Lincoln Central Station

arff999

Ok final picture for tonight i have saved the best till last,

I met Howard a few weeks ago at the show at Spalding where he was demonstrating his model making skills, And on his table was the start to my station main building bear in mind it's a start as it's going to be huge when finished well over 1.5 meters long and will look awesome.

post-4624-0-58679100-1449182962.jpg

• Like 11

Hi there.

Very nice indeed mate. Your quite good at this making buildings lark aren't you?? :yes:

Regards Lez.Z

Hi Lez 

Most of the buildings i'm afraid i can't take credit for,  there made by Howard Leader, all i do is fit them to the model and sort out the electric for the lights.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lez 

Most of the buildings i'm afraid i can't take credit for,  there made by Howard Leader, all i do is fit them to the model and sort out the electric for the lights.

Well mate I hope you keep him well fed and water'd. The man's an absolute wizard!!!  :) 

Regards Lez.Z.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That last photo in post 401 - I know that spot well enough, having waited there for the Sheffield Pacer often enough! 

I like the strip lights with the name on them - how did you make them? 

Ok final picture for tonight i have saved the best till last,

I met Howard a few weeks ago at the show at Spalding where he was demonstrating his model making skills, And on his table was the start to my station main building bear in mind it's a start as it's going to be huge when finished well over 1.5 meters long and will look awesome.

attachicon.gif20151114_110756_resized.jpg

Wow!

I met Howard at the Spalding show and a wonderful chap he is. Only too pleased to talk through what he was doing with this and a number of other projects and a most enjoyable chat it was. The pics barely do these buildings the justice they deserve, you really have to see them to fully appreciate the craftsmanship which goes into every aspect of them.

• Like 1

That last photo in post 401 - I know that spot well enough, having waited there for the Sheffield Pacer often enough! 

I like the strip lights with the name on them - how did you make them? 

Hi Welly 

there made from a bit off 7 mm copper clad sleeper gapped down the middle long ways then 6 nano leds are fitted across the gap making sure to keep the correct polarity, two small holes are made 5mm from either end fitted with a piece of transformer wire to simulate the hanging conduit they also carry the electric,these inturn are fitted to a copper strip tape on the roof via a 1k resistor. the lens is is a clear plastic rectangular bar hollowed out with a dremel to take the leds,

the name tale were made at a printers on clear back ground 

hope this helps 

john 

Very impressed with the GN hotel model-I enclose an odd angle view that may be of assistance.  Additionally, I wondered when the butcher's was replaced by Blaze Allott's bakery-I assumed that the bakery was there from the late fifties.

Great modelling-keep it up!

post-19381-0-51838100-1449454553.jpg

post-19381-0-79280000-1449454620_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just a quick one to night

Firstly a Happy new year to you all and thank you for following blog

A couple of thing happening now and a few shows booked one being Wigan very pleased to have been invited to this show been a few times as a punter had a great time so please come along and see us and have a chat

As I said in previous pages I had decided to redo the base boards for various reasons, I now have these made up in dry form and ready to be glue and pinned before being fitted to the stand/trollies. just awaiting the 25mm Styrofoam to come so it can be fitted.

The original boards have been removed and stored safely just incase there needed for a show, if I don't get as much completed on the new ones as planned.

​so were all systems go now so watch this space as they say

The station building is progressing well those who attended the Spalding show may have seen Howard who had it on display there, and I understand it was very well received but more progress has been made since then I will update later this week with some pictures.

The final running session before we took it apart was at the Digitrains open day just before xmas and was well attended, myself and Carl ran the layout from around 1030am until around 1900pm were it performed faultlessly, we had a great deal of interest in it from the visiting public  which was rather nice.

We hope to start the rebuild in the next few weeks so if your in Digitrains and were there please say hello and have a chat.

That's all for tonight as I sad before ill up date the station build with some picture later this week,

​Regards  

John

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi

As this year come to an end in the next week or so I thought id better do an update as I've not been on for a while  but a lot has ben completed 

where do we start 

I guess where we let off well the new boards where built and fitted with the high density boards and then fitted to the metal carrying frames and then joined together to make sure they fitted as planned ( and they did pheww).

Then a few changes from last time I have left a small 1 inch area at the back to allow the back scene to be fitted at a later date then the track and platform areas were covered in cork stuck down with contact adhesive up to where the road would be fitted, (Again some thing new)  the road way has been made out of 3mm beach ply laser cut to my specification so as it runs where I need it to, this took a lot of time to get right, and also doing the drawing for the cutter, once done and  fitted I was happy with the out come,. it was not cheap but will make the next stage of construction a lot faster and easier.

Next the track was all laid out then test fitted once we were happy the holes for the points were drilled and the track glued down to the cork bed, the point motors then had to be modified to allow for the extra thickness of the cork and high density board, we changed the metal rods for longer and stronger ones these are all tested as and when fitted,

All of the platforms are now fitted and most have tops on, these again are a new thing the all made from laser cut kits and when finished are really good and super light as before they were solid wood and super heavy.

platform buildings are now being fitted and the wiring has started also a lot of the station walling is in place again laser cut for weight,

the station is coming along nicely as can be seen in the picture,  

post-4624-0-09354600-1513803739.jpg

​These still more to do to it t finish it like the platform canopy on the rear and all the lighting all of the rooms like on most of the other buildings are populated and can be seen when the lighting is on.

​that's all for tonight more to follow now I have my modelling mojo back.

​John.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi

As this year come to an end in the next week or so I thought id better do an update as I've not been on for a while  but a lot has ben completed 

where do we start 

I guess where we let off well the new boards where built and fitted with the high density boards and then fitted to the metal carrying frames and then joined together to make sure they fitted as planned ( and they did pheww).

Then a few changes from last time I have left a small 1 inch area at the back to allow the back scene to be fitted at a later date then the track and platform areas were covered in cork stuck down with contact adhesive up to where the road would be fitted, (Again some thing new)  the road way has been made out of 3mm beach ply laser cut to my specification so as it runs where I need it to, this took a lot of time to get right, and also doing the drawing for the cutter, once done and  fitted I was happy with the out come,. it was not cheap but will make the next stage of construction a lot faster and easier.

Next the track was all laid out then test fitted once we were happy the holes for the points were drilled and the track glued down to the cork bed, the point motors then had to be modified to allow for the extra thickness of the cork and high density board, we changed the metal rods for longer and stronger ones these are all tested as and when fitted,

All of the platforms are now fitted and most have tops on, these again are a new thing the all made from laser cut kits and when finished are really good and super light as before they were solid wood and super heavy.

platform buildings are now being fitted and the wiring has started also a lot of the station walling is in place again laser cut for weight,

the station is coming along nicely as can be seen in the picture,  

attachicon.gifpost-8503-0-08652100-1512640692_thumb.jpg

​These still more to do to it t finish it like the platform canopy on the rear and all the lighting all of the rooms like on most of the other buildings are populated and can be seen when the lighting is on.

​that's all for tonight more to follow now I have my modelling mojo back.

​John.

Great to have this layout back, as a former resident of Market Rasen and having spent far too many hours of my youth at this station!