The Model Signal box portfolio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gateside Station Box, based on the prototype at Glasgow Buchanan Street, brick paper on card base with plasticard window frames and roof

6594534087_25a5cbd085_z.jpg
layout 077a by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

6594534435_450dc6d7e5_z.jpg
layout 078a by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Northbridge West Box, based on mirror image of Aberdeen South Box, again brick paper on card with microstrip window frames

7954676734_78b79d3f17_z.jpg
layout 146 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

7954677366_93d9bd1725_z.jpg
layout 147 by d9009alycidon, on Flickr

Jim

• Like 11

My earlier reply was a bit rushed after getting in from work. If i had my way i'd build something like this 12 inch to the foot scale on the railway where i'm head of S&T.. I will have to settle for something smaller i feel but rest assured an ARP style flat top box will appear somewhere if it kills me. It may just look like this in fact....with thanks to google earth.

post-4034-0-21237500-1411416724_thumb.jpg

I'd say it had a three lever ground frame inside..

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3

it has been disused since 1976 as it was replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Control inside Waverley Station

the photo of the box has been taken from Platform 2 of Edinburgh Waverley

and here is a link to more info on the box itself

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/119215/details/edinburgh+waverley+bridge+waverley+station+west+signal+box/

Edited by Danim

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Yes, it is a real place but no idea as to were, I also constructed the single road tin roofed engine shed and small brick building adjacent to it.

I constructed it for Dave Clark, who helps John Jennison on Brassmasters, he used to live by it.

It is an LNWR box on an embankment, Dave, for years scouted the length and breadth of the country for Photos of the box and only this one has turned up, so much guesswork was called for.

It has a Springsife interior kit installed and an 3v LED soft glow light.

cheers

Peter 

Trench was situated on the LNWR Wellington-Stafford line a mile or two after the junction for the Coalport branch.

At one period, at least, the resident of the loco shed was an ex-L&Y 0-4-0ST "pug" which worked the siding.

IIRC the siding closed in the mid-1930s.

Oh - and a very nice neat model.

Edited by bécasse

Hi there,

many thanks to you all for the kind comments, as mentioned, it was a tricky build re lack of info but the customer is very pleased with the results, so happy all round really, I must add that it took me a week to construct this building as much of it is guesswork, relying on past experience with these boxes to get a result.

I have put a Springside interior kit into the box and though not exact it serves to give an impression, a LED 3v light was also added for illumination and a removable roof.

a few more photos for you.

cheers

Peter

post-1241-0-62936800-1417429126_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-61740800-1417429153_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 5

As the builder of the layout "Trench Sidings" i ought to comment on The real Trench sidings, there was a small yard and a connection down to a canal basin where there were also Ironworks. The loco shed closed in the 1940,s but remained standing until the 1960,s. the yard at Trench sidings remained in use for traffic "as and when required" untill the 1960,s with one of Wellingtons Pannier tanks working the traffic. The last remaining user on the site of the Ironworks was a steel fabrication company hence the occasional traffic.

Despite collecting photos of Trench for 40 years they are a bit thin on the ground, so I only had 1photo to give to Peter to model the signal box and unusually for an ex LNWR signal box the steps etc were on the "wrong end" and not seen on the photograph hence Peter having to "guess" the toilet and steps based on standard LNWR practice.

I now have to sort out a box to sit the signal box into and build the embankment around it.

The layout is progressing slowly, the baseboards built as is the trackwork and Peter has built the loco shed and these are the only 2 buildings on the layout.

David

• Like 2

Dover Priory Signal Box.

Modern Day

post-15693-0-72244200-1418314155_thumb.jpg

Bit of a work in progress this... Nearly finished, but requires a bit more fettling, toning down of weathering on lean-to paintwork - new sign to replace the over weathered one...

I actually built it up as it was and then gradually added in the modern day security measures...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My earlier reply was a bit rushed after getting in from work. If i had my way i'd build something like this 12 inch to the foot scale on the railway where i'm head of S&T.. I will have to settle for something smaller i feel but rest assured an ARP style flat top box will appear somewhere if it kills me. It may just look like this in fact....with thanks to google earth.attachicon.gifARP gate hut.jpgI'd say it had a three lever ground frame inside..

Is this the one between Fakenham and Walsingham

Hi Freebs,

Many thanks: sometimes its the simplest things that looks the best.  'Less is more', as they say. 

I have been wondering how to achieve a similar effect on a small station building I am fiddling with.  Probably best get on with it now!  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Paul