean-to? The other way round would be no problem but, to me, this looks odd and might be better finished in corrugated iron to match the rest of the building.

Butt the brick shed up against the brick base of the warehouse?

I know now what is missing - doors into the warehouses! Maybe make the tunnel an entrance into a building?

Nothing like having a forum design your layout for you! :D But keep going - this is fun!

Thanks Ian. I'm delighted the forum is helping me design the layout - all suggestions very welcome!

You're right about the tunnel. I put it in to separate the retaining wall and the low-relief warehouse. I didn't put doors into the warehouse - it's not intended to be a loading area as it is alongside a turnout. I've assumed doors would be on the other side or accessed from the tunnel.

My problem is that I'm quite limited on space and the width of the layout at the left hand end (where there are three tracks) meant that the retaining wall was the only option so I could still put a road next to the siding. Putting the warehouse right next to the retaining wall didn't seem right hence the tunnel. Can anybody else think of a solution to join the retaining wall and the warehouse?

You're both right about the brick built office - I did originally put it against the brick of the left hand warehouse but you'll see from the attached photo that this is the wider of the two warehouses and I don't have space without fouling the road. You can't tell from the photos but the warehouse widens towards the right to follow the line of the track and make it less of a straight line along the backdrop. I could, of course, put the office between the retaining wall and the warehouse and dispense with the tunnel ........... ??

post-1610-0-80532100-1327074419_thumb.jpg

Stand back folks, new weathering maestro in the room! All to your usual stunningly high standard Stephen - beautifully observed and delightfully restrained :-)

D

Thanks for those kind words David. Not sure I'll be allowed to mix with the 'home-made' turnout crowd at Bristol though ........... ;-)

Warspite, your work has atmosphere. I don't know what it is, but there is something about it.

I think it's the lack of clutter, and the neutral background, coupled with the realistc modelling.

It reminds me a lot of a small diorama I once saw in Railway Modeller, which featured a triangle of narrow-gauge track, a workshop, a small lighted hut and a narow gauge loco, plus some derelict stock. The whole thing was coffee table sized.

The black and white photos purported to have been taken on a freezing January afternoon.......and you could believe it. It was real.

Your layout has the same feel. Thanks for that.

Have you thought of including some almost hidden animal life? A rabbit? A pheasant? Even a blackbird, if done carefully.

Keep up the good work.

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold
You're right about the tunnel. I put it in to separate the retaining wall and the low-relief warehouse. I didn't put doors into the warehouse - it's not intended to be a loading area as it is alongside a turnout. I've assumed doors would be on the other side or accessed from the tunnel.

My problem is that I'm quite limited on space and the width of the layout at the left hand end (where there are three tracks) meant that the retaining wall was the only option so I could still put a road next to the siding. Putting the warehouse right next to the retaining wall didn't seem right hence the tunnel. Can anybody else think of a solution to join the retaining wall and the warehouse?

You could put some doors on it so it represented some kind of underground facility, either storage or a garage of some kind?

- some sort of reason for it being needing to be covered over ?

Not sure I'll be allowed to mix with the 'home-made' turnout crowd at Bristol though ........... ;-)

If you don't there's a good chance the 'track pack' will hunt you down and taunt you with a variety of reasonably-priced snacks until you give in and give us an impromptu master-class on scenics and weathering... ;-)

D

The wall as it is does not terminate on the right hand side properly because the slope of the grass down from the wall to the end of the warehouse. This not entirely convincing to me as I am still struggling to find a reason for the wall being there in the first place (other than as a backscene).

I would suggest

1. A short wall coming forward from the right hand end of the brick wall and made of broken bricks to suggest that there was a bigger building there once and has now been demolished.

2a. Extend the warehouse or move it across to the end of the brick wall.

2b. Build a short connection between the warehouse and the end of the brick wall and insert a set of steel roller doors into it implying an entry from the existing road into a much bigger building beyond. This would need to be higher than the grass above the brick wall though.

If you go with suggestion 2b then there is a purpose to the road across the tracks. If you use suggestion 1 then the wall has more purpose and reason for being there.

Just thought of this while having a quick coffee as a break from butchering Peco SL100 track into something remotely narrow gauge!

But keep up the good work - enjoying watching this thread.

I'm more than a little reluctant to suggest anything seeing the amount of work you've put into this already Stephen (and how good it looks). But if you're asking, how about... keep the bridge, have the retaining wall return to the backscene (hopefully involves the least reconstruction?), then create a concrete apron with railings or spear-fencing across front area twixt the warehouse and retaining wall return on which assorted 'clutter' of the type which tends to get shoved out the back of any such industrial building could be placed to fill the gap? As an alternative to 'clutter' a couple of storage tanks gravity feeding something on the ground level floor of the warehouse? The impression would then be of the hillside which required the retaining wall to the left reducing to the point at which warehouse could be built into the side of it on two levels?

To be honest there are always going to be visual compromises on a minimum space layout. The overall feel and atmosphere you've created is so convincing that I didn't even question the treatment of this little area visually 'till it was pointed out.

D

You could put some doors on it so it represented some kind of underground facility, either storage or a garage of some kind?

- some sort of reason for it being needing to be covered over ?

2b. Build a short connection between the warehouse and the end of the brick wall and insert a set of steel roller doors into it implying an entry from the existing road into a much bigger building beyond. This would need to be higher than the grass above the brick wall though.

If you go with suggestion 2b then there is a purpose to the road across the tracks.

But if you're asking, how about... keep the bridge, have the retaining wall return to the backscene (hopefully involves the least reconstruction?), then create a concrete apron with railings or spear-fencing across front area twixt the warehouse and retaining wall return on which assorted 'clutter' of the type which tends to get shoved out the back of any such industrial building could be placed to fill the gap? As an alternative to 'clutter' a couple of storage tanks gravity feeding something on the ground level floor of the warehouse? The impression would then be of the hillside which required the retaining wall to the left reducing to the point at which warehouse could be built into the side of it on two levels?

Russ, Ian and David

Thanks for all your suggestions - much appreciated. That's the great thing about this forum - innovative ideas to solve a problem.

I quite like both the roller doors idea and the concrete apron. I think the visual inconsistency is the sudden drop in height from the retaining wall down to the 'tunnel' and then the increase in height back up to the warehouse. Getting the retaining wall to merge into the backscene is probably the first step and then sort out the space in front - either the roller doors (within a taller structure adjacent to the warehouse) or the storage tanks. Now there's an opportunity for all sorts of interesting pipes and things! That also might help to disguise the problem of a half-relief building suspended in mid-air.

Stephen

Wow have to say that the roadway in the lastest picture looks brilliant, one could imagine falling over and getting gritty knees. I think that your observation of modelling the damp patches really makes it stand out and gives it such a life like appearance. Just goes to show the wisdom of starting out small in O gauge can focus ones mind on the all important scenic detail. Hope you are considering exhibiting this master piece.

Before I do any more to the warehouse, thought I would see how some stock looks in front of it.

post-1610-0-72923200-1327440200_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure what to do beyond the two warehouses. In my first post, I mentioned putting in a skew bridge to make the scenic break or alternatively a large building in the right foreground to hide the 'fiddle yard'/sector plate. Playing around in Photoshop, I came up with this to give me an idea of what a bridge would look like. I must emphasise that is a real bridge and real trees from a real photograph - now if only I could make trees like that! (After meeting Tony Hill at Bristol, I'm sure he could!) I thought I would do the photo in black and white to give it that early 1960s look.

post-1610-0-84166300-1327440607_thumb.jpg

Archived