Hornby Castles Cheap at Argos

edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Yes I registered an interest to be emailed when they came back into stock, that was over a month ago - and no email - someone else in another thread has said that this has been the case for months

Yes, these "special offers" have been on the Argos site for months now, with seemingly no stock available; indeed I did check the Schools, at least, nationwide and there was no stock - using this website:-

http://www.icheckstock.co.uk/Default.aspx

• RMweb Gold

I've received the following email back from Argos.

Subject: Stock availability of catalogue number 396/6000.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the availability of the Hornby Castle Class 'Beverston Castle' Steam Locomotive.

I am very sorry you have been unable to purchase the item you wanted. I have looked into this for you and I am sorry to advise that the item has been discontinued and we will no longer be receiving further stock.

The item is on the website so that we can clear the stock remaining in some stores across the UK. I hope that you can find a suitable alternative from our wide product range.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Andrew McAuslan

Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

The item is on the website so that we can clear the stock remaining in some stores across the UK.

So it's on the website - where anybody anywhere can see it, but not buy it - and there's no indication where the stock actually is, in case it's within reasonable range and you want to drive over there? Is it just me, or is that an odd way to do business?

• RMweb Premium

There deliveries go from a central warehouse not the store,

I guess one or two stores must still have stock, though given the website only let's you check two at a time it will be hard to find them

The 3rd party site I linked to above lets you check all stores nationwide.

The 3rd party site I linked to above lets you check all stores nationwide.

So being diligent about that, and checking every store for a particular product, it should in theory be possible to disprove this:

The item is on the website so that we can clear the stock remaining in some stores across the UK.

Although I suspect most folk will just forget about it, and write it off as another example of the mealy mouthed hopelessness that characterises so many big British retailers :rolleyes:

Not certain how the third party site works but there is something really odd with the store search on the Argos web site. Twice this week I have had it come with the item out of stock at the two nearest stores but in stock at the third, but then when I click on the link to see more stores it says it is out of stock at all ten nearest stores. I have then gone back a page and reserved the item at the third store. So if the third party site is using a multiple search for localities it may be getting duff information back.

I am privy to the internal workings of the aforementioned retailer and from what I know all items on the website are dispatched from a central warehouse - unless you specifically reserve an item for collection in store that's where it'll come from. What usually happens in this case is any stores with stock will return it to Head Office that's why it lists as not in stock for branch checking - as for the errors I have no idea sadly. I should also mention that as a usual disclaimer third party websites are not the most reliable source of information you should always confirm the details with the actual retailers website too.

I am basing experience from my past retail experience too. Now if you want the model and are willing to pay for it; have you tried supporting your local model emporium rather then the faceless corporate empire - sure it costs a little more initially but what about in the long run? :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Now if you want the model and are willing to pay for it; have you tried supporting your local model emporium rather then the faceless corporate empire - sure it costs a little more initially but what about in the long run? :D

Personally, yes. I buy from a variety of sources; if a loco is new out and something I really want (like the Bachy 3F), I'll happliy patronise my local shop. But when something is a more discretionary purchase and is stupidly cheap elsewhere, it's quite annoying to find that it's almost impossible to buy at that price.

Another problem that I have come across with Argos is that a stock check will not show uo an item in the small local store at a time when that shop is closed. The larger stores are linked to the main computer but it would seem that the smaller ones are not. This means that doing a search will not always show up an item that is actually in stock. I only found this out as on one search over the holiday it came up with the message re unable to check stock. It has previously simply returned a nil stock message. All I wanted was a game of Scrabble. Sold out just about every where. :no:

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I am privy to the internal workings of the aforementioned retailer and from what I know all items on the website are dispatched from a central warehouse - unless you specifically reserve an item for collection in store that's where it'll come from. What usually happens in this case is any stores with stock will return it to Head Office that's why it lists as not in stock for branch checking - as for the errors I have no idea sadly.

Cheers,

~ Gary

So, shouldn't items that have been returned to the central warehouse show as available for home delivery on the website then, or else how is anybody supposed to buy them? None of the big discount Hornby items I've checked have shown as available for home delivery. i.e. to all intents and purposes they are impossible to buy. Usually the last dregs of stock turn up via Argos's EBay outlet, but I've not seen any of these items there.

• RMweb Gold

So, shouldn't items that have been returned to the central warehouse show as available for home delivery on the website then, or else how is anybody supposed to buy them? None of the big discount Hornby items I've checked have shown as available for home delivery. i.e. to all intents and purposes they are impossible to buy. Usually the last dregs of stock turn up via Argos's EBay outlet, but I've not seen any of these items there.

I do wonder if it's all something of a 'come on' exercise as far as Argos are concerned and once they've got you through the virtual door they are hoping you'll mooch around and spend your cash on something else?

From what I can see they all have an "online exclusive" banner. Presumably they are not exclusive to Argos given they are standard Hornby items, but only available online and not in stores. Suggests the answer given by the company is just corporate spin and it is more likely as the Stationmaster suggests a bit of bait to reel you in.

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if it's all something of a 'come on' exercise as far as Argos are concerned and once they've got you through the virtual door they are hoping you'll mooch around and spend your cash on something else?

Yep,looks like the old 'bait and switch' in action!, those 'offers' have been on the site for at least 2 months now, if limited stocks were available then they'd have run out weeks ago.

• RMweb Gold

Yep,looks like the old 'bait and switch' in action!, those 'offers' have been on the site for at least 2 months now, if limited stocks were available then they'd have run out weeks ago.

Yes - I saved the link way back in November because at that price it was well worth it for the tender(!!!) and some repaint and detail attacks doing a spot of mix & match. But every time I looked the story on the site remained the same

Most likely yes - my usual experience has taught me that's how it should work - unless of course the items where whipped up. In my last job we had the same issue, a Hornby recall to head office for home shopping. However before it was sent the item was purchased (by me) and thus not sent; however the website was only updated with the ranges as part of the promotion on the promotional change so for two months the website advertised a NCB J94 tank engine as an 'Online Exclusive Deal - Out of Stock' until the promotion ended. :D

From what I can see they all have an "online exclusive" banner. Presumably they are not exclusive to Argos given they are standard Hornby items, but only available online and not in stores. Suggests the answer given by the company is just corporate spin and it is more likely as the Stationmaster suggests a bit of bait to reel you in.

I agree on both points - I think the Online exclusive banner would relate to the items only being available at that price from the website, if one was in store it wouldn't be at the same price as online - rather then exclusive to Argos in this case. I totally agree that its Corporate spin, reel you in for one Castle its not available but suggests you look at another Castle loco that is in stock and not on the offer.

Happy New Year to all!

~ Gary

(P.S. I will look the SKU's up tomorrow in the local branch and see what happens)

These popped up in the summer and suggest Hornby clearing the warehouse with a partner in the same way they did it last summer via their Amazon shop. Clearly Argos had the cheaper cut this year to offer the clearance.

They should have been removed by now as they really aren't there anymore.

Archived