Railways by the seaside?

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that anyone has mentioned the last bit of the line into Penzance which is pretty much "on the beach" and has been single and double track at various times in its life.

Ed

Mentioned in post 8 but still worthy of a mention again.

Hello all,

I now have this copy of the lines around Ramsden Dock station. The station building is the long block at approx 45 Deg. above the word channel with two tracks entering from the left. To give some idea of scale, the opening into the dock basin was 100' . At one time Barrow did have direct sailings to the Americas, and is the second largest largest dock system on the west coast of England.

post-8920-0-39517200-1324056003_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

Come to think of it, the (surviving) Exmouth branch also runs along the edge of the estuary for much of its length, including 4 stations, from which you can see trains on the GWML. The Exmouth-Paignton service runs along both sides of the same estuary and is (I believe) the only service in the UK to do so...

• RMweb Gold

Come to think of it, the (surviving) Exmouth branch also runs along the edge of the estuary for much of its length, including 4 stations, from which you can see trains on the GWML. The Exmouth-Paignton service runs along both sides of the same estuary and is (I believe) the only service in the UK to do so...

No, the railway between Barrow and Millom runs along both sides of the Duddon Channel which, I believe is also tidal.

No, the railway between Barrow and Millom runs along both sides of the Duddon Channel which, I believe is also tidal.

Hello Mike,

quite right, both Kirby-in-Furness and Foxfield stations are on the high tide line. Also Foxfield has a very good (brew) pub across the road from the station.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike,

quite right, both Kirby-in-Furness and Foxfield stations are on the high tide line. Also Foxfield has a very good (brew) pub across the road from the station.

OzzyO.

And here's a view of the inland end of it (alas through a grubby 'Sprinter' window) - take quite a lot to beat this backscene I reckon

post-6859-0-77232700-1324127993_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

There is a short and popular stretch of the Sandringham line out of Melbourne beside the beach at Brighton including over the (now closed) gated crossing at New Street when all other crossings have booms.

Very political, the re-opening of that one. Jumped from being about 230th on the list of 'dangerous level crossings', to 3rd to have significant work done on.

Kevin Martin

Archived