Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

I like how you've done the track - will definitely steal that idea of the clay stuff once I get building my O gauge project - the only thing in the way at the moment is not being able to finalise the track plan but I think that could be simply that I'm trying to fit too much into too small a space.

I like how you've done the track - will definitely steal that idea of the clay stuff once I get building my O gauge project - the only thing in the way at the moment is not being able to finalise the track plan but I think that could be simply that I'm trying to fit too much into too small a space.

Thanks. I've just tried to keep everything simple and use textures and colour to give some depth in a limited space. I'm finding in O gauge that 'less is more' ........ or something like that!

That last photo should go in the Realistic Images / Modelling thread . Okay I know it's a bit of

phototrickary but it still looks superb .

Thanks Mike. I did think about putting it in that section but the definition "Image manipulation is permissible but should not misrepresent the modelling" warned me off. I didn't want to get a ticking off from the mods!

Stephen

Outstanding weathering, superb scenics and more atmosphere in a small space than some would believe possible... IMO a superbly observed modelling masterclass to rival anything produced by a certain exponent of the art who you just happened to mention you consider to be the master practitioner :-)

Now this is nice, I wish I had put warehouses at the back of St Budoc as it looks far better than my view of the Atlantic coast. Lionheart are really the the best for RTR O locos and wagons Looking forward to seeing more pic's soon. All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

It's funny really as an N gauge modeller but I've always enjoyed watching O gauge layouts being modelled and operated; the rolling stock just has so much "presence" and the backdrop so much detail...this layout to me is a prime example of both points, and I'm looking forward to further updates

David

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the very nice comments.

I haven't been able to make much progress in the last few weeks due to work, a short holiday and a rugby international in Cardiff getting in the way (!) but hope to get things moving again this weekend (SWMBO permitting!). I'll be starting to work on the right hand board with a large warehouse/industrial building/possibly dairy to hide the sector plate plus a lot more detailing in the scenery. I managed to get a few bits and pieces at the Bristol O gauge show and now have a Slaters milk tanker to build. I still need to find some industrial windows/doors for the new warehouse - any ideas or links would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I may try scratchbuilding if I keep them simple.

Finally, I do need to think of a name for the layout ........

Stephen

Hi warspite,

i gotta say it`s not the gauge but the immense detailing youve put into it that makes it cream of the crop. it gives of a busy but tranquille place set behind a small cornish/lancashire/yorkshire industrial town. As for a name and being 0 gauge the countryside feel just came out as either..

0rdale park or 0rdale sidings ?? ( pronounced awwdale )

keep up the mint work :)

Ken

(ok maybe i should make another brew and wake up lol)

Hi warspite,

i gotta say it`s not the gauge but the immense detailing youve put into it that makes it cream of the crop. it gives of a busy but tranquille place set behind a small cornish/lancashire/yorkshire industrial town. As for a name and being 0 gauge the countryside feel just came out as either..

0rdale park or 0rdale sidings ?? ( pronounced awwdale )

keep up the mint work :)

Ken

(ok maybe i should make another brew and wake up lol)

Thanks Ken.

'Ordale' has a nice Yorkshire Dales sound to it - not sure my Hymek and 74xx will quite go there! Like the idea though. Might try a West Country variant on the same theme .....

Stephen

Ian

That's brilliant. Some great sites here. I really like the MAR one - just love that big brick built industrial building. Just need to push the text through the translator!

The NG Trains and Winterley ones are very appealing and probably just right. Those Winterley etched brass sash windows ..... mmmmmm!

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Stephen

Lovely work so far. Following this one with real interest. Inspired me to get on with my own 7mm plans... ...just one question... ...the grass/greenery looks superb, my apologies if I missed it, but what did you use?

Regards

Stu

Stu

Having seen the results which others on here have achieved, I invested in a Noch Gras-Master about a year ago although I'm still learning how to get the best out of it.

I’m using Noch’s own field grass and wild grass and try to blend the colours with different applications of the Gras-Master. I tend to use the more subtle colours (beiges, browns and light greens) rather than the brighter green colours which I find are a bit too vivid.

After I’m satisfied with the static grass, I spread some Woodlands Scenic fine turf to vary the texture of the ground cover. Again, I use subtle colours such as ‘earth’, ‘yellow grass’ and ‘burnt grass’. Finally, at the fringes of the vegetation, particularly on the road verges and the edges of the track, I add some sieved grit to get that rather neglected feel. Glad you like it!

Stephen

post-1610-0-21935600-1330181498_thumb.jpg

Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I like the blending of colours you use for the veg. I think you see too many decent scenery let down by the use of greens with too much 'blue' in them. Veg seems to work scaled down with more yellow and brown tinges.

Regards

Stu

Archived