Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

That's no excuse I think my one's took a couple of enjoyable hours each evening over about a week in all to build, it would be nice to see some updates.

My Slaters wagon kit is currently at 2½ years since I put the first two pieces together, and counting...

So I suppose a loco build is out of the question :sungum: .

I gave up and paid someone else to build it for me - only a little brass kit, I didn't mind messing up a £40 kit but when you've spent over £100 it just wasn't worth the risk of mucking it up. He's doing it as a favour for me inbetween other jobs so it's about 6 months with him so far. Layout progress is, shall we say, minimal at present but on a plus side I have just spent half an hour on the first phase of spraying the freight yard as documented by NSE DAZ here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46840-shaftesbury-o-gauge-nse-venture/page__st__150&do=findComment&comment=666318 and hope to finish the job over the rest of the bank holiday weekend.

I gave up and paid someone else to build it for me - only a little brass kit, I didn't mind messing up a £40 kit but when you've spent over £100 it just wasn't worth the risk of mucking it up. He's doing it as a favour for me inbetween other jobs so it's about 6 months with him so far. Layout progress is, shall we say, minimal at present but on a plus side I have just spent half an hour on the first phase of spraying the freight yard as documented by NSE DAZ here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46840-shaftesbury-o-gauge-nse-venture/page__st__150&do=findComment&comment=666318 and hope to finish the job over the rest of the bank holiday weekend.

Gets some pictures up!

Gets some pictures up!

Just laid the ballast, about to mix up some diluted PVA to stick it down... depending on what the weather decides to do today it may or may not be set but I'll certainly stick up a photo or two of the trackwork. Will probably start a new thread though for the layout proper as this is someone else's project :)

Hi Stephen,

" I keep meaning to start my Slaters ex-GWR milk tanker but time has been against me."

That's no excuse I think my one's took a couple of enjoyable hours each evening over about a week in all to build, it would be nice to see some updates.

I did do a build thread on my tankers but they are on the other site if you get my drift :declare: .

ATB,

Martyn.

Martyn

Yes, but you know what you are doing. I just keep open the box, take out the contents, look at them, go off to make a cup of coffee, come back, sigh and put everything back in the box.

Seriously though, I will get around to putting it together. Your excellent thread "on the other side" has been very helpful and a real encouragement to anybody thinking about building one of these.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the compliment but I class myself as an average modeller and the only advice I can offer is to give it a go, I think as long as you read the instructions thoroughly a couple of times and then take things slowly, things will make sense and fall into place.

ATB,

Martyn.

Just laid the ballast, about to mix up some diluted PVA to stick it down... depending on what the weather decides to do today it may or may not be set but I'll certainly stick up a photo or two of the trackwork. Will probably start a new thread though for the layout proper as this is someone else's project :)

Doesn't worry me cromptonnut! This thread enjoys going all over the place. ;)

Mind you, I would like to see your ballasted track if you can post some photos.

Stephen

I've continued in the thread I started some months back - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48600-first-dabblings-in-o-gauge-perry-street/ - a few pictures in the last post, the first few pages were initial thoughts, many of which have been abandoned into what I am now making having spent some time studying the efforts of much more experienced people on this forum. I've even picked a name for it.

Doesn't worry me cromptonnut! This thread enjoys going all over the place. ;)

Mind you, I would like to see your ballasted track if you can post some photos.

Stephen

Whoops, sorry cromptonnut. Just saw your pics on the 7mm+ section. :fool:

Looking very nice.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Superb layout Warspite, great weathering techniques, inspirational.

Hi Stephen,

I've just managed to catch up with this thread in between bouts of shade-bathing, it's so inspirational, I actually can't wait to get home and start something of my own!

Many thanks indeed for such a great thread.

John E.

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys.

A few distractions at the moment but I'm hoping to make some more progress soon.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

The dairy

I’ve now finished scratch building the dairy which acts as a view blocker for the entrance to the ‘fiddle yard’. It is very loosely based on one at Moreton in Marsh but with some fairly major changes. I scaled the dimensions from a photo of the original and kept the central part of the building but inset the left extension and changed the right hand annexe. I also added some tanks and piping to add a bit of interest. The major difference with the original is that the side facing away from the tracks in the model (i.e. facing the viewer) is the side which faces the track on the prototype. It does give me the option of placing the structure facing the track (with its back to the backscene) if I decide to move it later. The original has a very impressive chimney which I may add later providing it doesn’t dwarf the rest of the layout.

I started with a basic shell made out of 4mm foamboard.

post-1610-0-95493600-1350231577_thumb.jpg

I then added 7mm scale brick sheet. The windows were a major problem as I couldn’t find anything which resembled the large ones at Moreton. In the end, I scratch built all the windows and doors from plastic strip but I’m still not entirely happy with them.

post-1610-0-61754400-1350231611_thumb.jpg

I wanted to replicate distressed rendered brickwork – I have to say, much more distressed than the original, but based on a similar rendered building elsewhere. I subsequently toned down some of the darker patches.

post-1610-0-33713000-1350231653_thumb.jpg

I added tanks and piping (both Walthers), ladders (Ratio) and window sills and then installed the structure on the layout. Don’t ask me what the tanks and pipes do as I have absolutely no idea!

post-1610-0-52632600-1350231687_thumb.jpg

I then added grass and the footpath at the front. I took this photo as the sun was setting although the light on the windows is actually from the lights of an adjoining room!

post-1610-0-54967400-1350231732_thumb.jpg

Very nice work. I'm having a "milk depot" although perhaps a bit more modern than yours, on my layout and picked up some plasticard at the weekend. Your method of construction is similar to what I had in mind and those pictures will most likely be useful reference material. But I would be surprised if my efforts reach yours - albeit likely to take some months to get there. Mine's going to be based more on the one at Chard Junction which is mostly aluminium clad.

It just gets better and better! I agree with DLT, I have tried to get this effect and it isn't easy but you have really got it just right. If I was being a bit picky I would worry about the lintels over the windows as they don't seem to go far enough across the openings, but then that is just me. Great work , more photos needed please.

Rob

Could you explain in a bit more detail please about how you 'distressed the brickwork' as it could be a technique I could use on an outhouse or something.

Is it something as simple as using a water-based paint, then scraping off with a cocktail stick and toothbrush or similar when dry?

Thanks for the positive comments everybody. I really appreciate the encouragement.

I've never tried weathering rendered brick before. Since finishing the model, I keep noticing buildings with rendered walls and stopping and looking at the way the paintwork is distressed. I'm now getting some funny looks from passers-by!

Stephen

It just gets better and better! I agree with DLT, I have tried to get this effect and it isn't easy but you have really got it just right. If I was being a bit picky I would worry about the lintels over the windows as they don't seem to go far enough across the openings, but then that is just me. Great work , more photos needed please.

Rob

Thanks Rob

I'm sure you are right about the lintels. I seem to have a real problem with them - forgot about them altogether in the last building! It was very difficult to see any lintels in the copy of the original photograph so I guessed what they looked like. I'll see if I can replace them at some stage.

Stephen

Archived