Truncated lines - buffer stops

Still tweaking my plan and I'm wondering about continuing the line at one end on through a road bridge or level crossing as a scenic break, but having the line truncated beyond the station.

Would 'normal' buffer stops simply be bolted on at the appropriate position, or would there be a 'pole and red light' arrangement in the middle of the track with something such as a couple of sleepers chained over the rails, or some other method I haven't thought of?

Better still, any pictures of the above would be most useful.

Layout is southern-ish (ex LSWR), early 1980's, rural backwater based on no particular location, if that helps.

One that immediately springs to mind, wrong part of the world though, is Stratford Upon Avon. Fortunately, unlike many truncated routes, the station has remained unspoiled and the arrangement you describe was certainly in place for many years. Photos must exist on the www.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite what you want, but one location that comes to mind is Chessington South, which opened in 1939. The line was intended to carry on through Malden Rushett and rejoin the existing joint LSWR/LBSCR route north of Leatherhead. Hitler and the Green Belt stopped that happening, but some earthworks had been constructed, and a goods yard was created beyond the (convenient) overbridge immediately to the south of the station. In later years it became a coal depot. The station was equipped with two platforms, but the Up platform was never used by passengers. I'd certainly go with the buffer stops.

The truncated Down Slow line was in use as a headshunt for Rhyl Goods yard, hence the sleepers chained to the rails.

For those interested, the down track on which the train is running had been out of use for two days due to extensive flooding between Kinmel Bay and Abergele. 40183 was heading an Up ballast wrong line into Rhyl to test the suitability of the track for traffic on 2nd February 1983....

post-6680-0-73365200-1324307765_thumb.jpg

When the Hull & Barnsley was closed as a through line, at Wrangbrook Jct. the former Up Main was slewed into the Down line to provide an engine Release/Run Round. The stub end of the Down Main was provided with a conventional buffer stop. See attached picture, which is looking approx east to Hull. Best Wishes, Mick.

post-702-0-73296400-1324310877_thumb.jpg

.........Orrible innit.. Even worse than the days of silver painted smokebox hinges, darts and buffers.

Surprised at you Coach, as a former engineman, you must know the "Dart" is the bit inside the smokebox, the silver painted bit you ref to are the door handles. Best Wishes, Mick.

Archived