RMweb

The Model Signal box portfolio

• RMweb Gold

Felton Lane's cabin is now just about finished, some of the glazing is a bot wonky and these will be sorted sometime. Some of the paint needs touching up as well. Details of the build in my Felton Lane thread.

post-7104-0-47139100-1330248350.jpg

post-7104-0-54883400-1330248356.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 8

Here's one I made for a mate's layout about 10 years ago. Great Northern Rly, D&S etches and embosed brick for the brickwork. The "Cris Cross" handrails were cut out with a piercing saw much the same as working with metal. After picture was taken, there was an amount of extra detailing and weathering added. Mick. post-702-0-16167000-1331149012_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Mick

Thats nice and particularly intrigued by the locking room door, I mentioned to Gilbert ( Peterborough n ) on Sunday that his North box was the first Great Northern box I had constructed and the etches for the awning on your box I think are identical and had from you some time ago they look very fancy indeed.

Very nice Mick

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Here's one I built for a club layout a few years ago. It's a bit basic, with no interior and is one of the simplest of NER designs with very few embellishments on the outside. It's built from cars with Metcalfe brick, D&S windows and Wills slates.

post-7104-0-52666700-1331192768.jpg

• Like 5

post-702-0-27283000-1331209138_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-86757200-1331209163_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-64623300-1331209183_thumb.jpg

Here are a few scans of a 4mm scale GC lower quadrant signal I made quite a few years ago. The spectacle plates are "Doubled Up" to sandwich the "Glasses". I would now "Beef Up" the ladder with 0.3mm wire. We all move on with time and experiance. Mick.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Felton Lane's cabin is now just about finished, some of the glazing is a bot wonky and these will be sorted sometime. Some of the paint needs touching up as well. Details of the build in my Felton Lane thread.

Absolutely exquisite.

• Like 1

Cool thread to read through and amazed at the building / detailing you guys have, wish i had just 1% of that skill.

On the signal box thread theme thought i`d share pics of the 2 signals boxes that were in Harrogate, The brick SB is still in use today but south box went late 70`s but talk about difference in contrasts lol.

post-14408-0-59921000-1332028510_thumb.jpg

post-14408-0-87424200-1332028531_thumb.jpg

Both were at each end of the station and were the south box was, is now just full of conduit boxes.

Keep up the building skills and posting pics as is a real inspiration for the rest of us.

Cheers ken

• Like 2

Hi Yorki-pud,

thanks for sharing those photos with us, i have a model of the latter somewere in the4 duldrums in 4mm scale,i am sure you would be very capable of constructing a box like those, its just technique , careful cutting with the correct tolls etc and can be learned by the majority of folks.

i have had complete novices on my Architectural modelling courses at Hobby Holidays and you would be surprised at the results that can be achived with a little guidence.

There is a signal box build series that i have posted on the thread which should be of some help, showing a blow by blow acount of the construction.

cheers

Peter

Super pictures. Yet another Ouse Bridge box <g>

I'd forgotten there is/was more then one "Ouse Bridge", this as I'm sure you have worked out was on the H&B. For anyone seriously interested in modelling it, I have about 40 photo's, plus also a technical paper with drawings from c1885. Best Wishes, Mick.

I've just had a quick stickybeak at Google Earth looking for the site of the bridge. Is there a buoy centre stream to mark an underwater obstruction/remains of the centre bridge support?

I have not been near nor by since the mid '70's, but I reckon you are right. Best Wishes, Mick.

Interesting. Pulling of in one direction cleared the opposite also? Do the photo's you have or the technical paper give details of how the bridge is supported when open to rail? Did the centre pivot carry any load when open to rail?

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the reason for the strange numbering might be to allow the bridge to close in either direction for rail traffic and the lever will always operate the signal nearest to it (well that seems a logical explanation if nothing else). It is definitely unusual and from the details I have it didn't happen on at least some of the NER swingbridges (which had 'normal' numbering (even if they had other oddities).

Ouse Bridge H&B could originaly swing through 360o ence the dual numbering of the signals. The "Back Board" was painted on both sides but oposite way round on the reverse, depending which way the bridge was closed the board "Flipped" over to give the correct discription. Mick.