Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Plausible Fictitious Unusual Workings on Your Layout

Hi

My Fictitious/daft working to contribute is a Virgin 87, with track cleaning coach, with two class 110 vehicles, pretending to drag the unit off for repairs to keep things "real"NL

Make sure you tag a brakevan on the back then !!!!

I have a very hazy recollection that the Diddymen transported everything on a 1970s gravy train, so I'd suggest 45T TTA tank wagons.

Good idea, but they need to be the variant with the heating coils for steaming the gravy out

Plausibility is the key.

I intend to acquire an NBL D63xx for the sole purpose of covering the Worcester - Walsall vans on Wednesdays, strictly because the engine worked an additional "sweeper up" service back to Worcester.

The other diversion from reality is the acquisition of some insulated containers by Messr Palethorpes to replace the LMS design sausage vans. British Railways invested in a Coles crane for Sedgeley loadiing platform to crane the containers onto conflats.

In looking at the Caterham/Tattenham Corner branches for modelling ideas I found quite a few "odd" pictures for the early 1960s, including an N-class hauled troop train in Purley on the Caterham branch and a Stanier 8F at East Croydon going to Brighton with a 21-carriage pidgeon special from Newcastle. Considering the Brighton line was such an "electric only" line at the time I am using these (and enthusiast' specials and inter-regional workings) as an excuse for LOTS of oddities.

When the railways were Nationalized, ideas were floated to take advantage of the abolition of company boundaries. One was a through train off the GWR into Blaenau from the South over the LMS to Llandudno on the North Wales Coast. Nothing came of the idea but it gives an inkling of early thinking on BR and the possibility of plausible fictitious workings in model form.

This is why I intend extending the jointly owned LNWR/GCR trains that ran from Guide Bridge to Oldham through Lees and Grotton as far as Greenfield therebye saving a change of trains in Oldham. Thus workmans trains can return down the direct route via the Standedge mainline though Stalybridge because Guide Bridge trains did in fact work into Stalybridge. It gives me the plausible excuse for working ex GCR/LNER locals on my layout and gives the Oldham Branch passenger services a better reason for survival beyond 1955 instead of being fatally linked to the Delph Branch. Oldham, Ashton & Guide Bridge trains would still have ceased in 1959 but on my layout thats three years into the future.

..... with a 21-carriage pidgeon special from Newcastle. ......

And Pigeon Specials got all over the place from North of England (both sides) to along the South Coast.

Pre-Group up to the early 60's, the stock was from different companies, not so sure about the loco power all the way though.

And Pigeon Specials got all over the place from North of England (both sides) to along the South Coast.

Pre-Group up to the early 60's, the stock was from different companies, not so sure about the loco power all the way though.

Pigeons was transported on the NLL DC lines - I remember seeing the pigeon baskets being loaded into the guards compartment of the Class 501s at Carpenders Park station

XF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stuartp

I half expect StuartP's Portwilliam in due course to feature the Garlieston railtour consisting of Caley 0-6-0 and a rake of wooden Highs, rammed with hardy railtourists. :)

post-270-0-35128500-1327185085.jpg

Anyone know where I can get several dozen tweedy gentlemen with Roliflexes in 4mm ?

The day we'll start to worry is when a plain green 350 shunter appears at Culreoch with a brake van University Railway Society special....

Not plain green, but this is D3926 of Dumfries, on hire to the Portwilliam Harbour Tramway until I get around to building something even less prototypical.

post-270-0-08169100-1327185112.jpg

I had tom come up with some rather implausible workings on my old east end of Circle Line exhibition layout to allow other operators to play with their own trains. I ended up with a rake of meat vans which could be used on a trip to Smithfield goods, but coming in from the opposite end to usual, possibly via the LTS and the Whitechapel and Bow. I've got a horrible feeling it was one of these workings that took a nose dive off the end of the east end fiddle yard at Leytonstone one year and converted one of Colin's SR brake vans back into a kit!

I don't know whether I ever apologised for that...

Sorry Colin!

I had tom come up with some rather implausible workings on my old east end of Circle Line exhibition layout to allow other operators to play with their own trains. I ended up with a rake of meat vans which could be used on a trip to Smithfield goods, but coming in from the opposite end to usual, possibly via the LTS and the Whitechapel and Bow. I've got a horrible feeling it was one of these workings that took a nose dive off the end of the east end fiddle yard at Leytonstone one year and converted one of Colin's SR brake vans back into a kit!

I don't know whether I ever apologised for that...

Sorry Colin!

Meat vans whizziing around the Circle Line - a bit like a big boxed meal on a giant microwave oven turntable! :wacko:

XF

Reading post #57 above, and the tweedy gentlemen on a rail special presumably, I am reminded I have ran the occasional LNWR train of 8 or 9 Goods Brake Vans + a Picnic Saloon, highly unlikely, but hopefully meets the OP's criteria - it also gets the odd 'smirk' at exhibitions, but it is MY train-set..

I think that Rail Tours were given special dispensation to run on "closed to passenger" lines.

31 Aug 1954. B-Special- Reporting No. W 699 (Contd)

(The Stephenson Locomotive Society and the Manchester Locomotive Socieity) West Cumberland Tour (contd)

D.O.S BARROW to provide an Inspector to travel with the train and to be responsible for seeing that all points not fitted with a facing point lock which requires to ber passed over in the facing direction are securely clipped.

Special authority is given for the above train to work from Workington Main to Buckhill and from Buckhill to Workington Central with an engine coupled at either end.

Special Authority is also given for a class 3F (0-6-0) Furness locomotive to work over the following sections of line for the occasion of workign the above speical train:-

Marron Juction-Camerton (William Pit).

Calva Junction- Buckhill

In the notes which accomany this , it indicates that the rail tour was operating over some lines which had been closed for passenger service for ~23 years (13 Apr, 1931).

The tour is listed as being : The West Cumberland Railtour, Sunday, September 5th, 1954.

Hope that helps,

James

Guest stuartp

As late as 1993 I was involved in running round the VSOE with passengers on in the P.Way yard at Appleby - the timings were such that arrival at Appleby coincided with serving the evening meal, so the normal method of turfing out all the punters and running round in the yard whilst they all walked over the bridge to the other platform wasn't really an option. As far as I recall the line was patrolled the day before and a couple of loose keys replaced. The Special Instructions for the event stated that it had to be patrolled again immediately prior to arrival, the P.Way man must remain on site until departure, and there had to be an Operating Department representative there (me). All points to be clipped and scotched for all movements, and no loose shunting or any other shennanigans (what exactly York thought we were going to loose shunt out of a loco and 12 Pullmans I don't know but no doubt it made somebody feel better). There was a brief debate on the evening as to whether we should scotch the set while the loco ran round - we normally relied on the handbrake and the vacuum not leaking off too quickly with ECS - I think in the end we didn't on the grounds that we were bound to forget and run over one on the way back out.

Archived