MHR on Portillo's Railway Journeys

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

As the title says the Mid Hants Railway is featured this coming Tuesday (10th) on BBC2 at 18-30. Don't know much about it, apparently he has a go on the footplate of something or the other.

Not sure if it qualifies as a 'Great British Railway Journey' either.........!!

• RMweb Gold

Well I thought the MHR content was slightly underwhelming - the rest was excellent though. Chris Yates, who was the driver can usually be seen charging up and down the country on steam specials as his day job is firing these things for West Coast Railways.

Apparently there's some more MHR related content in the next programme as MP visits Eastleigh works where we are restoring 30925 'Cheltenham' back to it's former glory.

• RMweb Gold

Well I thought the MHR content was slightly underwhelming - the rest was excellent though. Chris Yates, who was the driver can usually be seen charging up and down the country on steam specials as his day job is firing these things for West Coast Railways.

Apparently there's some more MHR related content in the next programme as MP visits Eastleigh works where we are restoring 30925 'Cheltenham' back to it's former glory.

The continuity was pretty shocking, but that’s a persistent problem with this series anyway! Otherwise I thought it was a nice little piece, and good publicity for the line if nothing else!

Tom.

Tonights not so good to much GWR but interesting to see the Maidenhead bridge in some detail.

Give me a shout if you want some pictures of it, I pass by the bridge quite often

I was dissapointed with the section of the programe on the isle of wight, spending a long time talking about rock and cliffs when the island had some parts of railway heritage that wouldn't have been known to the average viewer, such as the pier at Ryde etc and a self contained, working railway system that was only passinly refered to as '...had 30 miles of railway'

Can't watch it here, BBC I-Player says it is not available for viewing in USA. Pity, I enjoyed the earlier series.

Bloody shame that, isn't it? I think they should show some of this on BBC America instead of the endless repeats they schedule........

Best, Pete.

Tonights not so good to much GWR but interesting to see the Maidenhead bridge in some detail.

Well I guess that is unavoidable given the location. If it were all LMS you'd have every right to claim continuity issues, but traveling on the original GWR lines through Slough and Maidenhead I guess it is only right to be GWR.

I still think these series are extremely watchable programs as long as you realise that they are not potted history of the railways and more of a tourism puller based on Bradshaw as a guide book.

He also comes across as the quintessential English Gentleman always polite, almost nauseatingly so, well spoken and well informed. I'm sure the program sells well abroad and anything to attract ssomeone to come here and see more of the country than just London must be good.

Bloody shame that, isn't it? I think they should show some of this on BBC America instead of the endless repeats they schedule........

Best, Pete.

Such as another airing of Kevin Costner as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I think that was shown as least five times in 2011.

Andy

Lasts nights wasnt to bad ,but a pity he didnt do more on IOW the lads at the IOW RLY deserve some publicity ,missed out also when talking about the potting clay they could have talked about the narrow gauge clay lines on Perbeck.Overrall its still interesting though.

Archived