The Model Signal box portfolio

I hesitate to include my card [kit] Isfield signal box here amongst this high-end thread, but feel that ABM's kits deserve a little exposure, they are printed and die-cut from comparatively thin card and make up into attractive models. If you are into Southern and LBSCR do take a look.

http://abmrailcraft.weebly.com/

post-106-0-59651400-1384371729_thumb.jpg

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 12

Hi Chubber,

thanks for posting up, that's a lovely looking box, typical LBSC and very well modelled, very tidy :-), are you going to put an interior in it?

cheers

Peter

Thank you, Peter, from a man of your diameter calibre  [:) ] I take that as a great compliment.

I shall eventually fit an interior when/if ever I get round to a little green or cream and green diorama instead of a light-stone/dark-stone one!

Sante

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Already posted elsewhere (my layout thread) but here is the almost finished signalbox, L&Y, based on Hebden Bridge. I need to add downpipes and the stove pipe, as well as signage but it's almost there.

CravensNewsround021_zpsf78b877d.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Jason,

thanks for posting up in the thread and is a lovely model, I have built a few of these LYR boxes over the years, are the windows from scratch or etch?

love the layout too, very Lanky atmosphere :-) as you probably know I too am a LYR modeller as both 'Shaw Bridge' and 'Wainthrop Bridge' were my Exhibition layouts in EM and now the new Lanky layout under way.

cheers

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter, thanks for the kind words; I was more nervous about tackling the signalbox than any other building on the layout but I am quite chuffed with how it came out. The windows are etched; I didn't fancy tackling such intricate frames in Microstrip (although I did mull it over when trying to get hold of the etches). 

Cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

here is Garsdale box in 4mm.

Peter, great work, as ever.

I like the way that you weather your buildings, particularly the cream-painted wooden structures, are there any techniques and tips you could share in that respect, please?

Thanks.

Some excellent work here, signalboxes are often quite unforgiving, so this is a seriously impressive portfolio.

Here are a couple of pictures to join in then...

post-21244-0-00304200-1389467230_thumb.jpg

From some time ago, this was my first attempt, a timber Metropolitan Railway box, with a hipped roof & A sun blind.

post-21244-0-27878000-1389467386_thumb.jpg

Peter Squibb built this lovely GW box for Bucks Hill, taken at Railex 2013

Cheers.......Paul

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Having followed this topic for a long time (as well as other threads started by gravytrain) and admired the many superb models I thought I should contribute. Here is a 4mm model of the Midland Type 2a box at Studley and Astwood Bank, built in plasticard about a year ago with Churchward Models' etched windows, parts from a Springside Models' interior detailing kit and Smiths' levers. Finials filed from toothpicks using the Dremel as a lathe. I am not happy with the current nameplate - will have another go at that. Inspired by Captain Kernow I built the Midland lever frame base from plasticard. Weathering and the stove pipe are still required. This was my second plasticard building, the first being the weighbridge office for the same site (starting small seemed a really good idea).

Bob Essery's excellent illustrated history of the "Ashchurch to Barnt Green Line" (ISBN 0 86093 562 0), the plans from Midlland Record Number 2 and a variety of other photographs were very helpful.The photograph of the token exchange was inspired by the

post-20290-0-66278700-1390790894_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-72411900-1390791163_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-51901700-1390791189_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Peter, I have to say that I was/am inspired and helped by your original signal box thread on the old rmweb and in particular the tutorial based around the 7mm Spratton box. I really admire your paint finishesand the crisp lines you always achieve! Keep the models coming. Cheers John