Western Branch Lines (Capital Transport)

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I feel it is my urgent and solemn duty to inform all lovers of the GW and Western Region of this brilliant new photo album, recently released by Capital Transport - http://www.capitaltransport.com/ (ISBN 978-185414-353-2).

The book is in the same style as other recent releases of theirs over the last couple of years or so, including 'Western Steam in Devon & Cornwall', 'Somerset & Dorset Sunset', 'Southern Branchlines' etc.

The coverage is excellent, albeit understandable patchy, considering that there are views from branch lines in the London area, down through Wiltshire, Somerset to the South West, and also in various parts of Wales.

It is (in my view) absurdly good value at £16.95, considering that this is a quality, hardback production.

I bought mine from His Nibs at http://titfield.co.uk/, but clearly there other options as well. I just walked into Simon's shop in Larkhall, Bath just before Christmas, with the specific objective of retrieving a book he'd borrowed from me, and a slightly more vague notion of blagging a cup of tea and some biscuits, and one of the first things I saw was this book on display on his 'new arrivals' stand - finding it made my day (and certainly made for a less dull train journey home afterwards!).

post-57-0-95064100-1325707804.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Is there much coverage of South Devon and Cornwall CK ?

South West photos are not necessarily of well-known places, which for me is brilliant. There are a couple of views of the Taunton - Yeovil branch (Lyng & Martock), some good shots of the Chard branch, including a couple of lovely views of Ilminster, Weymouth Quay tramway, Tiverton - Hemyock (really good), Exe Valley line, Plymouth - Launceston (4 shots), Saltash & Liskeard, Looe branch, including an amazing view taken from Moorswater Viaduct in 1959, looking down on the old loco shed, where these days the new A38 'Dobwalls Bypass' now goes, a couple of views of the Lostwithiel - Fowey line, one view each of Wadebridge and Bodmin General, the Helston branch and a few views of the St. Ives branch. This is followed by a superb shot of a 58XX on the Malmesbury goods in 1960...

It's really, really good!

David Soggee, still very much with us though getting on a bit, is a fine photographer who started shooting colour in the 1950s and had an eye for lesser known locations and subjects. I am not aware that his work has appeared in print before - open to correction, of course - so I'm looking forward to seeing this tome!

Chris

David Soggee, still very much with us though getting on a bit, is a fine photographer who started shooting colour in the 1950s and had an eye for lesser known locations and subjects. I am not aware that his work has appeared in print before - open to correction, of course - so I'm looking forward to seeing this tome!

Chris

Come on Chris, he is so much more than that! If you ever get the chance to attend one of his shows please take it. He is a true raconteur with a very dry sense of humour.

Ed

I agree with Ed. I've seen him many times and admire his acerbic comments. In many ways he is a man after my own heart - and, of course, a far better photographer.

Anyone within reach of Stevenage can see David at Stevenage Locomotive Society on Thursday 23rd February, taking as his subject "More Byways Adventures". Ed and I will be there but don't let that deter you.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Dave Soggee was one of a number of "young gentlemen" who used to meet every Thursday night in a different nominated London pub, and discuss everything from trains to coastal cruising, while supporting the then-resurgent real-ale movement. The majority were railwaymen but "knowledgeable amateurs" were also admitted. This was in the mid-70s - and some were far from young then! I have no idea whether they still keep in touch, but the Grim Reaper has had his evil way with a number of them to my knowledge, e.g. Chris Gammell.

EDIT : A propos this book, I think the membership included a former station master at Hemyock, as well as a chap who occupied the station house at Filleigh.

• RMweb Gold

Based on the good Cap'n's recommendation I arranged yesterday with Kevin Robertson to have a copy available for me to buy today at Maidenhead - and what a super tome it is, Western Region branchline essence through & through and so strong on atmosphere you can almost smell it; thoroughly recommended without any reservations whatsoever. I also acquired Volume 3 of Noddle Books 'Impermanent Ways The Closed Lines Of Britain'. Volume 3 covers Wiltshire and is not dissimilar in some respects although it shows mostly later and much sadder scenes than those portrayed in 'Western Branchlines'.

Volume 3 is newly published; if other volumes are coming in numerical order to follow are Volume 4, Devon and Volume 5, Somerset and I reckon they'll be worth 12 quid a throw if they're as good as this one. I took no notice in the past of Volumes 1 & 2 which dealt with Hampshire/Iow and Sussex respectively but they are by the same compiler and are probably worth a look for those inclined southwards.

Incidentally the chap Ian mentions above as 'a former Station Master at Hemyock' is quite likely to have been Fred Pugh who was Station Master at Tiverton Junction at one time as this would have been very much his area of interest in most respects (steam trains and beer) and he is mentioned, as it happens, in 'Western Branch Lines'.

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally the chap Ian mentions above as 'a former Station Master at Hemyock' is quite likely to have been Fred Pugh who was Station Master at Tiverton Junction at one time as this would have been very much his area of interest in most respects (steam trains and beer) and he is mentioned, as it happens, in 'Western Branch Lines'.

Spot on, Mike! My other reference was to Roger Joanes, who I'm not sure I ever met, but whose residence at Filleigh was clearly envied by other members finding themselves stuck in the straight-jacket of work in the SE!

• RMweb Gold

Spot on, Mike! My other reference was to Roger Joanes, who I'm not sure I ever met, but whose residence at Filleigh was clearly envied by other members finding themselves stuck in the straight-jacket of work in the SE!

And completely OT but in more recent years Fred has been the Mayor of Reading (and involved in stirring up a number of things in his time as a Councillor in Caversham) - and, pause for thought, it's now over 40 years since i first knew him when he was in Traffic Costing in the London Division of the Western; small railway as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

I obtained a copy from Bruce Smetham at St Albans on Sunday - his last one, though later I saw a copy on another stand. From a necessarily brief scrutiny it appears to have few if any of the caption howlers that plague so many books and magazines these days. It was particularly good to see Treherbert and Maerdy featured, but as a fan of the Valleys I would say that! Verdict: a bargain at £16.95.

Chris

Archived