The Model Signal box portfolio

Hi Freebs,

Brilliant, excellent model and i love that tin hut, very realistic.

cheers

Peter

Thanks, Peter, I had a lot of fun building it, and am more than pleased with it - just need to find somewhere for it now... will possibly be considering point rodding at some point, but have no idea where to start...

>>>it is not too dissimilar to Swanage from memory, definatley LSWR, correct me if i'm wrong......

The kit is based on Alresford, which was a L&SWR 'Type 1' box. Swanage was a 'Type 3a' - lots more glass in the windows! Alresford is somewhat unusual for such boxes, in that the superstructure had been panelled over with sheet material rather than the usual weatherboarding.

Nice work, but I would point out that most signal-box diagrams (excepting such things as the GWR power boxes at Bristol TM etc) are black writing/lines/symbols on a white background. 

SR-Dixon,

Hi what a great box you have produced there, it is not too dissimilar to Swanage from memory, definatley LSWR, correct me if i'm wrong.

Is it for a layout you are building?

cheers

Peter

Hi, I believe its an lswr type 1 signal box, it was originally a kit for the arlesford on the mid hants railway, or watercress.

its for my first full railway project of my own design, just to gain experiance and have something to run stock on while im working on my prototype plans for feltham station, and if i win the lottery the marshalling yard too! as such ive dubbed this layout Feltenham, as im from feltham and my partner is from twickenham. I tried to dull the look of it down a bit as im planning the layout to be based on quite a miserable rainy day in the 1930's.

>>>it is not too dissimilar to Swanage from memory, definatley LSWR, correct me if i'm wrong......

The kit is based on Alresford, which was a L&SWR 'Type 1' box. Swanage was a 'Type 3a' - lots more glass in the windows! Alresford is somewhat unusual for such boxes, in that the superstructure had been panelled over with sheet material rather than the usual weatherboarding.

Nice work, but I would point out that most signal-box diagrams (excepting such things as the GWR power boxes at Bristol TM etc) are black writing/lines/symbols on a white background. 

Thanks for that info, i'll rectify that today, never actually been inside a signal box so i went on assumption. 

I need to redecorate the inside anyway as ive realised by the cruel eye of the camera how shoddy it looks!

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit tentative about adding my poor efforts compared to some of the stunning work in this thread, but here goes.

This is a model of the Midland box at Bakewell in the Peak District.

It started life as a Ratio kit, but I have modified it to match the prototype, and added a scratch built interior.

Purely for display purposes, here it is on a little test plank. It will eventually be added to the layout proper, and have a  stone plinth to stand on.

post-17302-0-55272000-1368875114_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19945400-1368875268_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

thought I would post a quick update on my Type 16 box.  As, hopefully, the attached photo will show I have been busy on the roof, adding a gutter and some asphalt.  Having got the shape and the profile right I covered it in a layer of fine emery paper which, whilst it didn't look bad, was a bit flat and featureless.  After a quick study of a number of buildings with felt covered roofs where I work, I decided to have another go.  This time I have used a number of sheets, trimmed and scored, to give it a little more depth and definition ( I suspect the builders would have been hard-pressed to find a sheet of felt big enough to cover such a roof in a oner in any event?) The photo is a bit cruel in that it shows where some of the seams have not been sealed yet, but a careful application of white glue followed by a couple of coats of panzer grey and then a thin black wash will work wonders (fingers crossed!) Progress is a little slower than I would like  - the real world keeps encroaching - but I think I'm moving in the right direction.   I have now located all sorts of interesting white metal castings with which to fill the interior, and with CinC Home Command away for the weekend I hope to make some progress on the ladder. I should also start to do something about the doors (the white areas in the photo are merely structural blanks).   More anon. 

Best wishes,

Paul

Any progress Paul?

• RMweb Premium

Any progress Paul?

Evening everyone,

Further to Griff's post, thought I would post another quick picture just to try and maintain the momentum ( - at this end!)  Unfortunately the day job keeps getting in the way at the moment, so progress has been rather slower than I would like.  However, here is a snap of 'tother end of the box: a louvred vent and an external electrical access panel(?) have been added; the roof has also come up quite nicely.  Having had further thoughts about the asphalt roof, I scribed some additional lines to replicate more prototypical rolls of the stuff and went at it with a new tin of panzer  grey and some talcum powder.  The talc ensures the paint dries (very quickly) to a nice matt finish, but it also give it (to my eyes, at least) some pleasing shadows and contrasts, which makes it look as though it has been there a while and bleached in the sun.  I am still minded to give it a thin overall black wash and then dry-brush it to bring out some of the highlights, but I don't want to lose the aged look so will proceed carefully. 

Thanks to whoever out there is doing the raindance - the weekend looks to be far too wet to worry about cutting the front lawn, though I am sure I saw a giraffe out there earlier, so I might have to have a go!  Otherwise, some modelling looks to be on the cards. 

Happy modelling to one and all.

Paul

post-10582-0-11563000-1369347057_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Thought I would share with you a couple of pictures of another structure I have been working on.  Whilst not strictly a signal box as such, I have always assumed ( - admittedly, an approach fraught with pitfalls!) that such buildings are signalling-related on the basis of their locations, usually in close proximity to the running lines and lots of concrete cable troughs.   NB.  Mods, if this is inappropriate in this thread please feel free to move it as required and my apologies.

This one was based on pictures of similar buildings in the vicinity of Exeter Central and another one close to Exeter Riverside.  It was scaled from still photographs and videos by counting bricks, which is a much better cure for insomnia than counting sheep!  It normally sits on a concrete plinth, surrounded by concrete slabs and cable troughs: the plinth itself is already stuck down and surrounded by ballast - given that the board in question is currently leaning up against the wall in the back bedroom, photographing it in situ was not an option.  Reason for building it?  It just happened to be a credible way to hide two rather obtrusive surface-mounted point motors.  The camera has unkindly revealed a couple of raged seams that will need sorting before I attack it with the paint brush.  Oh well, it has only taken 7 years to get it to this stage!

If anybody can tell me what the real building is/was actually used for, please,  I would be grateful, particularly if it is not signalling-related: I would rather find out now than later on.  I cannot move it to a different location (the point motors will still be there!), but I can be suitably vague about what it is used for if required!  :scratchhead:

Best wishes,

Paul

post-10582-0-91107000-1369775422_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-64136700-1369775470_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it's a relay room but whether it's purpose is signalling or communication I'm not certain, I'll just assign it to the S&T engineers.

However thinking about it they did seem to appear at the same time as telegraph poles vanished (and replaced by cable troughs) also they're arrival didn't necessarily coincide with signalling improvements??? So my money is on at least some of them being exchanges for BR telephones.

Hows that for a 'sit on the fence answer' :jester:

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it's a relay room but whether it's purpose is signalling or communication I'm not certain, I'll just assign it to the S&T engineers.

However thinking about it they did seem to appear at the same time as telegraph poles vanished (and replaced by cable troughs) also they're arrival didn't necessarily coincide with signalling improvements??? So my money is on at least some of them being exchanges for BR telephones.

Hows that for a 'sit on the fence answer' :jester:

Cheers

Rob

Looking at the distribution of the doors and ventilation openings, together with the presence of two separate meter boxes, it could easily be half-and-half.

If it were purely a signalling relay room, it might be a rather larger than the very rationalised layout at Exeter Central would need.

Although I pass the prototype at least a couple of times a week, I have no recollection of when it first appeared. However, I would hazard a guess that it was part of the scheme that transferred control of Central from the old 'A' Box to Exeter Panel in 1985. There are a number of similar structures alongside the WR main line that date from the same period.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Thought I would share with you a couple of pictures of another structure I have been working on.  Whilst not strictly a signal box as such, I have always assumed ( - admittedly, an approach fraught with pitfalls!) that such buildings are signalling-related on the basis of their locations, usually in close proximity to the running lines and lots of concrete cable troughs.   NB.  Mods, if this is inappropriate in this thread please feel free to move it as required and my apologies.

This one was based on pictures of similar buildings in the vicinity of Exeter Central and another one close to Exeter Riverside.  It was scaled from still photographs and videos by counting bricks, which is a much better cure for insomnia than counting sheep!  It normally sits on a concrete plinth, surrounded by concrete slabs and cable troughs: the plinth itself is already stuck down and surrounded by ballast - given that the board in question is currently leaning up against the wall in the back bedroom, photographing it in situ was not an option.  Reason for building it?  It just happened to be a credible way to hide two rather obtrusive surface-mounted point motors.  The camera has unkindly revealed a couple of raged seams that will need sorting before I attack it with the paint brush.  Oh well, it has only taken 7 years to get it to this stage!

If anybody can tell me what the real building is/was actually used for, please,  I would be grateful, particularly if it is not signalling-related: I would rather find out now than later on.  I cannot move it to a different location (the point motors will still be there!), but I can be suitably vague about what it is used for if required!  :scratchhead:

Best wishes,

Paul

It's a relay room - to the then WR standard design which was used for the West of England Resignalling Scheme 1984 - 87.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dear Stationmaster, Dunsignalling and Griff,

thank you all for your kind responses to my earlier post and for  filling in another bit of the jigsaw for me.  The details you  provided suit both my timeline and my scenario perfectly - thankfully!  Phew.  My current intent is to finish the Type 16 box as it would have been towards the end of its working life as a 'box (or even perhaps just after, when used for another purpose.)  The presence of the new-build relay room would indicate that the resignalling has either been finished recently, or is at least well underway and almost there.  I can almost hear the 'dub' of an approaching '50 in the background....oh well, back to the modelling bench before I get all misty eyed!  Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Paul 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last Monday I was sat by the line at Sherbourne Castle... nice location but it was in need of a 50!

Glad that the scheme fits, it would be a shame to 'bin' a structure so lovingly (and skillfully) conceived.  The camera can be cruel but not so with your buildings I'm pleased to say, keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the distribution of the doors and ventilation openings, together with the presence of two separate meter boxes, it could easily be half-and-half.

If it were purely a signalling relay room, it might be a rather larger than the very rationalised layout at Exeter Central would need.

Although I pass the prototype at least a couple of times a week, I have no recollection of when it first appeared. However, I would hazard a guess that it was part of the scheme that transferred control of Central from the old 'A' Box to Exeter Panel in 1985. There are a number of similar structures alongside the WR main line that date from the same period.

John

It was built as part of the resignalling scheme. Exeter Central going live prior to Exeter Panel itself.

Pair of class 45's on the engineering trains connected with PW work.

Great looking model.

Edited by stadman

Here's a WIP shot of my box for "Minories" - it is something of a first attempt as I have not used plastic previously.  There is a lot of detail still to go, but the basic structure is just about there albeit that the roof is just dropped on.  It is a BTW LBSC "South London"  style box - though it does not look much like one without its valencing etc!

post-11380-0-39654400-1370770677_thumb.jpg

Just one question for people - these boxes were equipped with a huge ventilator / finial on the roof - anyone ever tried to scratch build one?

Best wishes,

Howard.

• Like 13

That looks superb! And is that the working point rodding I can see?! :)

You should see the one at Brough East, considering the size of the building housing the relay room you never guess the box opposite is two lines, absolute block each way with a crossover and a level crossing! It's enormous!

One thing I heard was that it was it was built to such a size with foundations suitable to allow a second storey for a powerbox to take control of a good chunk of the line.

• Like 1

Mick, James, Many thanks for the kind words.  Yes the point rodding works but it is not connected to the frame :secret: ​  

In truth, I'll feel a bit more confident when it is painted - that is usually where things go adrift...

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress, but here is a quick pic of where I have got to.  I have made a tentative start on the dreaded finial - but there are still four components to add!

Interior, eves brackets, cills and walkways to do - oh and a splash of paint...

post-11380-0-13042200-1371798701_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 10

After watching this thread for some time and admiring the handiworkf of others I know I need of some help. I have built several boxes based on the McKenzie & Holland type 3 drawing in the Signalling Study Group/OPC book of box designs but at present none have the outside steps. Why? i have no idea how to construct them to an approximation of scale. (P4)

According to the Westinghouse drawing (plate 128) the stairs rose ~28' at about 45 degrees. Construction was all timber, treads 2'6"long x 7" x 1 3/4" with 8" rise between each of 13 treads.

I have achieved a satisfactory CAD drawing to drive my laser cutter but how do I assemble everything to achieve a visually OK look, with each tread evenly spaced, horizontal side to side and not tilted.?

As there are so many examples of realistic looking stairs bu contributors  may I beg some advice?

Jerry